If Only

When I was delivering to Notting Hill yesterday I noticed something on the Bus stop, this is a good idea but by the looks of things no body pays any notice to it.

A huge poster with an artic and along the whole length of it (left side) were cuclists. The caption was ‘all these cyclists are in the drivers blind spot’. If only those cyclists and bike users took notice.
Comning back from Clapham the day before i felt like I was in the Wild West, sourounded by Injuns. That’s what it felt like when all the two wheeled brigade decided to go home in one swoop.

Took a picture of the poster but it’s not that good.

sorry, I think your camera must be in a blind spot :open_mouth:

I think the pic quality is great - I have been to specsavers though!

Crap Driver.jpg

Good Driver.jpg

All those cyclists should’nt be in his blind spot in the first place, you don’t undertake a lorry when its turning left :unamused:

bubsy06:
All those cyclists should’nt be in his blind spot in the first place, you don’t undertake a lorry when its turning left :unamused:

In real life yes but show me a cyclist that actually has common sense and wouldn’t undercut a lorry. Tachograph, in honesty there is NO way that you can anticipate everything and see everything. Amazing that when you post something here that can be of use the majority of posts seem to take the ■■■■.

Paul-H:
Tachograph, in honesty there is NO way that you can anticipate everything and see everything. Amazing that when you post something here that can be of use the majority of posts seem to take the ■■■■.

I’m not taking the ■■■■, the fact is that blind spot or not if the driver of a vehicle in that situation was not aware of those cyclists presence he shouldn’t be driving large vehicles.

Whilst I’m in favour of educational advertising and road safety advertising I just find that picture unrealistic to the point of being pointless, if it showed one or two cyclists it may be realistic but that many cyclists would be hard not to see.

Sorry but that’s my view of that particular advert :wink:

tachograph:
Whilst I’m in favour of educational advertising and road safety advertising I just find that picture unrealistic to the point of being pointless, if it showed one or two cyclists it may be realistic but that many cyclists would be hard not to see.

I’ll agree on this, one or two would be difficult to see, there has to be some point that they are trying to make. This is one good reason that i’m not that keen on driving through London, i’d rather drive through Iraq at least there i have a chance of defending myself. Not so sure if shooting a few cyclists would go down well in this country, something else the ‘do gooders’ would blame us for.

Paul-H:
Not so sure if shooting a few cyclists would go down well in this country, something else the ‘do gooders’ would blame us for.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I’d say any amount of cyclists are hard to see if you drive a bloody DullAsFrick, with those stupid poxy side windows in the rain where the mirror is hiding behind the smaller of the 2 or is this just a problem on CF’s :slight_smile:

Without sounding too contrary it seems to me that once again the truck driver is being havin a go at, how many signs do you see on trailers about left hand turns and cyclists when im on my bike i dont go anywhere near the inside but thats personal survival if the truck hits me its no good being in the right when you in a hospital bed or worse the morgue !!!

Jx

LONDON CYCLE INITIATIVES - WITH COMMENTS !!

Paul-H:
I’ll agree on this, one or two would be difficult to see, there has to be some point that they are trying to make. .

There is and obviously a majority of folk have missed it, just for those who dont appear to have had an eye test recently, the tractor unit cab is positioned to turn left, therefore all that the driver can see out of his mirror is the tautliner curtain.

Had the cab been straight then “SOME” of the cyclists would of been visible

Simple Eh ■■? :sunglasses:

Davey Driver:

Paul-H:
I’ll agree on this, one or two would be difficult to see, there has to be some point that they are trying to make. .

There is and obviously a majority of folk have missed it, just for those who dont appear to have had an eye test recently, the tractor unit cab is positioned to turn left, therefore all that the driver can see out of his mirror is the tautliner curtain.

Had the cab been straight then “SOME” of the cyclists would of been visible

Simple Eh ■■? :sunglasses:

Hadn’t missed that fact at-all :wink:

As I said if a driver in that position was not aware of the cyclists presence he should not be driving large vehicles on public roads.
It’s a made up picture we’re talking about but in that situation the driver should be aware of so many cyclists on his nearside.
At that angle the wide angle mirror would almost certainly show some of the cyclists and the ones at the front would be visible from the drivers seat.

The idea behind the poster is a good one but I still believe that particular image is unrealistic.

Hiya …i know what your all saying the driver shoud have seen the cyclists. in that shot the mirror is pointing towards the curtain. i did multi drop in london for ten years with a artic, i,ve tried to put the trailer wheels in the curb and keep the unit wheels wide for turning left. the stupid cyclists pick up their bike paddle up the pavement and get at the side of your unit . i,ve had them hanging on the curtain fastens while waiting at lights. one time in Romford i got a motorcyclist trapped with a trailer tyre and his front wheel against the kerb. that was handy so i could get out and give him a few words about riding motorbikes(I,ve got 8 )
He did listen and i was pleased to let him know where trailers routed round a roundabout.
They never seem to want to learn. I,am out of it nowadays so i,ll let them get on with it.
Summer,s comeing and i,ve had one bike going today Brilliant.
John

No matter how many times you look in your mirror, we can’t be resposible for muppets like this?
youtube.com/watch?v=12fMTAQyXTI

Dave55:
No matter how many times you look in your mirror, we can’t be resposible for muppets like this?
youtube.com/watch?v=12fMTAQyXTI

What a jerk that cyclist was, even when he couldn’t get through he just waits for the lorry to crush his front wheel :unamused:

Nice to see some comments in support of the lorry driver for a change though :smiley:

Darwinian selection in action. Amazing. How can a fellow cyclist be this much of a cretin? I thought we were supposed to be (relatively) intelligent?

There certainly are some crazy cyclists out there. I doubt any of us would slag you off, I and many others recognise just how good most HGV drivers are, far better on average than car drivers. I’m very grateful, I see just how good you guys are on a daily basis. I’ve written a fair few thank you letters to companies for particularly excellent driving I’ve seen.