I.................

survived London again today. Why don’t i just say ‘’ i don’t do London ‘’. Trouble is work is short and if you say no don’t know if you will get other work. But is it worth the stress and hassle. Took an hour and a half to do 21 miles.

I went round the North Circular from the M4 over to the M11 earlier this week, i absolutley ■■■■ myself :laughing:

I started driving 7.5t’s down in Central London at 21 loved every minute of it… Blagged the job never driven a truck in my life… Had a 8 month old Atego 815 With Sleeper I thought I was the Bandit :sunglasses: :blush: :sunglasses: :blush:

i dont mind doing london must need certifying lol

Weds I was in SE1 X2, SE7, SE10, SE20, Croydon, Penge…Did 2 U-Turns on the Old Kent road in an artic, to get into a drop in Marlborough Green (SE1) and to get to a drop in Bermondsey…Car drivers love it :laughing: :laughing: First time I went into London in an artic I was ■■■■■■■■ myself, that was 5 weeks ago, now I do it every week and just enjoy re-educating car drivers…I love the Blackheath bit, where the road goes from 2 lanes into 1 on the roundabout…Not lost a game there yet!!! :laughing: :laughing:

London is like a black hole. Easy to get in , but you try getting out again. Struggle to find the place you want. Then try to leave. Can’t turn right no right turn; can’t turn left no vehicles over 7.5ton. And my sat nav joins in the evil game. Taking me round and round in cicles. Down roads you wouldn’t take a push bike. Instead of the straight route out to the motorway. Any other town. Straight to the drop and straight back to the motorway. But London oh no it wants me to see every part of old London town before i manage to trick it and find my way out.

We used to get all parking Tickets paid for aswell… Due to the value of the goods it was insisted we parked outside oiur shops on red routes bus stops double yellows etc… I’d go back tomorrow…

It’s not sooo bad actually but I’ve had a fair amount of it and have a fairly good idea of what’s where which helps massively. The trouble is there are so many signs and things to look at it’s easyto miss the ones you need in the clutter. The good news is that you get plenty of opportunity to read the map at the traffic lights and are unlikely to overshoot your turning by going too fast.

The worst signs are the lorry ban ones, there’s so much info on them about the times of operation it’s confusing especially as during the day they are of no use whatsoever.

I’ve been in some places around Soho (but that’s another story) with my 6 wheeler and have had to hope for the best about getting out again, never been stuck yet. I’ve had a few awkward one with the lowloader too, but somehow always managed to get about.

key 1 to London driving
‘if in doubt pull out’ :smiley:

key 2 to London driving
A-Z Master Atlas and the one with the route planning in it

key 3 to London driving
sat nav plan route then check route on map

then all you have to do is letch at all that totty :smiley: :smiley:

What’s the big deal with London, it’s no worse than any other big city, a bit bigger yeah, but the driving is no worse than in Manchester for example & an hour & a half to do 21 miles? Was it 3am Sunday :laughing: But seriously it can take more than that to do 21 miles up or down the M6 near Birmingham or anywhere north of J18 when it’s busy, which is all the time!

If it scares you, then my advice is as follows,

Go to Boots

Buy lots of cotton wool

Wrap yourself up in it

Hide behind sofa :unamused:

newmercman:
What’s the big deal with London,

Go to Boots

Buy lots of cotton wool

Wrap yourself up in it

Treat it as a load of small villages where people just park where they want, like a small village really.

Anyone fancy a night in the West End tomorrow then?

I’ve got to send 2 trailers to the Duke of Yorks Theatre, St Martins Lane for 11:00 o’clock tomorrow night.

Should be fun.

piece of pish im there every day mon 2 fri 25 drops bish bash bosh in at 6 out at 12 have too use all methods of parking that i cannot get fined for as i have too pay 18t merc actros full size 10 pallets of beer and fizzy pop all hanball and magliner IM WELL HARD e1 ec1 too ec4 n1 e8 e9 and too make it even harder dancy clowra keep shutting off the roads too lay new sewers ,still theirs drivers and theirs drivers :wink:

I don’t like it, but i can do it. I find after a while you adopt an attitude ‘i’ll do want i want and i don’t care what anyone thinks’. St Martins Lane. Sure i was there a month a go. Bit narrow. Just make sure you don’t squash any theatre goers; at that time as they are coming out and a bit unsteady on their feet :wink: .

I get nervous just going from the M11 onto the north circular :exclamation: :exclamation: to do the 2 drops we have in north london. but they way things are looking we are slowly creeping into london picking up new customers.

I’m just waiting for the day i have to deliver to a hotel down oxford street :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

At least in London most the peeps have a half a brain, in the sticks they are just plain dumb.
I like London. :sunglasses:

A road is a road to me. Not really bothered where I’m sent. Still get numpty’s no matter what :laughing:

newmercman:
What’s the big deal with London, it’s no worse than any other big city, a bit bigger yeah, but the driving is no worse than in Manchester for example & an hour & a half to do 21 miles? Was it 3am Sunday :laughing: But seriously it can take more than that to do 21 miles up or down the M6 near Birmingham or anywhere north of J18 when it’s busy, which is all the time!

If it scares you, then my advice is as follows,

Go to Boots

Buy lots of cotton wool

Wrap yourself up in it

i agree with this post as ive never had any trouble with london… well i have had a little trouble but no more than you would expect and its never fazed me. in fact i quite enjoy it as it keeps you on your toes. :laughing: :wink:

AM I MAD :smiling_imp: , I HAVE AND ALWAYS ENJOYED LONDON. from first time i went there (circa 197 0 ) in a removal van to todays date. its great playing with the traffic and the cockanees :laughing: . just do it and enjoy the drive as you would over the breacon beacons at 5 am with the sunrise or in devon/scotyland etc. just another experiance :wink: .i only do this job because i dont get to stressed but still enjoy driving as i did on day one. :open_mouth:
when i dont i will jack it it toot sweet. :frowning: :frowning:
just do it

I enjoy london worked up there for years vans, 7.5t, rigids an now artics never really had any problems, ive even done dustcarts doing nights on commercial collections, soho and westend everynight and drivig into lecster sq at 1am and still packed with people and they would stand inyour way wit there back to you but luckly it was fitted with a air horn :smiling_imp: , soon moved lol…

Plus if you get a good run rare i know, you can park up for a few hours an blame it on traffic :laughing: