If we had a big union (train drivers or firemen)

The biggest problem with our job, is that it’s been dumbed down to a “one size fits all” level. 15 hours for a local, multi drop, handballing stock, job is to much, and Bidfest and such, should be limited to a max of say 10 hours duty a day. But a long distance, driving only, job with regular breaks, can easily do 15 hours duty a day. And dont get me started on being allowed to drive 9 hours solid, with a 30 minute break in between.

Oh, and as Rob and Juddian et al keep (rightly) pointing out, those in a union, paying their dues, create good t&c for non union members to abuse.
Make the job unionized. Like the Teamsters. Not a union member? No job. Union says all out? All out…

I’m a union member, not all the drivers where I work are though. That’s fine, personal choice and all that, but it ■■■■■■ me off that I pay my dues etc, they don’t yet they quite happily trouser our yearly negotiated payrise. I’d be quite happy if the union told them to go negotiate their own payrise. Good luck with that.

If memory serves me correctly truck drivers at Ford Dagenham left T&G (Unite) and joined URTU after Ford was prosecuted for discrimination, after T&G in factory complained about the closed shop for truck drivers, basically the only way to get on to Fords as a truck driver was to have a family member recommend you, meaning even Ford workers couldn’t get on the trucks never mind anyone from the outside.

In my working days I have worked for unionised companies.All very good when it comes to getting good T&C`s etc etc but more often than not it all falls apart as soon as a Driver goes out the gate.When it becomes every man for his self,and run how he/ she wants to. For example we had a ruling 12 hours was the max then it was a night out if not home,No starts before 05.00 only if there was an unavoidable delivery point due to location,as usual the brown nosers broke the rules,usually encouraged by the office,instead of saying NO
Drivers in my 54 years on the road where their own worst enemy and most likely still are.