Ian treece

this chap is a DSA registered LGV instructor from Nottingham. it was a while ago, I did an assessment drive with him, so I know that there’s no broker involved. he gave me some numbers of people he trained and they spoke very highly of him. I didn’t do a course with him at the time because of financial problems on my part.

he doesn’t seem to have a website, which is unusual but doesn’t mean anything. however I can’t find any information about him on the net beyond the company details. there are no reviews from people who have trained with him. if anyone knows of any reviews I would appreciate a link.

he seems a really honest and up front guy, no bs sort. I got the impression he’s a one man band which would account for not bothering with a website, and has a good pedigree - ex army LGV instructor, been training people 20+ years. nice quality training vehicle etc.

I know Pete is from that neck of the woods, do you have any info?

also is there a way to check with the DSA someone’s credentials?

I’m sure its just paranoia, but with so many rogues about you can’t be too careful!

if I’m honest, the only thing bothering me is the lack of ANY information on the web, for someone to have been in business for so long there should be some trace. but there is nothing bad being said either.

as I have said, I’m sure that it is a perfectly reputable company, but small, which would account for the lack of info.

I take it you are from the Nottingham area.

Why not give Pete Smythe a try and see the differences.

There is no current info on a training provider with that (partial) name however there is a dissolved company with that (partial)name that traded for 8 years 3 months and was wound up in Dec 2009.

Info gleaned from HERE

the reason I ask is that my local the Vic doubles as a truckstop and a lot of us that drink there are drivers. apart from moaning about our jobs, the discussion often turns to training. mine should be covered on the job, but I’ve heard of folk being strung along on empty promises, paranoid maybe, but I still mull the idea of doing it myself from time to time.

Ian treece has an ad on the wall there. as I said I had an assessment drive with him a while ago. since then I seem to have been on a mailing list and receive offers from time to time.

I came home today and dug the most recent one out, which was offering 3 days artic training with test at the end of day 3 for £450. test fee inc.

I can’t remember when the letter got to me, but I do know it was after Xmas.

it is a good price, and shortly I would be in a position to be able to afford it.

I wasn’t really considering paying my way through if I can get it for free, but I’m seriously debating whether to do it out of my own pocket.

it is a lot of money, and a big decision. so I thought I would research what others have said and weigh up the pros and cons. but that’s when I hit problems, there is nothing on the net. good or bad. which I find very odd, and now I am hearing about clg transport which no longer trades.

this may be a very reputable small company who gives good service at a very fair price. I would not want to put anyone off using him because I can’t find reviews of his service.

but the lack of info is concerning me, and I like to be sure of what I am getting into before I part with cash. I have heard a lot of stories about people getting ripped off.

if anyone can help but doesn’t want to post here, feel free to pm.

Oh and btw he’s not listed as a DSA registered LGV instructor can’t seem to find a register of car ADI’s (maybe Rog/Pete could help?)

CLICKY

PSTT is :wink:

Useful post by me

hi all, I’m well aware of Pete’s reputation. I’ve heard nothing but good things about him. it would seem that I know a few folk who trained with him.

back to my op. after a ridiculous amount of phone calls, I have spoken to some people who have trained with him. I am still unable to find anything on the net.

I didn’t want to speak out of turn, because if it was a small business making a genuine offer, I did not want to bad mouth him in any way. this would appear not to be the case.

you will get the training at the quoted price. but the professional attitude you saw at the assessment does not carry over to the training. I was told he is aggressive, abusive and impatient. I was told to expect to be paying out for a few retests, to be expected when the course is almost half the length of other trainers. and I have had an assessment with him!!!

in fact it sounds very much like a con job to me. I’m glad that I checked it out. there must be other people getting these letters, and I hope they check things out before committing to anything.

what’s even worse is that as far as I can tell, the company has ceased trading!!! I assume that there must be some facility to provide the training, but I suspect that something very dishonest is going on here.

ALWAYS RESEARCH!!!

He has a Yell.com listing with a residential address.

But as you say no sign of any other references.

cheers dean :slight_smile: it all looks very sus, at best crap value, at worst illegal con trick :frowning:

Pete has an excellent rep, I’ve chatted with a few of his ex pupils and I read your diary of c+e training with him. I really must get a hobby :slight_smile: and should I finance myself, I had planned on using him. sadly cash is a bit tight, but looking up since the new job came my way. which brings me to another dilemma. as things stand I will be waiting for a year, which means that I will be at least a year longer on the 2 years experience. I’ve heard that pinning them down on dates can be hard, not that they back out but getting company training can take years. one lad had his class 1 paid for but he waited 4 years, then you’re tied for another 2 after that.

having a family and kids and the house makes saving up hard work! this will probably make you sick, but round here they make the long term unemployed go for lgv training and if they don’t they get their money stopped!!! they are forced into it and some of them fail the test deliberately cos they don’t want work! when I think of how hard myself and others have worked to get where we are :frowning: I was on benefits myself for bad health, but as soon as I could work I did. before I went back to work I asked the jobcentre for help with CE and was turned down flat, no funds available. but they are still sending people.

enough of my moaning, how have things gone for you since you passed the artic?

I have had a mixture of work since passing.

And passing on WnD does not phase employers either.

Best of luck with whatever you choose.

Maybe worth having a chat to Pete and see what he can do. A free assessment can’t hurt :wink:

I had an assessment drive with Ian treece a long time ago (around 20 years).
I found him rude, aggressive and impatient.
He didn’t get my hard earned cash.
Peter smythe did. I passed and have never looked back.
Seems like he hasn’t changed.

cheers JB, “rude, arrogant, aggressive” I have heard that or words to that effect an alarming number of times today. I have also heard a lot of praise for pete, here and elsewhere. I had to laugh though when one lad told me he’s “the dogs ■■■■■■■■” I ain’t heard that for years! :slight_smile:

I make a point of always doing a bit of detective work. for instance I was given the name Keith Lambert not so long ago. when I could find no info I assumed the worst. it took a while but I got some reviews from people who have trained with him. they all gave him glowing references. it was ideal for me because he trained people with the option of doing a couple of hours per week. kind of pay as you go lgv, the same system used by car instructors. I am having financial problems, so it was perfect for me.

when I got hold of him, he told me that he sold his lorry and packed in that side of things some years ago, now he only does car tuition. he told me that he still does lgv for companies using their vehicle. this is probably why people recommended him, not realizing that he no longer deals with people outside of company training.

You have a Private Message.

Sorry I don’t know anything about the person who you seek.

Why not go to a professional reputable trainer, who has great trainers , who do an excellent job , great modern vehicles, and are highly successful.
And happen to be in Mansfield Nottingham …and I’m so glad that I travelled half way country ( not once but on two separate occasions for different tests), from where I live to do my training with peter smythes training centre, I’ve never looked back , passed C & C& E with them, and been offered more work than I can cope with since passing my C& E .

You know exactly what you are paying for, they are very approachable & professional, & they sorted out accommodation for me too, and down to all the excellent training I received , I’m out there driving class 1 :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: I struggled to get the monies together , but it made good sense to go to someone of such excellence & a widely recognised trainer, and achieve the best results :smiley: :smiley:

I hope you soon get sorted with a trainer :smiley:

I would recommend either DATA ACADEMY or PETER SMYTHE - dunno which is closer to you

I’m a bit late joining in and my information may not be bang up to date. Ian Treece operated (IIRC) a couple of artics in the mid 80’s. They were unbelievably smart and well turned out and his reputation was pretty good. One was a Scania, the other a Cruiser. I don’t recall exactly what happened but his instructor, John Smithurst, ended up on his own - he still operates from Nottingham. The name of Ian Treece went to CLG (IIRC). I spoke to Ian, maybe 10 or 15 years ago when he informed me he was getting bonnetted Scanias or Volvos for training and was clearly going to show us how it was done! None ever materialised.

If Ian is still trading, it’s news to me. But please bear in mind that although I know a lot, stuff can get past me!

A phone call to DSA at Nottingham will confirm his DSA Registration.

When reading this reply, please bear in mind that some of this stuff goes back 30 years so total accuracy could be in question. I have absolutely no intention of misleading anyone.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing: