if no deal

muckles:

jamdoms:

muckles:
I don’t know about a Right Wing Junta, the present Tory party leadership would really like to follow the same Neo-liberal globalist economic system that successive UK, US and European governments (including New Labour) have followed for the last few decades, which has seen the gap between the richest and poorest widen, wage stagnation, poorest countries get poorer as more of their wealth and resources fall into the hands of global corporations, backed up by policies from unelected organisations like the WTO and IMF and a global financial collapse, leading to years of austerity and mass un-employment in countries like Greece, Spain and Italy.
I’d like to believe in Corbyn, but I feel he and the present Labour Party are still out of touch with the ordinary working people of this country.

So of not Jeremy who then? There is no other party offering an end to the current madness we find our country in.
The Archbishop of Caterbury suggests our system of work and reward is broken, Theresa Mays reply to this is “work harder”
Where have I seen something similar to this reply, could it be “Arbeit macht frei”.
Right Wing Junta indeed…

Why does Corbyn have to have the solution just becuase the others are a shower of [zb]?
The problems are a global problem, not a national one, even if a Corbyn lead Labour Party were to win an election, the global institutions would make sure any radical plans were rendered ineffectual, in fact he way I understand present EU competition rules he’d find it very difficult to re-nationalise many public services.
I think we’re now at the stage where conventional politics will not change the fundamental problems in the World today, it will take something far more radical than anything Corbyn proposes

I’m not wedded to the Labour Party however it is bleedingly obvious that what this country needs is current Labour policy, and a reversal of the current political direction seen under successive governments since 1979. Even if that is just for one term, it would help establish within politics that there is another way other than market based so.utions to everything.

When your faced with the choice of the current right wing junta or the politics of Jeremy Corbyn I instinctively know who isn’t out to shaft the working man regardless if we stay in the eu/eec or not.
Check out shady Theresa today performing to her American audience , total sell out!
[/quote]
I don’t know about a Right Wing Junta, the present Tory party leadership would really like to follow the same Neo-liberal globalist economic system that successive UK, US and European governments (including New Labour) have followed for the last few decades, which has seen the gap between the richest and poorest widen, wage stagnation, poorest countries get poorer as more of their wealth and resources fall into the hands of global corporations, backed up by policies from unelected organisations like the WTO and IMF and a global financial collapse, leading to years of austerity and mass un-employment in countries like Greece, Spain and Italy.
I’d like to believe in Corbyn, but I feel he and the present Labour Party are still out of touch with the ordinary working people of this country.
[/quote]
So of not Jeremy who then? There is no other party offering an end to the current madness we find our country in.
The Archbishop of Caterbury suggests our system of work and reward is broken, Theresa Mays reply to this is “work harder”
Where have I seen something similar to this reply, could it be “Arbeit macht frei”.
Right Wing Junta indeed…
[/quote]
I’m not wedded to the Labour Party however it is bleedingly obvious that what this country needs is current Labour policy, and a reversal of the current political direction seen under successive governments since 1979. Even if that is just for one term, it would help establish within politics that there is another way other than market based solutions to everything

What are the main things the Far Left hate about the Far right? - "Not being educated enough to post stuff against the Right that doesn’t have death threats, any postitive policies, or even stuff that makes sense in it.

What does the Right hate about the Left though? - Always being in your face, like we used to dislike “chuggers” for, “Door-to-door salesmen” for, and the heathen for.

It should be “You can’t make an argument without missing a few commas, getting a few sums wrong, and believing the wrong people.”

Instead it is "Missing a few screws, deliberately missing out entire paradigams of equations, and believing any old ■■■■■■■■ that happens to be argued by a 70’s trained academic with patches on their elbows.

Remember - you can’t have patches - without gweenhouth gathes!

tyneside:
I suppose like a lot of other people I am confused about the car manufacture / Brexit scenario. I may be shot down in flames here as there seems to be more intelligent people than me making comments :-

German cars - I have a one year old C class Mercedes built in South Africa (about 95 % of the C class production for Europe and the UK comes from SA)

Honda are about to introduce a 4 door Civic into the UK built in Turkey.

As we know neither of the above countries are in the UK and these are just two examples but if these cars can be built outside the EU and then imported in will it not be the same for UK built cars after Brexit.

I live about two miles from the Nissan factory at Washington ( in fact did some of the muckshift when the ground works started in the early eighties) and believe if Nissan wanted to have a factory in the heart of Europe they would have built it on mainland Europe not the UK. Every car they have built for the LHD EU market has had to be ferried across the North Sea at extra cost and that has been the same for 30 years.
If they have been happy to do that all this time I don’t think they will be too concerned with Brexit.

Tyneside

They are very concerned about Brexit.

theguardian.com/business/20 … ard-brexit

Bugger the Guardian. They can’t even call Corbyn their friend right now. :unamused:

So, are you saying that the Guardian made up a statement from the boss of Nissan about the impact of Brexit?

Bear in mind Nissan’s original reasons for coming to the UK were

1. We spoke English

2. We were in the European Union.

Now, thanks to the UK’s huge success as a member of the EU, the rest of the EU speaks English too.

So, why should they stay?

GasGas:
So, are you saying that the Guardian made up a statement from the boss of Nissan about the impact of Brexit?

1. We spoke English

Now, thanks to the UK’s huge success as a member of the EU, the rest of the EU speaks English too.

That must another piece of EU legislation that the French are ignoring :smiley:

On yes, the Single European Language became English in just one generation…how they hate us for it!

GasGas:

So why does almost everybody I come into contact with during my work speak English, that includes Japanese, Chinese, Russians, Arabs and South Americans and of course those from our former colonies?

Is that down to the EU or is it because English is the International language of business, which probably has more to do with the US than the EU.

What we (or actually successive UK Governments) have given the EU is the desire to follow a free market neo-liberal economic system, which has been sold to us as cheaper goods and more choice because of competition, but seems to mean Multi-national companies can simply move to take advantage of cheap labour or if they can’t they can import cheap labour to keep domestic wages down, Financial institutions are left unchecked so in their greed for short term profits they can take risks that crash the Worlds economy and not to mention the prospect of TTIP is the process hadn’t been stalled by recent events.

telegraph.co.uk/finance/283 … -euro.html

Mr Gohsn was issuing the same threats when we refused to join the Euro.

Anyway the European language was going to be Esperanto. Devised in the 50s/60s we were all supposed to be conversing in that language by now.

Tyneside

The UK’s failure to join the Euro did considerable damage to the motor industry here.

BMW gave up on Longbridge and Land Rover, which was a shame as the Rover 75 was actually a good car if you liked that kind of thing:

independent.co.uk/news/busi … 82930.html

Nissan soldiered on, of course, but that doesn’t mean they will be so tolerant of the UK’s failure to think things through this time.

GasGas:
The UK’s failure to join the Euro did considerable damage to the motor industry here.

BMW gave up on Longbridge and Land Rover, which was a shame as the Rover 75 was actually a good car if you liked that kind of thing:

Nissan soldiered on, of course, but that doesn’t mean they will be so tolerant of the UK’s failure to think things through this time.

But the fact that we were out of it in banking collapse of 2008 meant that we could resolve the fiscal problems and get the system up and running again much quicker. People talk about austerity in the UK but it is nothing to what Greece, Spain, Portugal and Ireland went through. In Ireland public workers didn’t just have a wage freeze their pay packets were cut, an extra tax was added to our pay packets so in effect there were wage cuts across the board not just stagnation of wages and the country (Germany) that lent a lot of the money knowing that the countries would never be able to pay then called the shots and forced banks in those countries to go bust yet made the governments repay the money.

GasGas:

Or BMW used the Euro as an excuse to get rid of Rover?

Yep pluckly Nissan soldering on.

GasGas:

1. We spoke English

Nope, of the above two reasons - We still speak English, although I could be funny and argue that the EU will need to be paying the UK a royalty if they wish to continue making English the Euro Parliament language post-brexit :stuck_out_tongue:
As to our Nippon chums - they get to speak English free of charge, providing their bows are set to the correct level of “respect”. :wink:

…Then there’s the news today, where Unilever have decided to stay in Britain after all…

Brexit forces “change” to the business community on the most part, it’s true.
That “change” doesn’t have to be “for the worse” though.
If grabbed by the balls and made a company’s own - then Brexit could very well usher unparalelled success for even the most stingey and pessimistic of firms. :sunglasses:

Mazzer2:

GasGas:

But the fact that we were out of it in banking collapse of 2008 meant that we could resolve the fiscal problems and get the system up and running again much quicker. People talk about austerity in the UK but it is nothing to what Greece, Spain, Portugal and Ireland went through. In Ireland public workers didn’t just have a wage freeze their pay packets were cut, an extra tax was added to our pay packets so in effect there were wage cuts across the board not just stagnation of wages and the country (Germany) that lent a lot of the money knowing that the countries would never be able to pay then called the shots and forced banks in those countries to go bust yet made the governments repay the money.

If the Banking collapse had not happened, we might still have Gordon Brown as Prime Minister, avoided Cameron trashing Syria and Libya on his watch, and would not be inundated with “refugees” now. Tax credits would probably have also been expanded to such an extent, that Corporation Taxes rather than Income Taxes would have to be raised - in order to pay for them.
Perhaps the rate of Corporation Tax would be based on the number of Sub £10ph employess a firm has, rather than it’s overalll operating profit as well?
We wouldn’t have had a referendum of course - but we wouldn’t have needed one, nor even asked for one.

People of all political persuasions should be asking the question “How was your life during Blair’s first term, before 9/11 took the wheels off everything”?

I didn’t vote for Blair for example (voted for Paddy Ashdown’s Libdems, candidate didn’t win the seat) but the years 1997-2001 for me - were the best years of my life! :open_mouth: :blush:

Winseer:

Mazzer2:

GasGas:

If the Banking collapse had not happened, we might still have Gordon Brown as Prime Minister, avoided Cameron trashing Syria and Libya on his watch, and would not be inundated with “refugees” now. Tax credits would probably have also been expanded to such an extent, that Corporation Taxes rather than Income Taxes would have to be raised - in order to pay for them.
Perhaps the rate of Corporation Tax would be based on the number of Sub £10ph employess a firm has, rather than it’s overalll operating profit as well?
We wouldn’t have had a referendum of course - but we wouldn’t have needed one, nor even asked for one.

People of all political persuasions should be asking the question “How was your life during Blair’s first term, before 9/11 took the wheels off everything”?

I didn’t vote for Blair for example (voted for Paddy Ashdown’s Libdems, candidate didn’t win the seat) but the years 1997-2001 for me - were the best years of my life! :open_mouth: :blush:

To be honest banking crash or not I think Brown would have gone a the next election he only became PM because he acted like a petulant child under Blair and most people could see that. Blair should have grown some and sacked him after the second election victory.

So major shareholders have persuaded the Unilever board to keep the company in the UK after Brexit because they didn’t want to see the company delisted from the FTSE list.

Hooray…everything is going to be alright!

Well, maybe not so bad.

We hope.

I wonder if any large multinational currently headquartered outside the UK is considering moving here to enjoy the Brexit Bounty?

A unicorn horn processor, perhaps?

Meanwhile, even the Brexit enthusiasts warn no deal may cause a financial meltdown

descrier.co.uk/politics/jacob-r … of-brexit/

Mazzer2:

Winseer:

Mazzer2:

GasGas:

To be honest banking crash or not I think Brown would have gone a the next election he only became PM because he acted like a petulant child under Blair and most people could see that. Blair should have grown some and sacked him after the second election victory.

I’m inclined to disagree about Brown. I think he made a much better Chancellor than PM, and “Labour losing it” happened when he stood down from being chancellor to be PM. :bulb:

Mazzer2:

If Blair had sacked Brown after the second election we probably would have ended up in the Eurozone, just before the financial crash.

muckles:

Mazzer2:

If Blair had sacked Brown after the second election we probably would have ended up in the Eurozone, just before the financial crash.

The Euro came in during their first term and I think enough had been done to prevent the UK from joining by then keeping us out of the euro was about the only decent thing Brown did, a lot of his policies have since come home to roost and added to the UK’s problems.