Igloo accounting aka newwave aka think

has anyone ever used these I am having problems wont answer my calls or questions and are holding my money for hmrc ot happy they are based in Lincoln.
Looks like I will have to take the legal route to recover my money

Search the archives. There’s a lengthy thread on the topic.

They finished trading yesterday apparently

halewood:
They finished trading yesterday apparently

Really??

Any link?

I don’t know anything about New Wave Accounting, but I’ve just tried to get onto their website and get diverted to Igloo Accounting every time, they share the same address and phone number which is the same address as Think Accounting had.

tachograph:
I don’t know anything about New Wave Accounting, but I’ve just tried to get onto their website and get diverted to Igloo Accounting every time, they share the same address and phone number which is the same address as Think Accounting had.

I think I heard they had to ‘rename’ because a company in Canada decided the name was theirs or some such ‘story’

omg that was fast as quick as i gave them a bad review on google there web address becomes igloo accounting so i would also now avoid them at all costs

i initially setup with these but never used them for payroll or any activity apart from registering my ltd company after reading the comments on here, i requested to part company with them and got a invoice for over 400 quid (fees for this and that which was not completed by them) I still to date haven’t paid it as disputing the invoicing. very dodgy outfit and very rude when you tell them you don’t want to use them,

i now use xero.com for accounting and payroll with hmrc rti might be doing it wrong but it works for me and its a lot easier as I’m in control.

seen a lot of posts about these people on here and facebook pages, some real horror stories about drivers getting huge bills from hmrc after using their services.
If I was self employed or set up as a ltd company I wouldn’t trust them with a piggy bank let alone my tax affairs!!!

Nowt wrong with Think/New Wave/Igloo IMO. A finer, more upstanding accountancy firm you would struggle to find. :wink:

image.jpeg

They can call their company what they like. I wouldnt trust the bar stools as far as I could throw them.

I’m so glad I got out of all this a long time ago. Unless you own the truck it should be PAYE IMO.

I may go back to agency work in a year or so once I’m sorted but I’ll definitely be using PAYE.

Good luck not getting turned over by Her Madge’s henchmen :smiley:

the maoster:
Nowt wrong with Think/New Wave/Igloo IMO. A finer, more upstanding accountancy firm you would struggle to find. :wink:

£15k. Ouch :blush:

All these self employed Ltd drivers who are going to be found out to be MSCs…

Hope the driver wasn’t claiming tax credits or any other income based benefit such as housing benefit based on their meagre salary topped up massively with expenses or they may end up repaying that as well.

£15k for one driver, they’re definitely going to go after more.

Conor’s dusted off his record collection again I see.

Conor:

Hope the driver wasn’t claiming tax credits or any other income based benefit such as housing benefit based on their meagre salary topped up massively with expenses or they may end up repaying that as well.

what does MCS stand for?

wildfire:

Conor:

what does MCS stand for?

Managed Service Company. Largely born from the IR35 legislation in 1999 which came into force in 2000, this form of corporate structure places workers and contractors typically into a group of between five and eight people as shareholders in a limited company owned and run by the service provider. Sometimes the workers will be appointed as directors but always shareholders. As shareholders they can then receive minimum salary payments and the balance of income as dividends. Usually the service provider would perform administrative and company secretary duties and offer basic taxation advice.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Managed_service_company

Umbrella set-ups fall under this category.

Is it just the LTD companies that used think that are being handed bills by HMRC? I used them last year for about 4 months but not as a LTD driver, the person I spoke to was kind enough to advise me against going limited if I didn’t intend to do it for more than 6 months because she said I could get stung by HMRC for fees, not sure what she was actually on about with that one, so didn’t bother.

Carl Usher:

wildfire:

Conor:

what does MCS stand for?

Managed Service Company. Largely born from the IR35 legislation in 1999 which came into force in 2000, this form of corporate structure places workers and contractors typically into a group of between five and eight people as shareholders in a limited company owned and run by the service provider. Sometimes the workers will be appointed as directors but always shareholders. As shareholders they can then receive minimum salary payments and the balance of income as dividends. Usually the service provider would perform administrative and company secretary duties and offer basic taxation advice.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Managed_service_company

Are you sure umbrella is the same? When I used think last year I was on PAYE paying the correct tax and NI, all that was claimed off the tax man was travel expenses and meal allowance, which any temporary staff member can claim via HMRC on PAYE, IMHO that is the only bit of Think’s operation that was being run properly were a driver is concerned.

weeto:

Carl Usher:

Are you sure umbrella is the same? When I used think last year I was on PAYE paying the correct tax and NI, all that was claimed off the tax man was travel expenses and meal allowance, which any temporary staff member can claim via HMRC on PAYE, IMHO that is the only bit of Think’s operation that was being run properly were a driver is concerned.

Depends on how the umbrella works. In your case it should be OK as the umbrella would be effectively a sub-contractor with more than one driver on its books. The problem comes when its a 1:1 relationship with the agency and who is telling who to do what.

Example: Last year I worked for a guy who drove and worked for an agency as a Ltd Co driver. Agency would phone him to tell him they needed someone to drive for X company that night and he’d either do it himself or send one of the drivers he employed, the agency didn’t dictate who he got to do the work, often they’d contact me directly and he’d just invoice them for the hours I did. He also had a few clients he dealt with directly. Under HMRC MSC rules he and the agency are in the clear as the agency aren’t telling him who he can send etc and he has more than one client.

Compare that to a one man band Ltd company where the guy is working no different at that agency than agency drivers on PAYE are. Under HMRC MSC rules he’s in the crap and so are the agency.