IBC with farm chemicals in ADR?

Hi newbie with a question

I’ve been doing multi drop pallets for a few weeks now and I keep getting IBC’s with farm chemicals with the irritant X symbol on just wondering if Iam supposed to have an ADR ticket for carrying these?

Diesel Dave will assist you, but the farms use caustic soda to clean the pipes in the dairies on farms after milking,hot and cold water,acid wash and final rinse.Like the road tankers do at supplier sites.

Iam just wondering if Iam supposed to have an ADR licence to carry this kind of stuff

Is it udder or cow teats wash or iodine in the Ibc.?

allly_b11:
Hi newbie with a question

I’ve been doing multi drop pallets for a few weeks now and I keep getting IBC’s with farm chemicals with the irritant X symbol on just wondering if Iam supposed to have an ADR ticket for carrying these?

Hi ally_b11,

From the info you’ve supplied, the answer is NO, you don’t need ADR.

Toby is a little off-beam… :wink:

If the only marking on the IBC is an orange square (or squares,) then anybody can carry as much as they need to, and without an ADR licence.
The reason for this is that an orange square simply indicates the goods are hazardous TO USE, but not dangerous for transport.

If the goods in the IBC were regarded as dangerous, then there would need to be the relevant UN Class label, which is commonly called a ‘diamond.’
(If there are dangerous goods in an IBC, there should be a ‘diamond’ label on two opposite sides of it.)

I might be able to give you a more accurate answer if you could say for sure whether there is a ‘diamond’ label on the IBC.
Another way of knowing whether it’s dangerous is if you can tell me the description of the goods in the IBC that’s written on your delivery paperwork.

You need to know what it is - different chemicals have different amounts below which you don’t need ADR. You should however have awareness training if it’s hazardous even if non ADR so you know what to do in the event of a spillage. (To protect yourself and others)…

kvin:
You need to know what it is - different chemicals have different amounts below which you don’t need ADR. You should however have awareness training if it’s hazardous even if non ADR so you know what to do in the event of a spillage. (To protect yourself and others)…

Hi kvin,

What you’ve said is true mate, but only IF the chemical is legally regarded as DANGEROUS.
Dangerous goods have a UN number and need to be carried in correctly marked packages, hence my questions to the OP.

:bulb: Anybody can drive hazardous goods, and without an ADR licence.

“Hazardous” has a completely different meaning to “dangerous,” so we need an answer from the OP before anybody can comment. :smiley:

i didnt think it would be a problem as i didnt think it would be able to go through the pallet network if it was hazardous just was wondering thats all its basically just a little orange square with a black X on most of the time we do quite a few with AD-Blue in aswell was just after advice really thanks very much

allly_b11:
i didnt think it would be a problem as i didnt think it would be able to go through the pallet network if it was hazardous just was wondering thats all its basically just a little orange square with a black X on most of the time we do quite a few with AD-Blue in aswell was just after advice really thanks very much

Hi ally_b11,

Hazardous goods can go through some pallet networks.

Dangerous goods can go through some pallet networks.

If the only labels are orange squares, then the stuff in the IBC doesn’t count as ‘dangerous’ in transport and will not come under ADR Regs, regardless of the quantity carried.

It’s the same with Ad-Blu, cos that’s also not counted as dangerous in transport. :smiley: