If it's running away - jump clear

Another sad story of a driver who tried to stop his runaway truck and died.

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-33045497

A skip lorry driver has died after being run over by his own vehicle as it rolled towards a hospital building.

The man was trying to stop the lorry from crashing when he fell under the wheels at Derriford Hospital in Plymouth, police told BBC News.

Emergency services were called at about 07:15 BST to reports of an incident involving the lorry. No other vehicles were involved.

The driver - believed to be a 57-year-old - was pronounced dead at the scene.
No other vehicles were involved in the incident

The vehicle travelled a short distance before coming to a stop, Devon and Cornwall Police said.

Sgt Rob Kelland said: "At this stage it would appear that a driver was hitching his trailer on about 100 metres further up the hill. While he was doing that it would appear the lorry starting rolling away.

"Witnesses are saying that he tried running after the lorry and tried to save it but unfortunately fell and was run over by his own lorry.

"He was taken into A&E where he was pronounced deceased.

“Subsequently, the family has arrived at the hospital and are being cared for by our family liaison officer.”
‘Deepest sympathies’

The emergency services remain at the scene and the Health and Safety Executive has been informed.

The Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust, which runs the hospital, said it was working with police to support investigations.

Sad news ,
you go to do your day’s work to earn a crust…
RIP driver

RIP drive, I must admit I have been guilty of this in the past its a split second decision.

R.I.P Drive, another sad day in the industry!! :frowning:

Very sad for all concerned, I don’t want to jump to conclusions a mechanical defect could have caused this tragic accident, if he had left the cab without applying the brake a simple audible warning device could have saved his life.

Fitting of them should become a legal requirement.

mike68:
Very sad for all concerned, I don’t want to jump to conclusions a mechanical defect could have caused this tragic accident, if he had left the cab without applying the brake a simple audible warning device could have saved his life.

Fitting of them should become a legal requirement.

Amen to that

Very sad news

Only 30 minutes up the road from me, probably passed that driver many times over the last few years.
Very sad. :frowning:
RIP drive.