I'm a new driver. Need help please :)

Ryan090:
I don’t really know to many roads of the top of my head I tend to rely on my sat nav until I get used to a bigger vehicle and get used to the roads better.

None of us did. You learn it as you go along.

Any advise on the above or how I can keep myself safer would be appreciated.

Defensive driving. If in doubt about what you see unfolding around you slow down or stop, let them get on with whatever calamity they’re trying to get themselves into and work with what is left. Everyone else on the road is an idiot - think like that and you won’t go wrong. And don’t get stressed out by pillocks. Many times you’ll come across idiots who carve you up to save 30 seconds or park in such a way you can’t get in/out of a place so little point getting worked up about it.

And as everyone else has said, delivery times are a guide, not a do or die. Worst that happens is you turn up and they reject it so you take it back.

Conor:

Ryan090:

Defensive driving. If in doubt about what you see unfolding around you slow down or stop, let them get on with whatever calamity they’re trying to get themselves into and work with what is left. Everyone else on the road is an idiot - think like that and you won’t go wrong. And don’t get stressed out by pillocks. Many times you’ll come across idiots who carve you up to save 30 seconds or park in such a way you can’t get in/out of a place so little point getting worked up about it.

And as everyone else has said, delivery times are a guide, not a do or die. Worst that happens is you turn up and they reject it so you take it back.

Good advice!
Just take your time reversing or driving in places,always stop outside and have a look at where you need to get to,dont listen to the customer if you think you wont get in then dont!
They will say things like “we have had bigger lorries than that in here etc…”
Remember we were all new once,and i still get drops i dont know and always get out and look even if another driver has given me directions,always best to be safe.

Good luck and enjoy it! :slight_smile:

Bungle666:
as merc0047 has said, SPLIT your rest breaks! it allows for more flexibility! if you start at 6am have a 15 late in the morning to keep the WTD happy You’ll need it before 1300 anyway), then have your 30 later if you need it for the drivers hours regs!

Ahem…

I don’t like to be a nitpicker but if you’re gonna give advice get it right.

If you start at 6 you need to get that 15 minute WTD break in before 12.00 not 13.00. :wink:

And your working day starts when you book on at work NOT when you decide to stick your card in!

Sidevalve:

Bungle666:
as merc0047 has said, SPLIT your rest breaks! it allows for more flexibility! if you start at 6am have a 15 late in the morning to keep the WTD happy You’ll need it before 1300 anyway), then have your 30 later if you need it for the drivers hours regs!

Ahem…

I don’t like to be a nitpicker but if you’re gonna give advice get it right.

If you start at 6 you need to get that 15 minute WTD break in before 12.00 not 13.00. :wink:

good spot! see i was testing ya :smiley: :smiley: (actually in reality i was bladdered last night, and my brain wasn’t working right :smiley:)

B…

So much good advice here it’s hard to see how you could possibly go wrong …but i bet you do ,we all have ,we’ve all missed deliveries ,all been annoyed by a moron on the road or on a FLT ,taken wrong turns even overran our driving times and we all learned not to panic .This thread is proof that there are drivers out there prepared to help ,don’t be too proud to ask for it

Good luck

Dont worry about doing your run quickly, you’ll only end up smashing the truck in which will cost far more than the company taking a few drops off you… In my experience you’ll feel like your taking ages to do your run compared to all the other drivers but thats to be expected, the people you’ll be working with will have done many of the drops before and will just be in the swing of it… Anyone taking you on even if their a cowboy outfit should understand your lack of experience and will allow for this, but this may only last a week :laughing:

As been said before it takes time. Simple things like knowing who it is you need to sign the paperwork and which door you need to go to to get unloaded. All things that take time to learn but save time the next time you come to do it.

Example 3663 Worthing - office always booking pallets in for 9am - warehouse staff go on a 20 minute tea break at 9am. Planning at its best but if you’re polite and not arsey they’ll help you out.

m1cks:
As been said before it takes time. Simple things like knowing who it is you need to sign the paperwork and which door you need to go to to get unloaded. All things that take time to learn but save time the next time you come to do it.

Example 3663 Worthing - office always booking pallets in for 9am - warehouse staff go on a 20 minute tea break at 9am. Planning at its best but if you’re polite and not arsey they’ll help you out.

Yeh ,we got one of those ,a load at Kobuch booked for 7am will never happen because that’s the shift change which takes at least 20 mins .time for a cuppa and a bacon sarnie :grimacing:

When I worked for Hovis a few years ago,25 drops…took me 13 hrs the first day :blush: :blush: :blush:
7 hrs the next day :sunglasses:
It’s all about knowing about front door/back door,break times,drive in /reverse in etc.
It gets easier,honest :wink:

Cant really add to any of this although a satnav is a useful tool as ling as its not relied on especially in londo take a few extra mins to plan your route using both map and sat nav then use the satnav as a guide if the road looks a little iffy either take a stroll down or find another route get a few numbers of drivers you work with as im sure theyd help you out. And dont get dragged down by drivers who come out with the old tosh of “this jobs not like it used to be” and the usual moaning you get, the job s what you make of it, ive only been driving hgv for 6 years but im still enjoying it and if you can let the muppet car and flt drivers, the waiting room “ive been here there and everywhere in reverse using an eaton twin splitter and a switch to my fuse box” bollox and the traffic jams wash over you then you wont have a problem and dont forget if your not sure get out and look.