If you were to move to the South West as a driver

Where would you aim to be, for access to fairly decent opportunities as far as work goes?

Morning all,

You’ll pardon me if this is a ridiculously obvious question for those of you in the know, but i’d like your advice.

I’m considering moving to the South West. Somerset/Devon sort of thing. I’m currently in Oxfordshire, but more and more I feel this isn’t where I want to be, and there isn’t much for me here (will never be able to afford a house here for example). I would like to be closer to the sea, in short.

There is the consideration of work, unfortunately. I know the economy gets more and more ‘relaxed’ the further down there you go, so just after some opinions please of decent opportunities for drivers along the M5 corridor and beyond.

So any info you can offer about life as a HGV driver in the South West, greatly appreciated. Also, if you think it’s a terrible idea, you can say that too :laughing: I will be lodging initially, and everything I own fits in the car in one trip (excluding the surfboard) so i’m pretty nomadic, and can always come running back with my tail between my legs if it doesn’t work. But if I have an idea where to aim for, it would no doubt help.

Thanks in advance…

I live in Torquay, jobs here are very hard to come by. Exeter seems to be all Agency work. Then again, I only look for van work these days,but looking at Class 1 stuff on the Gov website doesn’t look too promising either.

I hear that Avonmouth is “trucking boom city” at present, so anywhere within a short drive of there… :slight_smile:

I reckon simply from a living point of view Bristol. Its a fantastic city and a great place to live. I’ve lived there myself and most of my friends still do so I love going there for a visit.

if you were to move expect to be unemployed

As much as I hate to say this, Bridgewater. Close to Langdons, Stobarts, Morrisons and Avonmouth

I live in Bristol and there is a load of work going on here especially Avonmouth where I’m based and like Luke said its a great city and easy to get to with the motorway near by. Maybe somewhere like Burnham or Weston Super Mare could be good for you as its near to Bridgwater too.

Wild goose pm me & I may be able to help.

Keedwell and sparks are looking for drivers at the minute or so I’m told. Also big portakabin place being built in highbridge at the minute looking for hiab drivers.

Without a doubt Avonmouth, if you can’t get a start there you won’t get one anywhere, go any further south than Bridgewater and don’t expect more than £8.00 an hour, if you can find a job.

Taunton is a good location, just off the top of my head you have within 20 miles,

reylon
gregorys
Spar
Bako
Stan Robinson
MRCT
Pallex
Peter Green
Wisemans
Argos
Langdons
Morrisons

I’m sure there is more. 8 pound per hour plus is easily achieved with most of these companies.

Bit crap in Cornwall at mo unless you have local contacts.

Thanks for the input guys, gives me something to start with. :slight_smile:

I moved from London to Bristol, best ■■■■ move I ever made. Loads of work round this way :smiley: :smiley: