I was stuck on the M6 today, and thinked:

Why Britain don’t introduce system like these one:

lorry-rail.com/gallerie/ in France
or even this one:
lhs.pl/zdjecia/pau14.07042003 (from Poland to East).

Imagine: three or four depots: somewhere South-East London, near Birmingham and Glasgow for example.

You are jumping in, tac-tac, tac-tac, tac-tac, dinner in restaurant car and then drive off and to you destination.

No more queues on M6…

the guy in the orange on the polish one is saying to his radio ‘you want it when?!’

Being serious he’s a bankman. On polish railway if the cars are being pushed by engine, there must be guy in orange hi vis and radio, who tells the driver when to stop :wink:

Too much like a good idea for our government

It won’t work in England. For the following reasons.

1. This is England.
  2. It’s too simple.
  3. You would miss your train due to being stuck on a motorway.
  4. If you get to the train your boss will say “Ok, change of plan.”
  5. Not enough road fuel burned=not enough tax.

this has been looked at before and i think the outcome was the bridges are to low and arched,a lot of trailers from france used to be arched at the top they was built like that so they could go under the bridges i think toe used to have a lot of them and calberson.

Hanson is correct its to do with bridge height thats why 9`6 boxes cant go by rail or at least they couldnt a while ago

Here you are orys a couple of pics from the HUPAC service between Frieberg and Novara in Italy
Truck loaded

Looking out of the driver carriage

Tight drive getting on to it in a snow storm then put your chocs in

There was talk recently about opening an old railway line, that goes between Manchester and Shefield which would be for lorries.

Does sound like a good idea but nationwide the railways are in a worse state than the roads, little capacity and the capacity there is the rail companies want to use to rip off passengers.

Government goes on about being green etc… but never does anything to make things more green that are productive only see it as a good excuse to fire up taxes.