I said to the Mrs

If I went for my CE and needed to stay out up to 5 nights a week what would she think?

She looked at me and had a smile on her face …then said one less to cook, make pack lunches, clean dishes for and I can “star shape in the bed” (no change there then I thought). :open_mouth:
I mentioned the about £500 a weekish (reading here) I was kicked in the knackers at this point, she said “So you will be working nearly as hard as me then” …dont you hate career women :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Seriously, she is a great girl/wife and mother to my daughter and stepson but she wouldn’t have a problem if I looked further to increase my earning potential into something I finally found that I liked.
The irony is I sat on this licence old class3 for 27+ years :blush: and did nothing with it until relatively recently.

I actually like the calm of a night out in the wagon :sunglasses:

The point of my Single Malt ramblings is…what do your wives think of you out in the truck from one night a week to top end six nights a week, or more?

If your marriage is strong enough then no problem, if it’s not, I’ll give you the number of the divorce lawyer my ex wife used!

Cost me two marriages, and if I was away more than 4 nights a week on this job the current one would be on the rock also.

I asked this, she said “who would make my dinner if you were galavanting around the country at night…”

Bloody cheeeeeeek

F-reds

I’m not allowed nights out anymore she said! Not even one… :slight_smile:

I’ve had the same conversation about using my c+e and staying out all week the problem is the take home pays I see on here or through chatting to mates who do it is sometimes less or not a great deal more than I get for being every night. I know the money’s there if your willing to do it but the likes that take home the kind if of money that would make it worthwhile either I imagine do European or have been with there gaffer a few years and have seen the money go up. If I left my job of 8 years it would only mean starting from scratch elsewhere. She did say it would be nice not to be woken up by the alarm at half 5 though.

Can someone please explain in detail how things like this cost marriages, I don’t get it…!?

Pimpdaddy:
Can someone please explain in detail how things like this cost marriages, I don’t get it…!?

They get Bored & meet people, I was doing days & nights at the same time (day job at an engineering company & doing newspapers at night) my ex got friendly with a salesman at her company, he earn’t more than me & she was off like a shot. :unamused:

martinviking:
They get Bored & meet people, I was doing days & nights at the same time (day job at an engineering company & doing newspapers at night) my ex got friendly with a salesman at her company, he earn’t more than me & she was off like a shot. :unamused:

This has always been my assumption & people call me crazy (of which I know I am). I know with me it’s only a matter of time hence being unmarried:)

I was asked if I wanted to be a tramper (yes, an 8w muckshifting wagon). I told the wife, worked out the earnings (about £100 p/w more), 3 or 4 nights in a P cab.
I stuck with a day cab MAN.
:wink:

If you wanted to live a single life why get married? You maybe ok on your own all week but will she?

When I was away Monday to Friday I was only £80 a week better off…some drivers spend more than that a week on food going to the pub etc so to me are working away for nothing.
I’m settling in to my job now been home every night with only very occasional nights out,
Personally I’m enjoying time with the mrs and not having to cram all my jobs in to the weekend and also getting my gear ready on a Sunday night to go back to work Monday morning started to depress me knowing I’d be at work all week.
Each to there own but just my view

It depends on the relationship. My missus treats it the same as me “absence makes the heart grow fonder”.
It’s not always as rose tinted as that. I’ve done some jobs that have been ok, But the office staff have been a pain in the backside, RDC staff, Security guards winding me up. It reflects negatively on the home life.
Then there’s the interesting work, Left alone to get on with it, Having banter with the boss and the office staff. You get home refreshed, and that has a positive effect on the home life.
I’ve taken my missus with me in the UK and abroad, She loved it and so did i.

Give it a go. Some jobs take a newby 2 weeks to find his feet, But haulage is different. It takes about 6 months to get reversing to a fine art, Then another 6 months for you to realise you didn’t have it off to a fine art. :laughing:

Depends on the relationship and what its founded on.

If you have a close relationship and enjoy being together every or nearly every night, then going tramping is inviting problems and courting disaster.

If you live separate lives and happen to share a house then it may well work.

There will be endless scenarios between the two.

Tramping is a single bloke’s scene, even if he’s married.

Juddian:
Tramping is a single bloke’s scene, even if he’s married.

Not for all. Its worked really well for us. probably strengthened our relationship.

A relationship should be strong enough that nothing can tear it apart.

limeyphil:
It takes about 6 months to get reversing to a fine art, Then another 6 months for you to realise you didn’t have it off to a fine art. :laughing:

:smiley: :smiley: :laughing: :laughing: Like that

dri-diddly-iver:

limeyphil:
It takes about 6 months to get reversing to a fine art, Then another 6 months for you to realise you didn’t have it off to a fine art. :laughing:

:smiley: :smiley: :laughing: :laughing: Like that

^^^^ what he said :grimacing:

Works well for us as she can run the house with three kids much easier without being woken up at 5am, and making dinner once and not having to do mine and have more pots etc.
I’d rather not have to drive back to the yard daily it’s extremely monotonous and if you stay away from service areas and lay bys can get a very nice deep sleep going on.

It works for me, in fact I tend to get in the way of routines etc when I am back.

We have 5 children, so routine is the best option. Luckily I have a very strong willed wife.

We both took the decision for me to go tramping, and I will start being away for longer than a week at a time.

As has been mentioned you need a strong relationship with a lot of trust, as the time away will pick away at any shortcomings.

The only thing it costs me is a babysitter twice a week, so my wife can go running

Works well for me and the current Mrs BV1. We appreciate each other more when I’ve been away.