idea?!?

Hello and Welcome :smiley:
Me and my mate decided to get class 2 sorted. Both driving a busses in this moment, me 3.5year and mate over 5years.
About six months ago we took driving assessment and didn’t go to bad but assessor recommended full course anyway (more money for them I think). Both of us got theory already sorted and we ready for practical. Last night got an idea, would it be possible to rent 7.5t, put L-plates on it, insure it for learning and get some more practice with other mate who is C category holder on his licence then buy one day with instructor to brush it up and do manoeuvres etc. What do you think about it? Bonkers or may work?
Regards
Jocker01

Bonkers :sunglasses:

jocker01:
Bonkers or may work?

The (any) instructor may not be interested in just providing one days training and if you end up needing re-tests it may not save any money anyway.

Totally agree… Bonkers

Very unlikely to work out unless you are super lucky to get it insured and to have a supervising driver who knows exactly what the DSA are looking for on test

The gears are another issue as most 7.5s have straight 6s and at least 8 forward gear ratios are required for test so trying to get used to a ‘weird’ gearbox in a very short time could be another issue

The other thing is that you are already driving large vehicles so the transition from PCV to LGV should not be that difficult

Thank You all for replys.
That was only an idea.
During the the search I have learn that I gonna have to do C1 first before C and CE as I get my car test after 1997. Is that mean I gonna have to take 3 tests all in total :O?

jocker01:
Thank You all for replys.
That was only an idea.
During the the search I have learn that I gonna have to do C1 first before C and CE as I get my car test after 1997. Is that mean I gonna have to take 3 tests all in total :O?

Hi mate,

You do not need to do Cat C1 first.

If you pass a Cat “C” driving test, then entitlement for Cat “C1” is automatic, because “C1” is a smaller vehicle within the same category.

This doesn’t work for Cat C+E though, because that’s a separate category due to the “E.”.

To upgrade your driving licence from normal car to artic will need two driving tests called “Cat C” AND “Cat C+E.”

Dieseldave beat me to it! I was gonna do my 7.5t licence to start with but when I enquired I got told it was a waste of time (unless your an ambulance driver for example), as the Cat C doesn’t cost too much more and automatically gives you the C1. If you do the C1 you’ll only have to take the same test again for the C.

Tarrman:
Dieseldave beat me to it! I was gonna do my 7.5t licence to start with but when I enquired I got told it was a waste of time (unless your an ambulance driver for example), as the Cat C doesn’t cost too much more and automatically gives you the C1. If you do the C1 you’ll only have to take the same test again for the C.

Agreed mate!!

C1 is a complete waste of time and money if a person wishes to drive "C and/or “C+E.” :smiley:

I wanted to do C but went to Gov.uk and when do check what can U drive, advise given from a website:
“You can apply for provisional large vehicle and lorry entitlement (category C) then take a category C test, but only if you’ve already got a full medium-sized vehicle (category C1) licence.”

jocker01:
I wanted to do C but went to Gov.uk and when do check what can U drive, advise given from a website:
“You can apply for provisional large vehicle and lorry entitlement (category C) then take a category C test, but only if you’ve already got a full medium-sized vehicle (category C1) licence.”

Sorry mate, but that’s not correct.

Could you give us a link to where you saw the info please?

Licence Category C1 is NOT a stepping stone to licence Category C.

It’s all explained here, please just scroll when you land:

:bulb: Become a qualified heavy goods vehicle (HGV) or bus driver: Getting qualified - GOV.UK

The gears are another issue as most 7.5s have straight 6s and at least 8 forward gear ratios are required for test

Sorry Rog. No requirement for 8 gears till you get to C and CE. As long as it’s manual, any gearbox will do for a manual licence.

It’s not impossible for the OP to pull this off. But it stands a better chance of going wrong IMO.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:

The gears are another issue as most 7.5s have straight 6s and at least 8 forward gear ratios are required for test

Sorry Rog. No requirement for 8 gears till you get to C and CE. As long as it’s manual, any gearbox will do for a manual licence.

It’s not impossible for the OP to pull this off. But it stands a better chance of going wrong IMO.

From the way I read the OP he wanted to use a C1 as practise for the C which is why I mentioned the gears

C1 used to be a viable option for 18-20 year olds before 2009 when the age for cat C was lowered from 21 to 18.

The only way C1 is a partial stepping stone to cat C is if someone passes the theory tests and initial CPC on route to C1 they will not need to do them again for cat C.

However if someone definately only needs C1 ie ambulance service or perhaps horse box one advantage is that the test can be taken in transit type van at least 4tonne.

ROG:
From the way I read the OP he wanted to use a C1 as practise for the C which is why I mentioned the gears

I understood perfectly what you meant :unamused:

dieseldave:
Sorry mate, but that’s not correct.

Could you give us a link to where you saw the info please?

Licence Category C1 is NOT a stepping stone to licence Category C.

It’s all explained here, please just scroll when you land:

:bulb: Become a qualified heavy goods vehicle (HGV) or bus driver: Getting qualified - GOV.UK

1.What kind of vehicle do you want to drive?

Large vehicles and lorries (category C)

2.How old are you?

21-or-over

3.Do you have a full car driving licence?

Yes

4.When was your licence issued?

From 1 January 1997

You can apply for provisional large vehicle and lorry entitlement (category C) then take a category C test, but only if you’ve already got a full medium-sized vehicle (category C1) licence.

jocker01:
1.What kind of vehicle do you want to drive?

Large vehicles and lorries (category C)

2.How old are you?

21-or-over

3.Do you have a full car driving licence?

Yes

4.When was your licence issued?

From 1 January 1997

You can apply for provisional large vehicle and lorry entitlement (category C) then take a category C test, but only if you’ve already got a full medium-sized vehicle (category C1) licence.

Hi jocker01,

How about a link to where you got this from please??

With the inacuracies in that text, I suspect it’s from a broker’s website. eg the age has been 18 since Sept 2009.

Rog, having it read the OP again, I can see what you mean.

dieseldave:
Hi jocker01,

gov.uk/become-lorry-bus-dri … quirements

jocker01:

dieseldave:
Hi jocker01,

gov.uk/become-lorry-bus-dri … quirements

They have got it wrong big time - I have used the feedback form to tell them