I SHIFT TIPS

Pimpdaddy:

rob22888:
How so? Which other automatic transmission is easier & better to drive?

They’re all the same to me, put it in drive & go, motor will sort itself out:grin:

Yea the first daf autos were bang on :unamused: :unamused:

seth 70:

i had a rental DAF a few weeks ago with auto box, no problems, I just drive to how the box works & to suit me:)

Pimpdaddy:

seth 70:

i had a rental DAF a few weeks ago with auto box, no problems, I just drive to how the box works & to suit me:)

You come across as driver who is happy enough driving anything as long as its tax,tested and roadworthy,fair play pimpdaddy :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

waynedl:

switchlogic:
Got to be stationary to engage 3rd reverse. Will do 30mph in 3rd! Handy for a long reverse in unit but a bit too rapid with a trailer. As for pulling away I’ve never had to put it in manual, it always seems to pick the right gear.

Should bloody hope so with 750bhp :open_mouth:

If your truck has a PTO, when in neutral, engage PTO, then press the ‘gear up’ button and it changes to N2 = faster PTO

Surprisingly I’ve driven many trucks before this! Many of them Volvos. Cant say I’ve ever had a problem pulling away

seth 70:
You come across as driver who is happy enough driving anything as long as its tax,tested and roadworthy,fair play pimpdaddy :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

To a certain extent yes, one thing I don’t do is Axors, doesn’t matter if it’s taxed, tested or roadworthy:lol:
I genuinely can’t see the big deal with ishift, all have 12 forward, at least 2 reverse, sometimes a clutch & sometimes disengage to save fuel etc etc.

Pimpdaddy:

seth 70:

To a certain extent yes, one thing I don’t do is Axors, doesn’t matter if it’s taxed, tested or roadworthy:lol:
I genuinely can’t see the big deal with ishift, all have 12 forward, at least 2 reverse, sometimes a clutch & sometimes disengage to save fuel etc etc.

What i dont get with the axor is why the cab is so narrow and high,why not a bit lower and wider, :unamused:

seth 70:
What i dont get with the axor is why the cab is so narrow and high,why not a bit lower and wider, :unamused:

Because it’d become a small actros:)

switchlogic:
Got to be stationary to engage 3rd reverse. Will do 30mph in 3rd! Handy for a long reverse in unit but a bit too rapid with a trailer. As for pulling away I’ve never had to put it in manual, it always seems to pick the right gear.

i tried for R3 when stationary, and lo and behold it went up to R4!!
i had a quick go backwards in R3, blody nora that was interesting!!

kindle530:

switchlogic:

i tried for R3 when stationary, and lo and behold it went up to R4!!
i had a quick go backwards in R3, blody nora that was interesting!!

Ah I thought it had 4 but wasn’t certain. 2 &'3 can be good for showing off by referring on ferries at breakneck speed, if one is feeling confident!

kindle530:
For loading or unloading, if you grab the suspension control and press the left button so the orange light comes on, (either with engine running or just with ignition on) you can then turn ignition off, lock cab up and the suspension level will stay at ride height rather than lifting the air bags up to maximum when tipping, or if loading it will stop your mudguards sitting on top of your tyres.

tried it last night, good tip thanks.

Trukkertone:

kindle530:
For loading or unloading, if you grab the suspension control and press the left button so the orange light comes on, (either with engine running or just with ignition on) you can then turn ignition off, lock cab up and the suspension level will stay at ride height rather than lifting the air bags up to maximum when tipping, or if loading it will stop your mudguards sitting on top of your tyres.

It works great when tipping and loading from the side but when your on a bay with a fork truck rolling in and
out the back doors, it will drain all your air

I can find 4th reverse on my tipper but would never use it! the only idiot I know who use’s it keeps ripping off prop-shafts & centre bearings on the tip he spends plenty of time behind a wrecker being towed home :laughing:

205:

Trukkertone:

kindle530:

It works great when tipping and loading from the side but when your on a bay with a fork truck rolling in and

No worries truckertone.

I do this at all my deliveries and colletions, including max weight (eg 26 pallets of beer on a bay to Tesco’s) and it has been working fine

kindle530:

205:

Trukkertone:

kindle530:

No worries truckertone.

I do this at all my deliveries and colletions, including max weight (eg 26 pallets of beer on a bay to Tesco’s) and it has been working fine

hmmmmm it works but last time i used it on a bay it drained all my air, red lights and alarms drained, so i never tried it again

I’d like to also thank kindle530 for the tip about the Volvo air suspension. Tried it tonight and works a treat, just wish our DAF units did it. Always been a pet peeve of mine how when tipping my final store off the bulkhead the air bags would raise up & all my empties from other drops would start rolling all over the place.

Weird you can only put it into a higher gear from stationary. On the Astronic you can start in RL and change to RH once you get going doesn’t go anywhere near 30mph though without revving the ■■■■ off it.

As stated, you can change to a higher gear in reverse with an i-shift whilst moving, just not the highest - end of pedant mode. The suspension locking thing appears to work with all modern Volvos, not just those benefiting from i-shift, of course. What I think would be incredibly useful sometimes would be to have a sideways tilt as well as fore-aft, to cope with road camber on some deliveries, or does that secret function also exist somewhere?

Snudger:
What I think would be incredibly useful sometimes would be to have a sideways tilt as well as fore-aft, to cope with road camber on some deliveries, or does that secret function also exist somewhere?

Yes, I’ve always wanted this, for deliveries and sleeping!

Snudger:
The suspension locking thing appears to work with all modern Volvos, not just those benefiting from i-shift, of course

No probs rob22888!

I was shown how to do this when i was working for a Swedish company in 1999-2000, driving a series 1 FH.
As for the tilting thing, i can never sleep with my feet up higher than my head, hence i have allways had a block of wood in a side locker.

kindle530:
As for the tilting thing, i can never sleep with my feet up higher than my head, hence i have allways had a block of wood in a side locker.

I’d be worried about getting splinters in my head. Would it not be more comfortable to just use an extra pillow?