Illegal immigarnts found in hubbys trailer

OH so as the title suggests, 4 chinese immigrants were found in hubbys trailer this morning by the border agency when they checked him at calais before coming back to england.

They were wrapped in bin bags and hiding between the pallets. He had no idea they were in there. He also had 600l of diesel nicked out of his tank last night as he slept. He checked his trailer this morning after discovering the fuel was missing and saw no evidence to suggest the trailer had been tampered with.

Not a great start to the day obviously. Does anyone know what is likely to happen?

jimb0j40:
OH so as the title suggests, 4 chinese immigrants were found in hubbys trailer this morning by the border agency when they checked him at calais before coming back to england.

They were wrapped in bin bags and hiding between the pallets. He had no idea they were in there. He also had 600l of diesel nicked out of his tank last night as he slept. He checked his trailer this morning after discovering the fuel was missing and saw no evidence to suggest the trailer had been tampered with.

Not a great start to the day obviously. Does anyone know what is likely to happen?

that will be £2000 per person border agency payable or take lorry away

Had a few of these over the last few years… although the problem has reduced now around the Calais area they are getting in further away from the Docks.
The Company…and the driver will be contacted and a fine will be levied.
The olny way to Mitigate the actual fine is to show / demonstate that the driver has made checks upon loading and indeed en route to the Port as and when he stopped… Usually in the form of a check sheet…to be completed every time he stops… and yes I relaise this does not happen but to show he has checked the truck / trailer this must be produced.
I am assuming the trailer was padlocked and sealed maybe ■■
Any little piece of evidence you can provide will result if the fine being reduced.
Good luck.
Regards, Neville.

jimb0j40:

UKBA are sticklers for documentary checks, a check sheet, signed and dated, when loading, when parked, & when doing morning checks. If the trailer is sealed and recorded, the cord is fitted and the trailer is not damaged is the only thing they will accept.

Where was he parked?

sadly trailer does not have the facility to be sealed/padlocked. the ones he usually is given do.

apparently they got in through the curtains. :frowning:

He was parked in some services about an hour away from Calais.

If they were found onboard in Calais wont it be a simple Chinese Takeaway?

UKBA are sticklers for documentary checks, a check sheet, signed and dated, when loading, when parked, & when doing morning checks. If the trailer is sealed and recorded, the cord is fitted and the trailer is not damaged is the only thing they will accept

In 2002 six Afghan young men were found in my tilt trailer at the French end of the tunnel by the UK Immigration people, using a sniffer.
They were hiding amongst groupage from Turin and had been let in overnight at motorway services in Belgium.
The TIR cord had been cut, right under the air lines and pinned and superglued back together.
Even after they had found the cut, it took two immigration officers to tug at it hard enough to make the cut come apart.
I had been warned and given strict instructions about sealing the trailer, doing the checks and recording everything.
Luckily, I had listened and I had the right answers to all the questions and the documents to back them up.
I had one of my daughters with me, she was 12 at the time, she thought we were to be thrown in prison :slight_smile:

Because I had done all that could be done, no further action was taken but the interviewing officer told me that I was in a minority of one for him at the time and that the alternative would have been £12000 worth of fines.
Lucky day for me and my employer but sometimes you have to make your own luck.
I have never been to Calais since and have no intention of doing so.

In 2008, I started going to Spain to collect produce with a fridge.
Having had the close shave at Calais, I always locked and sealed the back doors and filled in the check sheets on the way back.
I always used Caen, Cherbourg, St Malo or direct from Santander to Poole.
I was never stopped and searched in 29 return trips at either Poole or Portsmouth, while many around me were, including other fridges.
(Yes, I know I am not the most experienced and I don’t go at all now, can’t compete with the Spanish doing the run for less than cost)
I believe it was because the trailer was checked and sometimes searched before I left France or Spain, found to be locked and sealed,then resealed if searched, so the UK Customs and Immigration knew it was OK. They knew what was on the boat before it sailed.
I saw it as a game, if I played by their rules it made my life much easier.

Regards,
Nick.

jimb0j40:

I know a place where these illegals would be most welcome …, Norway !
I wonder if polar bears like chinese takeaways ■■

One hour from calais, bottom line is he should of physicaly checked it before he set of again, no ifs, no buts, no excuses…
if he is an employed driver he can dump it in dover and hitch it home, whereas his boss will be left with a release penalty due to driver stupidity…

harsh but true!

Lrm

LRM:
One hour from calais, bottom line is he should of physicaly checked it before he set of again, no ifs, no buts, no excuses…
if he is an employed driver he can dump it in dover and hitch it home, whereas his boss will be left with a release penalty due to driver stupidity…

harsh but true!

Lrm

True, but the boss deserves to learn the expensive lesson too, sending a trailer like that over the water, even tankers get targeted by the people smugglers.

He did physically check it as said before and there was no indication of tampering with the trailer or curtains, just the fuel tank.

jimb0j40:
He did physically check it as said before and there was no indication of tampering with the trailer or curtains, just the fuel tank.

But a security cord is part of those checks, if it isn’t fitted or missing then the physical & visual check must be more thorough. It is a lesson learned, albeit an expensive one :frowning:

I check every step of the way at Calais. Before I enter the port. Before I get to check in, before I go into the shed. CHECK CHECK AND CHECK AGAIN. :wink:

jimb0j40:

blimy mate
or do i cal yoy jimbo
whos your hubby

This is a suitable checklist which I modified, it has saved my skin in the past.

If you cant print it, send me a PM with your personal email and I may be able to send it as a PDF

i had a great time at the security check at dunkirque then calais ( couldnt get my truck on at dunkirque)

“Drive can you open your doors please”

“aye”

opens truck to nothing inside it

“cheers drive”

all of 2 mins there lol

The bottom line is we wouldn’t have to do any of this if it wasn’t for the fact that our Government will throw money and other benefits at them if they manage to get here. Somebody from Africa or Asia can get as much in a month here as he would in a year at home. If the Government removed this incentive then they would have no reason to try and get here.

Harry Monk:
The bottom line is we wouldn’t have to do any of this if it wasn’t for the fact that our Government will throw money and other benefits at them if they manage to get here. Somebody from Africa or Asia can get as much in a month here as he would in a year at home. If the Government removed this incentive then they would have no reason to try and get here.

A feel a post about ethnic African integrationalists coming on. :cry:

Harry Monk:

You Are right mate .stiffer penalties 12 months hard labour automatic no courts . no dole . no houses. simple no hand outs at all . and the door handles on all trailers electrified . and a foul smelling substance released in the trailer when the driver sets off . :open_mouth: on a serious not though its not fair on some one who works hard all week then ends up with a fine because the do gooders feel that we have to keep them once they are here … … :smiling_imp: …as has been proved you can do all the checks you want but if they are determined they still get in … :unamused: