"Idiots" following say navs

Just thought I’d post in relation the whole sat navs getting truck drivers stuck who blindly follow them.

This morning I had a delivery near Huddersfield. I came off the m62 and as I was passing all the side roads every single one had the big blue sign “unsuitable for HGVs”. I could see on my sat nav my turning was coming up in 1/4 mile so I was assuming my sat nav had found a way round on a more suitable road. Get to my turning and there is an unsuitable for HGV sign. The road was quite wide to begin with and I could see a side road that I could reverse into if needed. I flagged down a passing motorist and asked if the business I was going to was indeed down this road to which they said yes, so I gambled and continued. I found that it indeed it was the only the way in.

So my point to this being, the road was a little bit tight in one place, and you wouldn’t have taken an artic down there, but for rigids it was fine. Sometimes if a delivery is down that road that has a sign at the end you do have to go down following your sat nav past the sign.

Ps I’m not for one moment trying to excuse the drivers who get stuck. I always looked for somewhere I could turn round if needed and I wouldn’t have driven into something I though I couldn’t have got out of it just because my sat nav told me to. The ones who do that are the idiots!

Well done Rowley. You used more common sense than a lot of drivers and dared to question your sat nav. This is the first step on the road to true enlightenment.

One day you will embrace life on the road in its entirety and see the world through the eyes of old hands who don’t need sat navs.

I use one myself but once questioned and dare I say even ignored at times one becomes more trusting in their own ability. I’ve even turned it off once but don’t tell anyone.

Even though sat navs can get things bang on most of the times especially mine as its a top of the range all singing all tribbing jobby, to not question them can lead to muppetry and disaster.

People blaming Sat Nav’s annoy me, nothing wrong with Sat Navs, but they are merely a tool for doing a job, if it’s not used properly then it won’t do the job properly and in some cases can be dangerous.

My sat nav is muted permanently (wish I could do that to the other voices), it is a guide, purely and simply and as such gets ignored when and if I need to.

Rowley, was it Ainsey Top, its a steep narrow lane that is a short cut to the 62, I saw the sign and did a u turn in a residential area, I caused a queue but car drivers could see my precidiment and were patient.
No horn blasting or offers of Gareth Hunts fineset coffee beans.
The locals must be used to it, wish they would put a hgv ban sign in a better place.
An artic would lose traction in rain or ice.