ICE ROAD TRUCKERS a load of old SQUIT

Call me a spoil sport but am I the only one who thinks that these Ice Road Truckers should find equipment sutible for the job, every week brakes freezing causes lots of drama. Why? If you know that your truck is going to work in these ultra low temperatures surely you would buy the right kind of gear. My mate Geof Byford had a truck imported from Canada 20 years ago and that had heated equipment every where. Is the program just for planks or are we expected to believe all of the drama.

They could buy good kit, or they could make a TV show out of it… it’d be a bit dull if it all went well the whole time wouldn’t it?

i dont like it either and agree with you.

although there is a member on here who has been on the ice for the last couple of years so maybe he can tell us more. some of the trucks look up for the job but some of the old bone shakers i wouldn take to bradford.

I think there using a different location now and the other place didn’t like the bad press its probably a dangerous job but i think its been hyped up to much for tv

Del

looks like its turning into
I’m a celebrity trucker- get me out of here :laughing:
They wanna try the M25 at 4pm on a Friday :imp:

I think like all these fly on the wall documenteries, what they want is a bit of drama and personal conflict.
It makes me wonder if the film crew got Drew out there just to add a bit of tension between him and his old boss Hugh.
All these type of pograms end up focusing on a few characters, because they provide the type of entertainment the film makers want.

lets face it, its not as good as deadliest catch, is it! its heavily edited to make it look as if the drivers are in peril when the most dangerous thing is rick yemms driving!

The way its portrayed you would think that only those 4 or 5 drivers shift everything
Whereas in reality there is probably at least 100+ drivers working the Ice roads.

Most of the drivers probably just want to get the work done the same as everywhere else in the world with the minimum of fuss.

But as others have said that doesn’t make good TV

They are also trying ot make it out that this road is more dangerous than the ones from the last series, but the speeds are higher and they don’t seem to run in convoy. Which would suggest that in fact it’s safer.

Do you think Hugh would appreciate the Working Time Directive ? :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :wink:

Well I enjoy it, some of the trailers are a bit ‘iffy’ but then again why would you spend a lot of money on something that could end up at the bottom of a lake or the sea.

Take it for what it is, dramatised TV

It’s still way better than watching a bleeding soap opera or big brother

muckles:
They are also trying ot make it out that this road is more dangerous than the ones from the last series, but the speeds are higher and they don’t seem to run in convoy. Which would suggest that in fact it’s safer.

[/Speeds are higher mainly due to the fact that thers no “portarges” i Spelt that wrong eh.,
its all water, therefore more dangerous,
Yes, as we surely must all know, They edit it to be more viewer friendly :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
Having seen this series already on the history channel, i would be very suprised to see if Rick and Drew could even get a job driving a lawn mower now , prime plonkers
quote]

the ghost:

muckles:

Speeds are higher mainly due to the fact that thers no “portarges” i Spelt that wrong eh.,
its all water, therefore more dangerous,
Yes, as we surely must all know, They edit it to be more viewer friendly :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
Having seen this series already on the history channel, i would be very suprised to see if Rick and Drew could even get a job driving a lawn mower now , prime plonkers

I agree because the have more open streches of water the ics thickness might be more consistant and thicker meaning higher loads and speed, but why aren’t they running convoys like in the first series?

And yes know it’s on for entertainment and therefore edited and dramatised to to suit a mainstream audience. :smiley:

When I was driving army trucks, we had a small bottle of alcohol fitted to feed it slowly into the air compresser.
It held about half a pint and lasted about a month.

We had to release the alcohol and other muck out of the air tanks quite often, but never had frozen brake lines.

I was clearing snow on an airfield one mid 80s winter. It was so cold that when the day shift loaded our gritters hopper for us (with rock salt), by the time we started our shift half an hour later, the grit had frozen solid. We all spent the next three weeks driving around with a 4 tonne brick on the back of the snow plough.
I was told at the time that the temp was -42. I dunno if that was including wind chill, but it was bloomin’ cold that’s for sure.
We had to use the small trailer gritters, stand in the back with shovels and spread the grit by hand. It just froze up and wouldn’t run onto the spinner to be spread by machine.

The grit froze, our brakes didn’t.

i quite enjoyed the first series,although i did find it over-dramatised and a bit repetative.
havent watched the latest series,cos i dont think it will get anymore exciting,or anything different will happen.it will just be the same old,same old…

have watched both series, as you say repetative, also they keep saying about how much they earn, the dash for the cash etc. They never say how much it cost to run the trucks and how much repairs are needed after twelve weeks running on very rough ice roads.
Rick Yemm is just for tv as is Hugh Rowland, larger than life characters encouraged by the producers to talk the show up.

I know one thing. That Drew is a total Muppet. Who turns up in the Arctic Circle with no coat■■? No wonder he was left on the sidelines. I’m sure this programme hasn’t done him any favours, I mean would YOU employ him■■?

As for Rick, he is trying to milk it for all it’s worth.

Check it out…

youtube.com/watch?v=kursTswy … annel_page

All of the above:

I do wonder though, why they don’t have proper trailers for the job. They need more wheels and a wider track. Also you might have thought these guys would get themselves some decent motors and equipment. I heard 70,000 dollars mentioned which is less than £40,000 — not that much when you take out expenses.

It must be mind-numbingly boring to drive over featureless ice at 25 or 50 kph for hours on end.

EnglishTrucker:
I know one thing. That Drew is a total Muppet. Who turns up in the Arctic Circle with no coat■■? No wonder he was left on the sidelines. I’m sure this programme hasn’t done him any favours, I mean would YOU employ him■■?

Check it out…

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Hes got a tacky website selling tacky crap, what a clown. Defo milking for all its worth.

bubsy06:

EnglishTrucker:

Check it out…

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Hes got a tacky website selling tacky crap, what a clown. Defo milking for all its worth.

Oh yes… :laughing: :laughing: