I turned down a job!

Today i went for an interview at a blue chip company
Interview went well

Good points

Hours are 11.30 to 21.30 (wow just exactly hours i wanted!!)

20 miles/30 mins drive, not too bad.

Easy job… 14 miles to customer (30 mins) ,tip and reload. upto 20 pallets forklift and pump truck (another 30 mins)

repeat 4 times and an hours break (not paid :frowning:)

Reckoned to be less than 9 hours a day working.

Moving away from being a limping bluetooth wearing scruffy agency driver :grimacing:

So get holiday pay etc :slight_smile:

Bad point… only one and big stopping point i reckon

£22300 a year

No that is not a typing error

Thinking did i do right thing?

My last PAYE job was 10 years ago earning £24000 at 50 hours per week, but a lot of early starts between 3 am and 6 am, come thursday done 40+ hours allways a short day friday :astonished:

Keep looking me thinks

So your previous job paid £8.39/hr assuming time and a half after 8hrs with stupid hours starts, this one pays £9.02 per hour and the take home pay would be the same for doing 45 hours a week tops at sensible hours than doing a job that was 50+hrs a week starting before the sun comes up.

Its a blue chip so there are usually bonus schemes, a decent pension scheme and other incentives. Did you take those into account?

Not sure why you said about the holiday pay as you should be getting holiday pay on agency unless Ltd.

Conor:
So your previous job paid £8.39/hr assuming time and a half after 8hrs with stupid hours starts, this one pays £9.02 per hour and the take home pay would be the same for doing 45 hours a week tops at sensible hours than doing a job that was 50+hrs a week starting before the sun comes up.

Its a blue chip so there are usually bonus schemes, a decent pension scheme and other incentives. Did you take those into account?

Not sure why you said about the holiday pay as you should be getting holiday pay on agency unless Ltd.

Yes i am Ltd, and since since April have lost travel to work and sustenance allowance, may as well go for permanent job.But loose my flexibility for work. And not going to earn less than ten years ago!

Increase you rates to cover the losses there are ways to make it pay. If you only doing day work then it won’t look as good. You should still get sustinence allowance

Pay for most truck driving jobs is the same as 10 years ago.So you turned down the job getten paid 1700 a year less but the hours are less pay is pants but all depends were you live and what your doing.

Colin_scottish:
Pay for most truck driving jobs is the same as 10 years ago.So you turned down the job getten paid 1700 a year less but the hours are less pay is pants but all depends were you live and what your doing.

Job was in leicester for a major MAIL delivery firm in the UK :wink:

But jobs at coventry depot are 6k more!
Personally i am happy working upto 10 hours a day … weekends not a problem as no ties apart from 3 cats lol

andy187:

Colin_scottish:

Job was in leicester for a major MAIL delivery firm in the UK :wink:

But jobs at coventry depot are 6k more!
Personally i am happy working upto 10 hours a day … weekends not a problem as no ties apart from 3 cats lol

Maybe its the people at that depot :wink: it will all depend on what they accepted.As we all know most haulage companies want to pay as little as possable but wages have been kept low because of over supply.

andy187:
Moving away from being a limping bluetooth wearing scruffy agency driver :grimacing:

£22300 a year

My last PAYE job was 10 years ago earning £24000 at 50 hours per week, but a lot of early starts between 3 am and 6 am, come thursday done 40+ hours allways a short day friday :astonished:

Keep looking me thinks

Lets do the math.

22300 / 52 = 428pw

428 * 4 = 1712

22300 + 1712 = 24012

tommymanc:

andy187:

£22300 a year

Keep looking me thinks

Lets do the math.

22300 / 52 = 428pw

428 * 4 = 1712

22300 + 1712 = 24012

the 22300 included holiday pay… at present on agency averaging 28000 this year.
no holiday pay

andy187:
the 22300 included holiday pay… at present on agency averaging 28000 this year.
no holiday pay

Now don’t I feel foolish… :blush:

What do you want, a medal?

andy187:
Yes i am Ltd, and since since April have lost travel to work and sustenance allowance, may as well go for permanent job.But loose my flexibility for work. And not going to earn less than ten years ago!

How? You’re self employed so the only way you could lose those is if you took them off yourself.

Conor:

andy187:

How? You’re self employed so the only way you could lose those is if you took them off yourself.

Since April hmrc cracking down. Psc or msc I think it called.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

Not really it depends how he does his accounts or via a msc is nova

You can make around 9 quid an hour riding a moped delivering food in London

Jobs sounds better than mine, £21k for 50hrs and 3 nights a week.

I keep reading about this “driver shortage” yet I don’t see wages going up, which, in a Supply and Demand economy, would logically be what would happen if demand for drivers outstripped supply.

Harry Monk:
I keep reading about this “driver shortage” yet I don’t see wages going up, which, in a Supply and Demand economy, would logically be what would happen if demand for drivers outstripped supply.

That’s because there isn’t a driver shortage…there’s a shortage of good drivers…entirely different.

DonutUK:

Harry Monk:

That’s because there isn’t a driver shortage…there’s a shortage of good drivers…entirely different.

Indeed, and a shortage of transport ‘management’ that know the difference.

tommymanc:
Lets do the maths.

There, that’s better.
We aren’t Americans.