I want to book with J Coates Coventry but I have questions

I’ve been looking at getting into trucking for about 3 weeks now and I’ve found this forum to be very helpful but I have a few questions.

Has anybody on here gone with J Coates Coventry before? I’m planning on visiting them before I make a commitment first but it’ll be interesting to know peoples opinions on them. Their website quotes £2596.35 for a Class C course plus Pass Protection and an ADR course, but they do offer 0% finance on their courses. I’m interested more in driving an automatic so it’s easier if that’s possible with J Coates, I know it’s a bit of a sore subject on here whether people should learn in manuals or automatics :smiley:

How long will it take me to realistically pass my Class C if I pass everything first time? I’ve read about 10 weeks.

Since I’m under 25 and if I pass my Class C I’m planning on getting my experience in on the 7.5 tonners as they seem to be easier to get into, is this a good idea? I know the wages are low but I’ve got to start somewhere.

When going for an interview for a truckers job, what do I wear and how do I prepare for it, I don’t want to turn up in a suit while everybody else sits there in a high vis and I look like a total idiothead.

Is a truckers sat nav recommended and why does everybody seem to hate multi-drops?

Thanks all :smiley:

That is very expensive mine was cheaper than that for class c class c+e and cpc so no I wouldn’t be going with them at all I’d be having a word with Peter the group sponsore his training school is highly recommended on here

For your interview smart casual
I’d recommend a hgv sat nav
Multi drop can be hard work chasing your arse all day

That’s wide range of questions. :laughing:

I looked on the website and they are charging £180 for a medical, DVD theory pack and assessment drive. That seems like a lot of money.

You should never have to pay for an assessment drive, that price is far far too high.

samledger1212:
That is very expensive mine was cheaper than that for class c class c+e and cpc so no I wouldn’t be going with them at all I’d be having a word with Peter the group sponsore his training school is highly recommended on here

For your interview smart casual
I’d recommend a hgv sat nav
Multi drop can be hard work chasing your arse all day

One of the reasons I’m looking at J Coates is because of the 0% finance which makes it much manageable, but I don’t want to go with them purely because of that.

NickW88:
You should never have to pay for an assessment drive, that price is far far too high.

What do you think a good price for a course plus Pass Protection and ADR should be?

austers:
I’ve been looking at getting into trucking for about 3 weeks now and I’ve found this forum to be very helpful but I have a few questions.

Has anybody on here gone with J Coates Coventry before? I’m planning on visiting them before I make a commitment first but it’ll be interesting to know peoples opinions on them. Their website quotes £2596.35 for a Class C course plus Pass Protection and an ADR course, but they do offer 0% finance on their courses. I’m interested more in driving an automatic so it’s easier if that’s possible with J Coates, I know it’s a bit of a sore subject on here whether people should learn in manuals or automatics :smiley:

How long will it take me to realistically pass my Class C if I pass everything first time? I’ve read about 10 weeks.

Since I’m under 25 and if I pass my Class C I’m planning on getting my experience in on the 7.5 tonners as they seem to be easier to get into, is this a good idea? I know the wages are low but I’ve got to start somewhere.

When going for an interview for a truckers job, what do I wear and how do I prepare for it, I don’t want to turn up in a suit while everybody else sits there in a high vis and I look like a total idiothead.

Is a truckers sat nav recommended and why does everybody seem to hate multi-drops?

Thanks all :smiley:

My class C is costing less than £1200

Are you sure its not ■■■■ Turpin training you are booked with?

austers:

NickW88:

What do you think a good price for a course plus Pass Protection and ADR should be?

Bollox to the lot of it, just use a provider that doesn’t shaft you on a retest!
Now let me think… How about the forum sponsor! :smiley:
You’re probably VERY VERY new here pal, but plenty on here have used him, and you won’t ever hear a bad review…
Well, unless it’s about the coffee machine! :wink:

As far as I can see the price of £2596.35 is for 5 days cat C training + mod 2 training material + mod 4 training and test + ADR.

5 days cat C training is £1,195
If you want 2 additional test attempts it’s another £450

I could be wrong but I think you’ll find those are quite competitive rates.

Unless you’ve got a job lined up that requires ADR it may be more prudent to do it at a later date.

Evil8Beezle:

austers:

NickW88:

Bollox to the lot of it, just use a provider that doesn’t shaft you on a retest!
Now let me think… How about the forum sponsor! :smiley:
You’re probably VERY VERY new here pal, but plenty on here have used him, and you won’t ever hear a bad review…
Well, unless it’s about the coffee machine! :wink:

Where is the forum sponsor based, yes I am new here I’ve got a lot to learn still :wink:

Someone on here not that long ago used J Coates and was having a real ■■■■ time with the instructor,constantly ■■■■■■ and jeffing at him for every mistake he made whilst driving…sounded a right bell end tbh

tachograph:
As far as I can see the price of £2596.35 is for 5 days cat C training + mod 2 training material + mod 4 training and test + ADR.

5 days cat C training is £1,195
If you want 2 additional test attempts it’s another £450

I could be wrong but I think you’ll find those are quite competitive rates.

Unless you’ve got a job lined up that requires ADR it may be more prudent to do it at a later date.

How much does one retest normally cost, the whole course if I take out the retests and and ADR is £1744 which might sound more reasonable, I’ve read around a lot that it’s best to not just go for the cheapest trainer but then again don’t expect quality just because the costs are higher. It says that taking ADR adds to 21 hours of Driver CPC training which sounds like a good idea unless there is something I don’t know about, plus I’d like to make myself more employable.

Forum sponsor charges 1350 for cat c, mention trucknet and it goes down to 1215. I used him for C, and going back in a few weeks for CE. He’s based in Mansfield and is his own test centre. Truckdrivertraining.co.uk.

PM Peter Smythe, he’ll only be too happy to help with any questions.

NickW88:
Forum sponsor charges 1350 for cat c, mention trucknet and it goes down to 1215. I used him for C, and going back in a few weeks for CE. He’s based in Mansfield and is his own test centre. Truckdrivertraining.co.uk.

Okay thanks, it is a bit far away from me though :frowning: I’ve read great things about him.

austers:

NickW88:

Okay thanks, it is a bit far away from me though :frowning: I’ve read great things about him.

Peter also has a site in Peterborough. Top class training, can’t fault it.

Peter also offers free B&B for people travelling over 70 miles. I used it, it’s great.

This is a good list for training schools are DSA approved
dft.gov.uk/fyn/lgv.php

I doubt any of them offer finance.
Imo if you don’t have the funds and you still want to do it, get a credit card out. Usually the first x amount of months are free. I know some credit cards even offer installments for large purchases at 0% for a flat fee.
Much better then choosing a school just because it has its own finance package.

DJC:

austers:

NickW88:

Peter also has a site in Peterborough. Top class training, can’t fault it.

Peter also offers free B&B for people travelling over 70 miles. I used it, it’s great.

Not anymore he doesn’t. They closed that place down.

I tried J Coates Northampton, nice new auto lorry (hired in) bit put off by the fact they were operating out of a carpark on a trading estate, go for a 0 percent credit card/bank loan it’s not a throwaway purchase more long term investment

It’s worth the B&B for the training on offer mate. It sounds a daunting prospect but I’d recommend seeing what he has to offer if you can manage it.

I was daft enough to learn in a manual and they got me through that so they can pretty much teach anyone! Haha

Only advice I can give is don’t pay a penny without an assessment drive and go for an accredited training company. Don’t book until you’ve had a look!

Radar19:
Not anymore he doesn’t. They closed that place down.

Really? I thought it just opened!? :open_mouth: