If i took a full time grab /tipper driver on £££s

Hi Lads.

If i go ahead with this 6x4 or possibly 8x4 Tipper grab purchase that ive been posting about can you boys be honest with me as to what a driver on the books would be looking for ££s.

All local work in Cambs, 40 to 45 hrs poss saturdays now and again.Must know their Muck /Aggregates and recycling products but its not rocket science! Excellent conditions.

So can you experienced lads tell me ;

1; ££s per week or hr as grab / tipper driver only??

2; ££s per week or hr as part time grab/ tipper say 3 days pw and 2 days on the groundworks gangs.

3; Do you think that no2 above will not even be considered by most drivers??

Have had a look at a few 6x4s,very nearly bought an ex 03 Balfour Beatty tipper grab 6x4 but ,purchase very nearly went through but got a right rollocking of " Our tipperman " who knows all and must be obeyed :laughing: He was right i think though the balfour beatty lorry had 3 dropdown sides on both sides so therefore not good for serious Muck away and as will be doing a lot of Concrete away for our crushing service.

have also noticed especially since the cracking budget that knob end Darling delivered that a great many grab /tipper dealers reduced their prices considerably in a few days saw a 45k lorry go down to 38k and several 18k go to 13k great really or is it have we seen the end of it all yet are things going to go even lower yet?? Certainly doesnt look good out there for now or the future does it!

lads can you help and give us a clue as to what wages the above would require as i really havnt got a clue?

Tricky Dicky

Offer £8.00 per hour and overtime at timeand a half after 35 hours pay overtime for Saturday working.The fore going is a reasonable commercial wage at this time.

Driving a grab lorry is a skill, much damage can be done by some body who is not trained, as for labouring with a road gang, dont insult him, we are supposed to be highly trained drivers, £10 per hour is a good start, overtime , time and a half, saturdays double time sundays, treble time or double and and a day off in lieu for bank holidays, i get £10 for 39 hours for driving a dustcart in london, so as the saying goes, you pay peanuts you get monkeys,

taffytruck:
Driving a grab lorry is a skill, much damage can be done by some body who is not trained, as for labouring with a road gang, dont insult him, we are supposed to be highly trained drivers, £10 per hour is a good start, overtime , time and a half, saturdays double time sundays, treble time or double and and a day off in lieu for bank holidays, i get £10 for 39 hours for driving a dustcart in london, so as the saying goes, you pay peanuts you get monkeys,

£10 hour cambridgeshire■■? you will get a driver for that money, for sure but, that is way over the odds surely for that area. Not kent or London…

A while ago I’d have said you’d be paying £10 per hour for 1st 8 hours and time and a half after that or Saturdays for a good grab driver, now you might get someone for less.

You may not get a driver to do the groundworker bit, but there are plenty of groundworkers who also have HGV licences, you may get one as I’m sure there are plenty of good people out there.

I’d be well happy at £8 - No - even £7.50 ph.

:laughing: I’m not close enough and would need help with any tickets too. Just offer a reasonable rate and dont ■■■■ them about and you’ll have someone for quite some time I would say.

Gisa job :unamused:

I reckon you’d be able to get a decent driver for not as much money as you’d have had to pay a couple of years back as people are wanting the jobs that are around. Fair play to you for taking another driver off the jobless pile, glad to see some people are prospering :smiley:

Clarky:

taffytruck:

£10 hour cambridgeshire■■? you will get a driver for that money, for sure but, that is way over the odds surely for that area. Not kent or London…

Blimey, way over the odds for Cambridgeshire? wish it was!

Some of our Groundworks boys are on 25k to 27+K a year each for 39 hrs( often less) plus holidays + all bank holidays ,and we seem to have loads of them, paid 52 weeks a year through rain,shine or snow, sickness and so far even Gordon Brown!! :imp: Transit lwb supplied for business andto use when you like! All local work often within 5 miles all work done mainly for the householder, not often do we see a building site(good)!

On a similar note i put an advert in the local paper a few weeks ago for a general groundworks labourer ,must drive mini diggers,lay driveways etc ,anyhow got over 150+++ phone calls and at least 30 odd emails for the application,a fair few were from Polish /hungarian :unamused: hmm . Anyhow took on a 63 year old yep 63 been in groundwork all his life but on the dole for months and because he thought he would never work again, hes like a new man brilliant will do and can do anything, pity he doesnt have an HGV licence then! :laughing:

Lads im surprised you dont value yourselfs higher than most of the above posts :blush: You are all very skilled ,trained and often operate and in charge of very sometimes very very expensive lorries!

Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky:

Clarky:

taffytruck:

Blimey, way over the odds for Cambridgeshire? wish it was!

Some of our Groundworks boys are on 25k to 27+K a year each for 39 hrs( often less) plus holidays + all bank holidays ,and we seem to have loads of them, paid 52 weeks a year through rain,shine or snow, sickness and so far even Gordon Brown!! :imp: Transit lwb supplied for business andto use when you like! All local work often within 5 miles all work done mainly for the householder, not often do we see a building site(good)!

On a similar note i put an advert in the local paper a few weeks ago for a general groundworks labourer ,must drive mini diggers,lay driveways etc ,anyhow got over 150+++ phone calls and at least 30 odd emails for the application,a fair few were from Polish /hungarian :unamused: hmm . Anyhow took on a 63 year old yep 63 been in groundwork all his life but on the dole for months and because he thought he would never work again, hes like a new man brilliant will do and can do anything, pity he doesnt have an HGV licence then! :laughing:

Lads im surprised you dont value yourselfs higher than most of the above posts :blush: You are all very skilled ,trained and often operate and in charge of very sometimes very very expensive lorries!

Tricky Dicky

Thank you for your kind words. We do value our abilities it is just most employers don’t. In the current financial situation, especially in the building trade there are lots of drivers around who are fully trained in grab work who have been laid off or made redundant as builders yards have seen a drop in business. I reckon if you offer the job at an above market rate £10+ per hour and clearly state the type of role (including the ground work element) before employing them you would be able to have your pick of good drivers willing to work for you.

Darby Flyer:
I’d be well happy at £8 - No - even £7.50 ph.

HEY ! Don’t you EVER EVER think about driving a grab wagon up my way for that money… Before you have tipped your first load you will find yourself in a front shovel being tipped into a ‘CRUSHER’
STICK TO STOBARTS PAL :laughing: :laughing:

taffytruck:
i get £10 for 39 hours for driving a dustcart in london, so as the saying goes, you pay peanuts you get monkeys,

so you are one off the monkeys then £10 for 39 hours. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

i may be one of the monkeys that get £10 an hour, but i start at 6 am but i am home by 12-30 job and finish,last year with overtime.my gross was £26000,not bad for a monkey, while most of you are doing 10-15 hours a day while am at home every afternoon enjoying the sun when we get it,also no tacho cards to worry about ,shall i go on. all i am saying is lets be the professionels we reckon we are, and get the right money for each individual skill we aquire.

sorry for the spelling mistake professional is spelt like this , with an al and not an el.

Am I -note the capital letter -right in thinking that you are a public employee.?

less than year ago I was offered 7.75 ph for a tipper job from agency acting as a recruitment consultant, but I already had better job, so refused…

Never drove a tipper.

RE£7.75 thats not a bad rate for a man without relevent experience.After you have picked up the basics you would be able to sell your labour for a bit more.The present situation means it comes down to supply and demand.

I know, that’s why I noted that I had no experience. But it’s always some information, maybe it helps.

I totally agree with you, but I am not too keen to drive a tippers - if driving, I prefere rather long distance.

I am not a public employee, i work for veoila, and a right load of donkeys rear ends they are.

I am hoping to return to class 1 work, i had a reply from morrisons in sittingbourne,closer to home, interviews possibly staring in june,rdc opening august.