I'm asking "Why?"

Pennineman:
Why do MOD camouflage’d trucks have yellow/orange reflectors on the back ■■?

Because they are a legal requirement…?

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

ezydriver:

Winseer:
(9) WHY are so few youngsters interested in taking up driving - even on a paid-for course by the government?

When was the last time you saw a driver’s son in the passenger seat?

Youngsters have no early exposure to the job like many of us did with our dads.

I got disciplined once for having my girlfriend in my cab… No, not by the girlfriend btw.

Winseer:

ezydriver:

Winseer:
(9) WHY are so few youngsters interested in taking up driving - even on a paid-for course by the government?

I got disciplined once for having my girlfriend in my cab… No, not by the girlfriend btw.

Me too. Whilst working for David Bratts I took my ex to TNT at Atherstone (or was it Kingsbury?) back in 2005. Nobody approached me at the TNT depot, but a few days later I was suddenly called into the office at Bratts.

In regard to Winseers number two question, I reckon there’s more rubber there than across the road on Heathrows runway. Gate nine northbound on the M3 is just as bad for the 34 split.

Winseer:
(1) WHY is it that the higher right-hand bore of the dartford tunnel is closed more often than the lower Left-hand bore?
There always seems to be a double decker being turned around when I pass that way each night these days…

(2) WHY don’t people drive more carefully - when they see multiple skid marks all over the road for hundreds of yards… Places like J1-J2 M25, or J5 M4 eastbound with the M25…

(3) WHY do trampers leave one back door open, showing load inside - when it is pouring with rain, and the “Load” still looks like it’s worth nicking?

(4) WHY aren’t the potholes that rip the steering wheel out of your hands filled first rather than the ones on the hard shoulder?

(5) WHY doesn’t plod/VOSA deal with foreign trucks parking under motorway bridges properly?

(6) WHY do employers lie to their own drivers as much as they do?

(7) WHY do more drivers prefer “early doors” for less money, when all you’re gonna do when getting home - is fall asleep in front of the telly? (“It’s the social life” they tell me - but this can’t be true, surely?)

(8) WHY do hauliers throw away ££££’s on “bad handling” and “stock damage” whilst refusing to ever throw away £££s on wages for the drivers who do take more care?

(9) Don’t know if 29 is counted as a youngster but i’ll soon become a driver :slight_smile:

But hang on… paid for by the government■■? send me a link to this course please or name of the school/course handler.

It always makes me smile when I read about attracting/retaining drivers.

Pay as little as possible (recent posts about Turners comes to mind) sometimes little better than the NMW and talk to/treat them like dirt…and then whinge that the industry is 50,000 drivers short…

Well…HELLO

albion:

Mazzer2:

ezydriver:

Winseer:

You must have missed me last week had the boy out for 2 weeks, 2 trips over to France welcome everywhere except in the UK and especially on the Stena Birkenhead to Belfast you can go on with a car full of children but turn up with one in a lorry and the place goes into meltdown. :imp: :imp:

I wouldn’t mind kids going out on our job when it’s single manned, but I cannot think of a single place we deliver to, that would let them in. It’s a shame, it’s good bit of non academic education for them.

I’ve had varous nephews and a niece out with me. Mostly no problems with access, although we don’t often go to big places. One nephew “Had a go” on a fork lift in Italy. A proper big 'un too in Genoa docks. Can’t see that happening too often nowadays. I must admit I was surprised too.
Let them see a bit of the world of work.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Franglais:
I’ve had varous nephews and a niece out with me. Mostly no problems with access, although we don’t often go to big places. One nephew “Had a go” on a fork lift in Italy. A proper big 'un too in Genoa docks. Can’t see that happening too often nowadays. I must admit I was surprised too. Let them see a bit of the world of work.

When I was 11 and 12 (in 1990-91) my dad used to let me drive his Ford Cargo 0815 round customers’ yards at Thurrock, Rossendale, and Preston, and neither customer had a problem with it. It’s where I learnt to drive. I definitely couldn’t see that happening now. He used to let me lean across and steer it down motoways from age 9 lol.

When I think back to those days versus the H&S crap and inward facing cameras we have now, I almost want to weep.

Why is there only 1 monopoly commission?

Why, as a kid, did my parents send me to bed when I was wide awake & wake me up when I was fast asleep?

ezydriver:

Franglais:
I’ve had varous nephews and a niece out with me. Mostly no problems with access, although we don’t often go to big places. One nephew “Had a go” on a fork lift in Italy. A proper big 'un too in Genoa docks. Can’t see that happening too often nowadays. I must admit I was surprised too. Let them see a bit of the world of work.

When I was 11 and 12 (in 1990-91) my dad used to let me drive his Ford Cargo 0815 round customers’ yards at Thurrock, Rossendale, and Preston, and neither customer had a problem with it. It’s where I learnt to drive. I definitely couldn’t see that happening now. He used to let me lean across and steer it down motoways from age 9 lol.

When I think back to those days versus the H&S crap and inward facing cameras we have now, I almost want to weep.

I think I first ‘drove’ when I was 4. I can remember sitting on my Dads knee steering the truck round Dove Holes quarry. I can remember watching molten steel being poured somewhere in a Sheffield steel works, that definitely wouldn’t happen today. Kids can learn so much by being out - it opens their eyes to the world of work so much and they learn how people interact outside of a family and friends group.

Why is the gradient of a hill signposted on A roads but not motorways.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

El Deano:
Why is the gradient of a hill signposted on A roads but not motorways.

:unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Well, balls!

Why when driving along a road and approaching an on slip do you see that it is completely devoid of traffic right up until you are beside it when you see to your left not one but ten cars all nose to tail with “careful Clarence” at the front doing 40mph?

“WHY”
has no one yet posted this link?

youtube.com/watch?v=HG7I4oniOyA

Franglais:
“WHY”

youtube.com/watch?v=GEstgTAXyec

Carryfast:

Franglais:
“WHY”

youtube.com/watch?v=GEstgTAXyec

…or this one, come to that… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuV2ID4PVgA

surely this one has to be the top contender of…why■■?

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=156122

Winseer:
‘…WHY is it that the higher right-hand bore of the dartford tunnel is closed more often than the lower Left-hand bore? There always seems to be a double decker being turned around when I pass that way each night these days…’

This has probably already been done but I’ve been away for yonks…

My 15’ 7" triggered the 15’ 9" L/H bore at 50 mph on my first time at running when the R/H bore was shut …and was right embarrassed when the disco lights and barriers went berzerk on me

I have learned that doing it at sub-30mph reduces the trailer bouncing into the height checking beam and thus ‘let’s you through’

However, dawdling through will undoubtedly cheese-off those tucked close-in behind. Too bad, but sodding heck, indeed :confused:

Incidentally, on turning-round past a Crossing Authority portakabin when I got the ‘NO-WAY’, a bird popped out and ‘sort-of’ waved herself about a bit, at which I ‘sort-of’ stopped to be told I coulda been prosecuted if any Highway dudes had been there - despite my admin and the trailer being x2 inches beneath the limit. Really? By which I mean REALLY■■

If your combination is clearly marked as 15’7" - then no one is doing any doing and there’s done all risk of being done, donny. :stuck_out_tongue: