I rolled over a truck

not just once i rolled it over 6 times -
the short story of my roll overs

If you are going to have to do “training” this is what the bosses should be sending you to do.

the full story will be in the July issue of T&D, in the mean time, take this fact with you, I LEARNT things of this days course that may save my life or preserve another road users life, that in itself in my mind is cost effiecient. I also learnt that things I thought were obvious, were in fact wrong, and was shown conclusively that my preconceptions were wrong. not by someone teling me, but by being in a truck and trying “MY WAY” and then trying the way the instructors suggested

this course is not sitting in a classroom, you will take a truck to the point of rollover and beyond and realise how easy it can occur and from the cab how you wont even know its happening. You will learn that old techiniques of emergency braking wil actually , when combined with ABS and other systems, actually negate the effects of those systems,

to give an example… what is more prone to a rollover, a half filled tanker or a tanker filled to the brim?

after nearly 30 years in the industry I have no shame in saying this day was one of the most enlightening and productive days i have ever spent “training”

If we “Have” to do training this should be compulsory

ps… its great fun too

Hi rikki
to know how to react in a roll over and as it can happen so fast is there any time to react to what is going on as you said

from the cab how you wont even know its happening

That is one of the beauties of this training, because there is so little warning of a rollover, experiencing one (or 6) gives an indication of the circumstances that can lead to it. In a controlled enviroment that experience is invaluable because outside of that training the only way you will learn the limits is when you lay one on its side, and thats not a good thing :slight_smile:

In answer to your question Rikki the half full tanker will be more likely to roll because the contents, even with a baffled tank are far more mobile and therefore can induce more sideways momentum so if your vehicle is unstable in any direction this will compound the problem.

It sounds like a fantastic course, especially for a young driver such as myself. Do you know how much these corse would cost somebody like me and where I could do them?

One of the worst tankers is a Milk tanker not full you cannot have baffles in them,Because the milk turns to butter with them in. So when you stop you have to make sure you have the brakes on good or you will be up the arse of what is in front of you

Was the Instructors name David? They take those rigs all over Europe down as far as Turkey.

Nice work if you can get it!! :laughing: :wink:

Robertthegreat:
One of the worst tankers is a Milk tanker not full you cannot have baffles in them,Because the milk turns to butter with them in. So when you stop you have to make sure you have the brakes on good or you will be up the arse of what is in front of you

yes an i it is only half full it will make you sea sick especially after a night on the pop :astonished: :astonished: :astonished: :astonished:

Never pulled a loaded (or part) tank, but it wouldn’t suprise me if Rikki comes back & tells us its the fully laden one more likely to roll… because the centre of gravity is higher.

Never mind going on another course to simulate a roll over, I can tell you exactly whats It like… 45deg up an ‘A’ road batter, come to a stop that seems like an age, then slowly she goes in slow mo, hands on ceiling and hope for the best. After a bit of metal crunching. stand on drivers door, open passenger window out pops ‘jack in box’…
A new window[drivers] new side view mirror, bit of an engineers hammer work out ,hey presto back in the same truck two days later, made the tamworth news front page and been the but of many a joke since like the only man to drive an ‘8’ legger on 4 wheels since bond in ‘diamonds are forever’ When I can work out how to get the newspaper clipping onto here I will…
:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

A forty two year old experienced, local lorry driver died a few weeks ago when his lorry carrying animal feed rolled over on a slip road to a motorway.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7926604.stm

Surely if they fitted all trailers with out-riggers then roll-overs would be eliminated… :unamused: :unamused: