I Was Thinking.....

I’ve been asked doing a Class 2 (I’m usually Class 1) run at work, last week and this, delivering to the Golf Open in Blackpool. I’ve been starting at 3am and working around 11-13 hours. I have to get up at 2am and get around 4-5 hours sleep.
Now, most of you will read this and think, ‘Why is he moaning?’ Well I’m not, as it’s a normal kind of thing for us as lorry drivers and it’s not a bad run, something different.
Here’s the thing though. That’s like a ‘normal office worker’ (as the BBC assumes we all are) going to bed at 2-3am, getting up at 7am and into work for 8am then finishing at 7-9pm and staying up until 2-3am again and rinse and repeat.
How many office workers do you know who keep hours like that? If they do it certainly wouldn’t be considered normal.
Before anyone starts, I know it’s the nature of the job and no, I don’t want to work in an office etc. It’s simply something that got me thinking about how different our job and hours are from the ‘norm’.

Simple answer, shift your clock round, go to bed at a suitable time to get the 8 hours or whatever you need.

Our hours have always been long and odd, never likely to change if anything get it will worse as the population gets ever larger and the roads ever more packed as a result.

No you misunderstand. I’m not complaining about lack of sleep or long hours, it’s just and observation. I have an hour after tea and I’m fine till 9 or 10pm and go to bed like a big boy at a grown up time. :wink:

I sympathise with you, I used to do show work in the UK and office wallers don’t even cast a thought about our sleep. Putting up and taking down a show or display the transporting it clashes with their bar time :slight_smile:

sleep in the truck.