Idea for a new DCPC module

Heard on my last DCPC course and non of which corrected by the instructor:
1.“VOSA don’t have the power to stop you. If they try to stop me I’ll keep going until they call the police”.
2. “You can’t drive an artic unit on a C licence unless the fifth wheel is removed”.
3. “For a road to be classed as a dual carriageway it must have a METAL barrier up the middle, a strip of grass is not enough”.
and from the previous course:
4. “VOSA are now fining drivers £60 per turn of the landing leg handle”.
5 “for the WTD a 30 minute break is required before completing 6 hours work”.
They should start a new module entitled “Stop Talking Boll0ck5, Driver”

YELLOWBELLIES just had to say NO :laughing:

oakeedokee:
Heard on my last DCPC course and non of which corrected by the instructor:
1.“VOSA don’t have the power to stop you. If they try to stop me I’ll keep going until they call the police”.
2. “You can’t drive an artic unit on a C licence unless the fifth wheel is removed”.
3. “For a road to be classed as a dual carriageway it must have a METAL barrier up the middle, a strip of grass is not enough”.
and from the previous course:
4. “VOSA are now fining drivers £60 per turn of the landing leg handle”.
5 “for the WTD a 30 minute break is required before completing 6 hours work”.
They should start a new module entitled “Stop Talking Boll0ck5, Driver”

Were these comments from the ‘trainer’ or the delegates on the course?

I find sometimes it simply isn’t worth correcting anyone as it causes too much grief. I find with some (but not many), no matter what I or anyone else say, they believe the ■■■■■ they spout and nothing will change that.

As an example the landing leg story. I had one tell the class he was fined £15 per turn - a total of £75. I tried to say he must have made a mistake so he went on and on. I showed the VOSA Enforcement Sanctions Policy on the screen where it shows the fine for a ‘loose handle’ is £100 and suggested he would have been fined £100 but nope … it was £15 per turn.

Problem with this kind of thing is it tends to make me look a ■■■■. Half the class listen to the driver rather than me.

At times I judge it just isn’t worth it, smile while they tell their story then carry on.

The other ones are the ones shouting off about how stupid it is a driver can repeat the same course five times. “I’ve done this tacho course twice already, it’s ■■■■■■ stupid being able to do it again” to which I normally ask “So why did you book the same course again? We offer at least 6 different courses, why not choose another?” to which they tend to have no answer apart from “It’s the only day I’m available” … “And is that the DVSA’s fault■■?”

Booked the same course a few times because they were paying and its the cheapest?

Heard the ££££ a turn several times, seems to a myth that some truckers love saying, also heard many times £1000 fine for each ton overweight, I don’t believe this is true. Any other common misconceptions out there? Can u drive a tractor unit on cat c■■?

There is a little bit of truth in number 3, an extra lane isn’t enough, the rest are just junk. It baffles me how some people believe what their mouths say.

Must admit I am with Shep on this. If the conversation is in the class and relevant to the training then a correction is needed. However if it is at tea break or before the start of the course you need to be careful. Not everyone is listening properly, if you repeat what has just been said by a driver and another one hears it, then you are a no nothing idiot and all of a sudden drivers are on here having a go at us.

Sometimes the see no evil hear no evil speak no evil approach is needed. :smiley:

A tractor unit can be driven on a C, c+e only applies to vehicles with some form of trailer attached.

Long distance clara:
Must admit I am with Shep on this. If the conversation is in the class and relevant to the training then a correction is needed. However if it is at tea break or before the start of the course you need to be careful. Not everyone is listening properly, if you repeat what has just been said by a driver and another one hears it, then you are a no nothing idiot and all of a sudden drivers are on here having a go at us.

Sometimes the see no evil hear no evil speak no evil approach is needed. :smiley:

What (if you do really believe in it at all) is needed is a properly implemented rigorous training scheme that in order to achieve the qualification something more, in terms of input, from drivers is required than simply turning up.

If in order to carry on working they needed to learn the material to the point of being able to pass even just a simple test the loudmouths would soon zip it and listen to what was being said.

The more I think about it the more I think the likelihood of it being either quietly dropped or loudly dropped as your government sticking it to Europe is very high.

mick.mh2racing:
There is a little bit of truth in number 3, an extra lane isn’t enough, the rest are just junk. It baffles me how some people believe what their mouths say.

The regs state either a barrier (doesn’t say what it should be made of), or a piece of land. Now you can interpret that how you like but nowhere does it say it has to be made of metal.
I agree that it is seldom worth the effort of arguing the toss with these muppets as they try their best to make you look the fool. Its just a shame that their words will be taken as gospel by many of the other drivers there.