I set the limiter to 52mph....and guess what?

I did’nt have to overtake hardly any one on the motorway and the one’s i did, i had 4mph in reserve to push on past! i have been driving like this for a while now and it’s so much less stressful, obviously nobody’s perfect and i still find myself pushing the pedal through the floor trying to gain half a mile an hour.
I wondered what any of you thought about this :question:

PS. I hope to get more posts by my name, now that i have finally got a pc
(never had one before)

Welcome to the club, also you’ll find your using less fuel, which in this day and age could be a good thing :slight_smile:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: At last i got a reply, i was beggining to think that trucker’s work while on duty !

Set it for 51 it really makes the tesco drivers day when they can overtake someone :smiley:

chris:
I did’nt have to overtake hardly any one on the motorway and the one’s i did, i had 4mph in reserve to push on past! i have been driving like this for a while now and it’s so much less stressful, obviously nobody’s perfect and i still find myself pushing the pedal through the floor trying to gain half a mile an hour.
I wondered what any of you thought about this :question:

PS. I hope to get more posts by my name, now that i have finally got a pc
(never had one before)

Are you paid by the hour and, if tes, does that help :question: :question:

chris:
:lol: :laughing: :laughing: At last i got a reply, i was beggining to think that trucker’s work while on duty !

Shh :wink: Don’t start any rumours!
Actually it called shifts, I don’t start until three, so when you’ve knocked off at teatime and are having a cool one, save one for me! :sunglasses:

howatsi:

chris:
:lol: :laughing: :laughing: At last i got a reply, i was beggining to think that trucker’s work while on duty !

Shh :wink: Don’t start any rumours!
Actually it called shifts, I don’t start until three, so when you’ve knocked off at teatime and are having a cool one, save one for me! :sunglasses:

me too. im starting in about an hour or so. what a cracking time to start, just in time to be caught in rush hour traffic doing teh tesco’s in thenew forest/bournemouth area. nice one. might even take my camera!

I don’t know how to do that paste thing that everyone does but in answer to rog’s Q (don’t take this the wrong way ) if you drive for 45 hrs on the limiter your gonna gain 225 km over the week that’s about 135 miles, so ok it would make a difference over a year but that just proves the tight profit margins that you have to keep to just run a truck, there’s no way i could handle that stress :sunglasses:

chris:
I don’t know how to do that paste thing that everyone does but in answer to rog’s Q

Click the quote button in the top right of the post in question mate.

sooner i get wherever,the longer i can rest,the sooner i get back,the longer i get at home. but,each to their own :sunglasses:

whooshwhoosh:
sooner i get wherever,the longer i can rest,the sooner i get back,the longer i get at home. but,each to their own :sunglasses:

Is it also a case of - the quicker I do it, the less I get paid :question: :question:

Not everyone gets paid by the hour though, so it’s not in everyone’s interest to drag it out. Most of our trucks are limited to 86 anyway which about 54mph, certainly won’t be setting it down to 52, besides you still come across plenty of car drivers going slower than tescos, sainsbury’s and morrisons.

I still don’t believe setting the limiter between 85-90 makes any difference on economy. The trucks we have all have dataloggers that record mileage, fuel economy etc. Some have limiters set to 85, 86, 87 and some 90. All motors do all the different routes so they’re not doing different work yet the fuel economy figures show no direct link between a the speed limiter and fuel economy, infact some of the ones set at 90 had the best. Fine without a controlled test you can’t work it out, but that showed real world useage and it made no difference.

Most of your fuel economy is down to the bits when you come off the motorway anyway, as on the motorway you may be sitting at 10mpg for a few hours, but then when you do some A/B roads for half an hour you’ll be stop start and frequently doing 4-6mpg which brings the economy of the whole trip down, and it’s how you use the throttle through these bits that affects your overal economy the most. So there’s not point saving 0.1mpg for 100miles of motorway only to throw it all away within 5minutes of coming off the motorway which is easily done.

whooshwhoosh:

What i meant in the first place was that if you do 85k you’re not sitting up someone’s arse for miles on end waiting for a chance to pull out and then crawling past for ages only for them to come flying past on the next hill, then the whole thing starts again, first of all i think it’s safer and less stressful at 85k, over 4&1/2 hours driving on the limiter your gaining about 12 minutes, it just does’nt seem worth it to me. This is my view and i would never judge how other people drive :smiling_imp:

chris:

whooshwhoosh:

What i meant in the first place was that if you do 85k you’re not sitting up someone’s arse for miles on end waiting for a chance to pull out and then crawling past for ages only for them to come flying past on the next hill, then the whole thing starts again, first of all i think it’s safer and less stressful at 85k, over 4&1/2 hours driving on the limiter your gaining about 12 minutes, it just does’nt seem worth it to me. This is my view and i would never judge how other people drive :smiling_imp:

This 12 minutes, or 24 minutes , makes all the difference when you’re on 8hrs55, or 9hrs 58 driving every day when you pull the card .
It can be the difference between getting Friday’s backload off on Friday, or losing Monday’s outload in order to finish fridays work.

This is my view and i would never judge how other people drive.

ROG:

whooshwhoosh:

Is it also a case of - the quicker I do it, the less I get paid :question: :question:

not really, unless your doing like glasgow to manchester and then your only really save 15-20mins tops which could be the difference between getting there in your 4hrs 30mins and not.

if i want to drag out a shift there is easier ways to do it. at my place we don’t hang about and we are experts at dragging shifts out :slight_smile:

i get paid by the hour and sit on the limiter espec up in scotland on 2 lane motorways because maybe you will get 10pence extra wages going that 4mph slower between glasgow and edinburgh on the M8 but you will also force all the other heavies trying to get place into lane 2 to over take you and slow everyone else down if lane 2 is filled with cars and the other trucks can’t get out. Believe me thats loads of fun if you’ve driven through the night up from Bridgwater to Livingston and just wanted into a RDC to get tipped and then get some shut eye.

Kiowan:
Not everyone gets paid by the hour though, so it’s not in everyone’s interest to drag it out.

No, I get £90 a day whether I do one hour or fifteen, so i generally like to get on with it and get parked up.

Kenny1975:

ROG:

whooshwhoosh:

not really, unless your doing like glasgow to manchester and then your only really save 15-20mins tops which could be the difference between getting there in your 4hrs 30mins and not.

if i want to drag out a shift there is easier ways to do it. at my place we don’t hang about and we are experts at dragging shifts out :slight_smile:

i get paid by the hour and sit on the limiter espec up in scotland on 2 lane motorways because maybe you will get 10pence extra wages going that 4mph slower between glasgow and edinburgh on the M8 but you will also force all the other heavies trying to get place into lane 2 to over take you and slow everyone else down if lane 2 is filled with cars and the other trucks can’t get out. Believe me thats loads of fun if you’ve driven through the night up from Bridgwater to Livingston and just wanted into a RDC to get tipped and then get some shut eye.

This i did not expect :open_mouth: as soon as i posted the subject of 52mph some people think it’s about hanging the job out, well i don’t understand that!
And if some of you are putting yourselves at risk just to get the load off for your boss each day/night then i suppose we can’t moan if the ‘management’ are always pushing drivers to do things they don’t want to do, if we are doing it anyway. :astonished:

i prefer to get where im going as quick as i can, safely and legally of course, and then have the time at the other end to chill out and do what i want with it, rather than waste the time driving, but then im not on tachos so i can get away with that

has tesco, morrisons etc up there limiters?? i used to fly past in my old truck at 52mph. truck i have now does 55mph and i got chewed up by a tesco truck on a1m peterborough other night and same night coming up a2 sainsbury truck managed to over take :open_mouth:

ST3:
has tesco, morrisons etc up there limiters?? i used to fly past in my old truck at 52mph. truck i have now does 55mph and i got chewed up by a tesco truck on a1m peterborough other night and same night coming up a2 sainsbury truck managed to over take :open_mouth:

Sainsbury’s up here in Scotland its DHL, the trucks arent slowed down like other supermarkets. They are just set at what they come out the factory at.

I was driving a Volvo for Sainbury’s down to Haydock and was overtaking most other trucks on the road.