Idiots drive trucks too

Heading up the A9 today and I catch up with a Nynas tanker doing 40 on the single carriage way. No probs,I think,as theres a dual carriage way about 5 miles further on. I get to the dual carriage way and then the tanker driver floors it as I pull out to over take him. His truck was obviously limited to 89kph,the same as mine, as I couldnt gain any ground. After a couple of minutes,I pull in behind him as there was a row of cars waiting to pass us both and I didn`t have enough speed to pass him. The dual carriage way ends and he throws on the brakes back down to 40!

The exact same thing happens at the next stretch of Carriage way and by this point,the old red mist is starting to descend!

I managed to pass him at the 3rd attempt as this was on a hill and he couldn`t keep momentum on the climb.

Now my point is this -

I know 40 is the limit and he is perfectly entitled to do this speed BUT, IMO this is bloody ignorant to hold everybody else that maybe wants to go faster than 40. All this does is cause road rage and encourages drivers to take dangerous chances.If he wants to keep to this speed,at least keep to this speed on the dual carriage way and let faster vehicles pass safely.

Sorry,rant over - just really ■■■■■■ off! :imp: :imp: :imp:

I just don’t get it. If someone is going to bother to do 40 on a single carriageway, then they should be consistent and only do 50 on a dual, not sit on the limiter.

Sometimes I end up snailing along, but at least I’ve the courtesy to let faster lorries past and I’ll knock off the cruise to let them get past quicker too.

why should he speed so everyone can get where their going quicker. if you want to break the law and speed on single carraigeways then go ahead but dont try and get us people that stick to the limits to do it as well, do you moan when nobody shop lifts and it is all within the law at your local shop. no you dont so dont moan when people stay within the law on the roads. if you want it changing that much speak to the government, its thier fault its a 40MPH limit not the drivers!

admittedly on the carraigeway he should have let you past but it isnt his fault he had the same speed as you when it was legal to do it.

get over yourself and sit back and enjoy the scenery. it wont make that much difference to your journey, plus your heart might last a bit longer if you dont get stressed out!

It is not legal to do 89km on a dual carriegeway, if he is sticking to the limit on a single he should do the same on a dual, i do 45 and continue to do it on a dual until what ever is behind has passed.

Some of them Tesco driver’s do the same,stay at 40mph on single then when it goes to duel they go uo to 56mph.It don’t bother me at all as i stick to the limit’s,but some of these driver’s should read the road sign’s on the A9,it clearly state’s that they should use the lay by’s to allow faster vehicle’s to progress.But Tesco’s are a law to themselve’s,and think that life revolves round them.{Every little help’s } May be their driver’s should try it.

Giblsa:
why should he speed so everyone can get where their going quicker. if you want to break the law and speed on single carraigeways then go ahead but dont try and get us people that stick to the limits to do it as well, do you moan when nobody shop lifts and it is all within the law at your local shop. no you dont so dont moan when people stay within the law on the roads. if you want it changing that much speak to the government, its thier fault its a 40MPH limit not the drivers!

admittedly on the carraigeway he should have let you past but it isnt his fault he had the same speed as you when it was legal to do it.

get over yourself and sit back and enjoy the scenery. it wont make that much difference to your journey, plus your heart might last a bit longer if you dont get stressed out!

As Dafman said, If he wants to stick to the speed limit thats his choice,but as he sat at 89 on the dual carriageway he was breaking the law and being a ■■■■ for not letting a faster vehicle past.

I’ve read a similar post to this on TruckNet before.

As somebody very wise, rightly pointed out; it is the law to run at 40 on single-carriageways, and no-one should complain about this, when stuck behind a wagon within the law.

However, those that run at 40, should give those who don’t run at 40 the chance to overtake, safely, when they can (dual-carriageway etc).

It’s kind of live and let live.

That way; everyone’s happy!

Unless the dual carriageway is over a mile long I stay at 40 on it, it takes too long to get a fully laden FL-220 up to 50 :imp:

Snow Associates:
I’ve read a similar post to this on TruckNet before.

As somebody very wise, rightly pointed out; it is the law to run at 40 on single-carriageways, and no-one should complain about this, when stuck behind a wagon within the law.

However, those that run at 40, should give those who don’t run at 40 the chance to overtake, safely, when they can (dual-carriageway etc).

It’s kind of live and let live.

That way; everyone’s happy!

That’s exactly what I do, it’s only common sense :wink:

joemaxi:
Heading up the A9 today and I catch up with a Nynas tanker doing 40 on the single carriage way. No probs,I think,as theres a dual carriage way about 5 miles further on. I get to the dual carriage way and then the tanker driver floors it as I pull out to over take him. His truck was obviously limited to 89kph,the same as mine, as I couldnt gain any ground.

yes i agree, that is totally unacceptable. fair enough those who do 40 but then keep to 50 on a duel, no probs, but those who sit flat out on the dual then slow down to 40 are ■■■■■ of the highest order, no doubt the people who get some kind of kick out of keeping others behind.

had this off a Grocotts motor a few weeks ago, he actually passed me on the A500 (mine does 85k), but then once under the motorway at 16 he was down to 40. Tools of the highest order they really are.

i do all the things said. I stick at 40mph on single carriageways and stay at that speed on dual. I pull in2 lay byes to let faster traffic pass. You are only there 10 seconds and someone usually says thanks as they pass. I even knock the cruise off on motorways to let other trucks pass quicker. Why not. Then no one gets upset and angry. You usually pull up behind them all at the next junction or set of lights anyway!.

joemaxi:
Heading up the A9 today and I catch up with a Nynas tanker doing 40 on the single carriage way. No probs,I think,as theres a dual carriage way about 5 miles further on. I get to the dual carriage way and then the tanker driver floors it as I pull out to over take him. His truck was obviously limited to 89kph,the same as mine, as I couldnt gain any ground. After a couple of minutes,I pull in behind him as there was a row of cars waiting to pass us both and I didn`t have enough speed to pass him. The dual carriage way ends and he throws on the brakes back down to 40!

The exact same thing happens at the next stretch of Carriage way and by this point,the old red mist is starting to descend!

I managed to pass him at the 3rd attempt as this was on a hill and he couldn`t keep momentum on the climb.

Now my point is this -

I know 40 is the limit and he is perfectly entitled to do this speed BUT, IMO this is bloody ignorant to hold everybody else that maybe wants to go faster than 40. All this does is cause road rage and encourages drivers to take dangerous chances.If he wants to keep to this speed,at least keep to this speed on the dual carriage way and let faster vehicles pass safely.

When you passed him, pity you didn’t slow down to a nice steady 30mph for a bit, would have made his day no doubt :laughing:

kitkat:
Some of them Tesco driver’s do the same,stay at 40mph on single then when it goes to duel they go uo to 56mph.It don’t bother me at all as i stick to the limit’s,but some of these driver’s should read the road sign’s on the A9,it clearly state’s that they should use the lay by’s to allow faster vehicle’s to progress.But Tesco’s are a law to themselve’s,and think that life revolves round them.{Every little help’s } May be their driver’s should try it.

Obviously you havent followed one out of Milton Keynes on the A5(D), they stick to 50mph like the proverbial to a blanket.

They dont however do it when they come out of Nursling Ind Est, and then they hold you to the outside lane (inside lane on the M271/M27 r/about) making you brake to stop hitting the side of thier trailers.

Giblsa:

I dont think he wanted the other driver to speed its the fact that the driver knew he was trying to pass but matched him blocking any chance of passing, always get this happen to me really p****s me off, but always let a faster truck or someone who is determined to overtake pass

You should have taken his number and reported him for speeding on a dual, serve the ■■■■ right :smiling_imp:

A couple of the Panic Distribution guys from Rugby have been pushing me up the A361 from Dav to DIRFT before now. All single carriageway and hilly/bendy. I’m in an FL-220 which is slow to say the least, struggle up to 40 and there it is, the Panic truck filling my mirrors. I just let them get on with it, they always streak past as soon as you get to the dual carriageway bits at DIRFT.

joemaxi:

Now my point is this -

That, and people not using indicators are my 2 biggest pet hates :imp: