Illegal Migrants

Hey all, I’m new to this site and wanted to get some input from proper drivers who’s experienced this…
I know that illegal stow-aways are a serious problem and that you guys get fined to the moon and back if any is found. I’m a “part-time-inventor” and is busy designing a early warning system to help you detect if any is found on your vehicle. Any input is welcome so I know the system will work and help you.
Which types of trailers are the most vulnerable?
If my detection system finds any on your trailer, would a flashing warning light be sufficient? Is there anything else that would help instead?
I’ve done a google search and found nothing, but you have your ears on the ground, is there any such systems currently on the market?
Since the fines can run in the thousands, what would you (or your company) be willing to pay for such a system?

I’ll obviously monitor this post and welcome all feedback and suggestions and will gladly answer all questions. Since this is still only in the idea process and nothing on paper, I can’t at this stage give to much information.
Thank you for reading :slight_smile:

Happy trucking

God has already designed and patented the perfect detection device … it’s called the ‘Mk.1 eyeball’ :unamused:

Detecting them isn’t a huge problem as the government has spent a lot of time and money on
Scanners, dogs, etc., so not sure why a haulier would want a detection system of their own.

More and more drivers are either in on the game for money or do stupid things like stopping anywhere near Calais, or not in a secure parking place, not securing their trailers with the basic €10 padlock - which may buy some time, or take the attitude that it’s not their problem.

In opinion a better use of your time maybe to look at a cheap door alarm which can be taken from trailer to trailer with the ‘smarts’ installed in a unit. For example , when the doors are opened it triggers a warning noise/lights on/ etc.

padlocks, container locks, tir cords dont seem too stop them

Plambert:
Detecting them isn’t a huge problem as the government has spent a lot of time and money on
Scanners, dogs, etc., so not sure why a haulier would want a detection system of their own.

More and more drivers are either in on the game for money or do stupid things like stopping anywhere near Calais, or not in a secure parking place, not securing their trailers with the basic €10 padlock - which may buy some time, or take the attitude that it’s not their problem.

In opinion a better use of your time maybe to look at a cheap door alarm which can be taken from trailer to trailer with the ‘smarts’ installed in a unit. For example , when the doors are opened it triggers a warning noise/lights on/ etc.

My idea is sort of kind of in that general direction. That’s why I asked which sort of trailer is more likely to get attention, a curtain side or a container body?

Plambert:

I think the issue is that if the Govt sponsored system finds them, it costs the haulier big bucks - If you can detect them before the officials do, you do at least have the chance of turfing them out at minimal cost.

Wannabe101:

Plambert:

My idea is sort of kind of in that general direction. That’s why I asked which sort of trailer is more likely to get attention, a curtain side or a container body?

the only way too stop them would be put everything into containers or box vans

Roymondo:

Plambert:

I think the issue is that if the Govt sponsored system finds them, it costs the haulier big bucks - If you can detect them before the officials do, you do at least have the chance of turfing them out at minimal cost.

Yup, that’s exactly it. Like I said before, my idea is still a paper idea, but we talking maybe a few hundred pounds at most. Which off course in the long run, will save the driver and the company loads of money. I’m originaly from Sout Africa, so I know all about how to keep people out… without using gunpowder! :laughing:

Nitrogen blanket, job sorted. Well, apart from tippers.

And flats.

And curtainsiders.

And livestock movers.

And …

the maoster:

And flats.

And curtainsiders.

And livestock movers.

And …

Ok, so pretty much anything that moves?

pointless for me, if you watch the news this week you would have seen them cutting off padlocks, stopping vehicles (don’t know many drivers willing to jump out if a warning light went off).

its no different to fuel theft there are items on the market which can prevent this or deter the ‘opportunist’ these are desperate people who are irrational so an alarm or warning wont do jack am afraid.

unless you have a way of putting 20000 volts through the trailer when the driver pushes a button.

the maoster:

And flats.

And curtainsiders.

And livestock movers.

And …

Are livestock lorrys safe from folk getting inside :question: ,are these people willing to get in with animals getting covered in cack and risk getting crushed,anybody know of any incidents of this :question:

Thing is suppose you invent a device, what do you expect a driver to do if he suspect he has illegals on board ?
Find some unhelpful French Policeman ?
Turf them out on your Jack, with nothing but a tyre iron.

What really needed is some half decent attempts by the French to enforce the law.
Mass deportation from France(they are illegal there as well Presumably).
Far better security on the trucks. A pound land lock on a curtain sider isn’t good enough!

The London buses were and probably still are fitted with a driver operated assault alarm. This emits a piercing shriek of many, many decibels, far louder than a standard car alarm and operates the hazard warning lights in tandem. It would not be too difficult to adapt the system for use on a trailer. Activation could be by a number of means including possibly co2 monitoring.

there is something out there already. called a baby montitor :grimacing:

if they dont get in side they will be on your axles,

best one i have ever had was a chap holding on to my propshaft and he had put a belt around him and my propshaft to hold his weight :open_mouth: :grimacing:

Anyone know if all these people eventualy get to the uk from calais or do some give up and stay in France or even return South ?

seth 70:
Are livestock lorrys safe from folk getting inside :question: ,are these people willing to get in with animals getting covered in cack and risk getting crushed,anybody know of any incidents of this :question:

I’m sure the animals would soon get used to the smell and the filth! :smiley: :smiley:

It seems climbing inside the undercarriage of a Jumbo jet has fallen out of favour in recent weeks.

I’ve reported these posts to the ADL and to the Police.

Tea anyone?