Idiot's guide to quoting (no specific names)

If you select the reply button underneath a particular post you are replying to that person. In the reply window that appears, if you select the button with a kind of speech bubble then it will quote the full post.

Alternatively, if you select part of the text in a post and press reply under that post, the selected text will appear in a quote in your reply

quoting

Test, thanks. :sunglasses:

Mutli quotes within the same reply to a single post don’t seem as straightforward, I have found today

One can highlight sections

and click the quoyte marks in the small box

We learn together

Section highlighted and speech bubble clicked again

More of the same

and click the quoyte marks in the small box

And a third for luck

Clicking reply will verify the veracity of your statement…

Conclusion - more research is needed (said every scientist ever)

I clicked reply on your post.
Highlighted a section

and clicked on quotes on small box.
Again.

[quote=“zac_a, post:5, topic:237496”]
Conclusion
[/quote] s are rarely conclusive

Expiriment number 2, clicking reply but highlighting from original reply not within this reply

Aye…

Yes…

QED

By George I’ve got it! Now once again, where does it rain?

And where’s that soggy plain?

Test. Post must be at least 20 characters?? Crap for craps sake! :roll_eyes:

Ohhh you cheat! :grinning:

You could sell your “auto quote maker” to any number of politicos.

I can reply to zac_a, quoting him:

and I can also go to one my arch enemy’s (Frangers) posts and select text and right click and quote directly to my post:

When you quote selectively, have you noticed that in the quote you can use this arrow to see the full post?
context

How difficult can it be to have a big clear button.You know that says quote then you can edit out as much of the resulting clear quote which miraculously appears as you want and can apply whatever colour highlights you might choose.Maybe someone could invent such a great idea in the distant future.

If only…

If only…

Full quote> “reply” button on rhs rather than blue “reply” at base then “speech bubble” in grey in reply box.
Selective quotes> highlight section in original post(s) and hit “**”**quote" button.

This is jyst a test.

I dont have a speech bubble.

Im on or have been on several forums and never has one been less intuitive than this one

1 Like

I dont have a speech bubble either. I’m on an Android tablet.

Same here maybe it just doesnt like android phones

Just tried on my android phone, Tap the 3lines above right of the reply box to get the quote options open,
…
I think…

Ed I guess on android the options bar is normally hidden as the reply box is a bit smaller than on desktop.

Smarty pants!

Forum still shouldnt be so awkward!