I quit

rob22888:

Freight Dog:

Dipper_Dave:
So perhaps trolley dolloying is your best route to follow from now on…

^^
Mm. My misses would most definitely have something to say about that, she is an air hostess. Things they deal with are most definitely not snowflake. Puke, [zb] up the walls in toilets, people puking on her. People handing her bags of puke. Perverts trying to touch her up. Fights on board. Keeping someone alive having a heart attack until they could land. Person last week had a serious illness and it was flying out all ends. She’s been on board dealing with 80 hysterical passengers when the aircraft had a hold fire. All for peanut pay and public derision about their role on board.

And they do no notice “nights out”.

Lorrying easy peasy by comparison. So not a good alternative

“Trolly Dollying” means supermarket work.

IE. Turn up at your set start time (max an hour either side), sit in the brew room, sign a few new risk assessments, get given a run, refuse it because it’ll take you over 8 hours, that run then gets given to agency, get another run thats to your satisfaction, walk to unit with high vis vest zipped up strictly following the painted walkway, VOR unit because a bulbs out, get allocated another unit, find some grease on step so fill out a “near miss” form, carry out checks, get trailer, carry out more checks, H&S bod has a word in your ear because you missed a step when alighting the cat walk, leave yard with high vis still on, religiously observe all speed limits and do 48mph on the motorway, arrive at delivery, initially refuse to back on bay because yard isn’t as per risk assessment, tip, reload empties, toss it off on the service road behind the shop for a bit, return to depot, refuse second run because it’ll take you over 8 hours, attend investigation for missing step on catwalk earlier, drink coffee, clock out, go home. Rinse & repeat.

:laughing: :laughing: . Oh really. Never heard it applied to anything else. Looks like the term has found a new place in the lorry world too. I never did supermarkets. Didn’t appeal.

commonrail:
Obviously you’re triggered.

What’s triggered?

I can see the OP’s point, maybe if asked beforehand it wouldnt be a problem but…transport isnt a 9-5 job and going into this game requires flexibility. Helping out and doing a little more than the initial job description puts the ball in your court when wanting time off and some flexibility on their side.
Tbh i dont see a problem in 4-5 nights outs a week and dont see the ‘need’ to be home every night. Maybe its home sickness…

Pat Hasler:

Redrum:

I’m sure I could contest it if I wanted. I have no contract but I’m fairly sure I should’ve been given one after 3 months service. I had no verbal warning, no written warning, just an ultimatum. I’m just glad to be out of there it had been building up for a while. If anybodies considering working for a firm in Wellington, Telford that pulls curtainsiders I’d reconsider.

Isn’t it law that you must be given a contract of employment before starting work for any country, if you go to court with this you have a dam good chance. By the way well done for standing up for yourself.

It’s within two months in the UK. I never do one before 1 month in case they disappear, saves me messing about with paperwork.

There’s 2 kinds of tramper. The ones who must be maxing out hours every day and week and get annoyed at less than 4 nights out but prefer 5nights out, and work every bank holiday etc.

Then there’s the ones who prefer to get home during the week, not bothered about max hours etc

There’s nothing wrong with either approach. Everyone different with different circumstances.

The point here is that the op is prepared to do nights out, including an emergency. But when your boss doesn’t even tell you on the way to the collection, oh by the way your taking this load, so you can prepare, get more supplies if needed en route. That’s not an emergency.

Some drivers/bosses/planners just have this opinion that if your not the type of tramper that I first mentioned then your not doing it right and you should be like that, and if you want any kind of home life then the job isn’t for you :unamused:

Freight Dog:

commonrail:

What’s triggered?

Wound up

Rowley010:
There’s 2 kinds of tramper. The ones who must be maxing out hours every day and week and get annoyed at less than 4 nights out but prefer 5nights out, and work every bank holiday etc.

Then there’s the ones who prefer to get home during the week, not bothered about max hours etc

There’s nothing wrong with either approach. Everyone different with different circumstances.

The point here is that the op is prepared to do nights out, including an emergency. But when your boss doesn’t even tell you on the way to the collection, oh by the way your taking this load, so you can prepare, get more supplies if needed en route. That’s not an emergency.

Some drivers/bosses/planners just have this opinion that if your not the type of tramper that I first mentioned then your not doing it right and you should be like that, and if you want any kind of home life then the job isn’t for you :unamused:

So basically what your saying is its ok to be treated like dog crap
You should read the post again your missing the whole point but your not on your own there going by some of the unbelievably replys

It’s the whole ‘unplanned night out, was the final straw’ thing I’m struggling with (or maybe im just stirring).
Surely being shafted with poor pay would trigger first.

It’s a given in this job (class 1) whether on day work or not there’s a probability one may find themselves stuck out. If you take a job and are told youl be home every night even that I would expect a night out once in a blue moon.
Occasional nights out translates to 1 or 2 a week possibly 3 and ‘tramping’ = out all week and pulling every trick in the book to get home Friday.

Then there’s these new terms that have crept in over the years like:

‘Day Driver’-- What’s that then someone who can’t drive after their bedtime, someone who will not expect or even be prepared to sleep anywhere but their own bed.

‘Ran out of hours and had to be rescued’ – WT actual F, rescued from what exactly a zombie apocalypse, alien invasion, dry ■■■■■■■ from an escaped rhino or Lymm services loos. No these buggers have to be rescued from their own hysterical manginas.

It’s bad enough I had to VOR me truck last week coz the night heater broke, office went mental when I told them especially as I was at a Renault dealer with the cab tilted by then.
Any similar ■■■■■■■ with Renault T cabs that have night heater issues there’s a little trick involving pulling fuse F69 and counting to 4 then reinserting that resets the interlocks…

Might do a thread on it as it’s supposed to be a dealer secret.

Dipper_Dave:
It’s the whole ‘unplanned night out, was the final straw’ thing I’m struggling with (or maybe im just stirring).

It’s a given in this job (class 1) whether on day work or not there’s a probability one may find themselves stuck out. If you take a job and are told youl be home every night even that I would expect a night out once in a blue moon.
Occasional nights out translates to 1 or 2 a week possibly 3 and ‘tramping’ = out all week and pulling every trick in the book to get home Friday.

‘Day Driver’-- What’s that then someone who can’t drive after their bedtime, someone who will not expect or even be prepared to sleep anywhere but their own bed.

‘Ran out of hours and had to be rescued’ – WT actual F, rescued from what exactly a zombie apocalypse, alien invasion, dry ■■■■■■■ from an escaped rhino or Lymm services loos. No these buggers have to be rescued from their own hysterical manginas.

It’s bad enough I had to VOR me truck last week coz the night heater broke, office went mental when I told them especially as I was at a Renault dealer with the cab tilted by then.
Any similar ■■■■■■■ with Renault T cabs that have night heater issues there’s a little trick involving pulling fuse F69 and counting to 4 then reinserting that resets the interlocks…

There’s a difference to unplanned night out and being a tramper. I always carry a kit to enable a comfortable night even on a short day run. The planner was treating the op with contempt by planning a night out without checking. All jobs work better with communication BOTH ways. If the planner kept asking day after day then the op could say " look chum I don’t want to be out every night so I’m going to look for something else" The planner knew in the morning what he had in store. A big difference from a delay or breakdown or failed deliver etc etc.
If you sign up as a tramper different story.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

commonrail:

Freight Dog:

commonrail:

What’s triggered?

Wound up

Ah never heard that before. No, not. It’s responding. Sorry despite your attempt :laughing:

It’s an Americanism… I believe

commonrail:
It’s an Americanism… I believe

Ah that explains it. I thought it sounded like something the yank kids would say :laughing:

P Stoff:

Dipper_Dave:

There’s a difference to unplanned night out and being a tramper. I always carry a kit to enable a comfortable night even on a short day run. The planner was treating the op with contempt by planning a night out without checking. All jobs work better with communication BOTH ways. If the planner kept asking day after day then the op could say " look chum I don’t want to be out every night so I’m going to look for something else" The planner knew in the morning what he had in store. A big difference from a delay or breakdown or failed deliver etc etc.

I get that bit honest, but surely it’s standard that drivers are given the ‘mushroom treatment’ by a lot of planners (not all though). Sometimes telling a driver and things change can be worse. In this case it looks like problems at Concorde logistics that added to the issues although it’s likely a night out was on the cards anyway.

We all have our own limits but mine is more general taking the ■■■■ with poor pay than an unexpected night out.

My lot for example love to drip feed us info, it’s hopeless some days as you have to constantly ring up only to be faced with a different planner who isn’t sure what the first ones arranged.

Worked in me favour nicely yesterday as I was planned for a third job, just on the cusp of refusing due to short on hours when I rang in for details, the planner on the phone knew nothing about it so I sat in the yard for an hour then went home. Expecting hysterics Monday hopefully.

Course it’s a good idea to battle through for 2 years at a job that’s OK till full employment rights kick in.

To gain experience some will have to face a load of crap others will have an easy run but to obtain a class 1 licence and not want to do nights out whether planned/unplanned/unexpected/uninformed is crazy, imho.

Dipper_Dave:

P Stoff:

Dipper_Dave:

I get that bit honest, but surely it’s standard that drivers are given the ‘mushroom treatment’ by a lot of planners (not all though). Sometimes telling a driver and things change can be worse. In this case it looks like problems at Concorde logistics that added to the issues although it’s likely a night out was on the cards anyway.

We all have our own limits but mine is more general taking the ■■■■ with poor pay than an unexpected night out.

My lot for example love to drip feed us info, it’s hopeless some days as you have to constantly ring up only to be faced with a different planner who isn’t sure what the first ones arranged.

Worked in me favour nicely yesterday as I was planned for a third job, just on the cusp of refusing due to short on hours when I rang in for details, the planner on the phone knew nothing about it so I sat in the yard for an hour then went home. Expecting hysterics Monday hopefully.

Course it’s a good idea to battle through for 2 years at a job that’s OK till full employment rights kick in.

To gain experience some will have to face a load of crap others will have an easy run but to obtain a class 1 licence and not want to do nights out whether planned/unplanned/unexpected/uninformed is crazy, imho.

The trouble is that the more drivers that keep eating proverbial the longer it continues. Poor pay and conditions. I have just finished five months of beet on class 1. Not a bad job but full on. A customer who I have done holiday cover for rang me as he had taken a driver on and was useless. In 2.5 days he peed off staff and customers. He asked me if I wanted the job. It’s 7.5t. I said I would, but not enough hours for me to earn enough a week. He asked me what I need to earn. I was honest and he said he would pay that no matter the hours. It was worth it to him for no hassle and proper job done. So this week I earned the same as last week by doing 34 hours instead of 55. In fairness to him it’s his own product and not general haulage. It lasts about 15 weeks. More companies need to adopt this. In return he has no hassle, I have changed a few things for him to make him more vosa friendly and made him aware of some mistakes he’s making. Everybody wins and after one week he’s asking whether we could make this a yearly thing for the season.

P Stoff:

Dipper_Dave:

P Stoff:

Dipper_Dave:

The trouble is that the more drivers that keep eating proverbial the longer it continues. Poor pay and conditions. I have just finished five months of beet on class 1. Not a bad job but full on. A customer who I have done holiday cover for rang me as he had taken a driver on and was useless. In 2.5 days he peed off staff and customers. He asked me if I wanted the job. It’s 7.5t. I said I would, but not enough hours for me to earn enough a week. He asked me what I need to earn. I was honest and he said he would pay that no matter the hours. It was worth it to him for no hassle and proper job done. So this week I earned the same as last week by doing 34 hours instead of 55. In fairness to him it’s his own product and not general haulage. It lasts about 15 weeks. More companies need to adopt this. In return he has no hassle, I have changed a few things for him to make him more vosa friendly and made him aware of some mistakes he’s making. Everybody wins and after one week he’s asking whether we could make this a yearly thing for the season.

Nah…crap deal. If you’re offering " a proper job, done with no hassle ", you could have at least stuck out for a seat on the board and a company car. :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

Regards. John.

old 67:

P Stoff:

Dipper_Dave:

P Stoff:

Dipper_Dave:

Nah…crap deal. If you’re offering " a proper job, done with no hassle ", you could have at least stuck out for a seat on the board and a company car. :wink: [emoji38] [emoji38]

Regards. John.

That’s to be phased in over 18 months ;0)

That’s to be phased in over 18 months ;0)

Ah…I see. I knew there had to be more to it, especially when you were good enough to tell him about the mistakes he was making !! :wink:

Regards. John.

Redrum:
Hello again, if any of you have read my last thread you’ll know I’ve been unhappy in work for the past couple of weeks, most of which I think is down to my employer. There’ve been a few occasions (as stated in the last thread) I think I’ve been taken advantage of and subject to general underhanded-ness. Anyway here’s what happened last night and the straw that broke the camels back.

I’d agreed to stay out Tuesday night on the way down to Alresford to deliver some new machines to the salad plant down there. I don’t mind staying out the odd night if I’m needed and I know in advance. Before heading off I’d been told ‘Ring me when your empty and I’ll find you a load to bring back home’ which I thought was fair enough. I rang the office back after I’d been tipped at 9am yesterday morning and was told ‘Theres a load up here in lutterworth here are the details…’ which was no problem. I’d go pick the load up on the way back and run it into the yard.
After a complete balls up at the logistics company handling Harveys furniture in Magna park (which wasn’t the fault of my gaffer and I had kept him informed) I hadn’t finished being loaded until 4:15pm. They hadn’t given me any paperwork with the load so I’d rang the boss to ask if i needed any and this is where it got interesting.

Me: Do we need paperwork for this load? I haven’t been given any
Him: No it’ll be ok, you know where it’s going don’t you?
Me: Back to the yard?
Him: No you’re taking it down to Croyden
Me: I’m taking it down to Croyden?
Him: Yes, head there now
Me: Ok then give me the address

As he started to reel off the address I thought [zb] it, if I start doing unplanned nights out at the drop of a hat there’s going to be no end it it. I’m employed as a day driver, last week I did two nights now he wants me to do atleast another two week. How long before he’s got me tramping 4 nights?

Me: Hang on a minute, when did you know I’d be taking it to Croyden and staying out again tonight?
Him: Since 9 o’clock this morning
Me: And you didn’t think to tell me all day?
Him: What difference does it make?
Me: I’ve got plans, I’ve got no supplies with me, If you’d have let me know I could stopped at a shop. You’ve given me zero notice. You said I’d be home today
Him: That’s the job
Me: That’s not the job, I’m a day driver

At this point I’d completely had it. He’d dropped this on me at this time of the day because he thought I wouldn’t be able to say no, whereas if he’d have told me in the morning when he knew (and failing to mention it the other 3 times I’d spoken to him during the day) I’d have said no.

Me: Infact I’m not taking it. I’m heading back to the yard
Him: I’ll see that as you failing to carry out a basic instruction and not doing your job
Me: My jobs not doing nights out at your disposal with zero notice. Still no
Him: If you do that, that’s it
Me: Ok, that’s fine
Him: You’re going to cost me money. If you do that then this is the end
Me: Yeah like it say, that’s fine. I’m sure I won’t struggle to find employment elsewhere
Him: All the best
Me: Gotta go, need to get this load back. hung up

Anyway, I drove back to the yard as I always do, didn’t do anything stupid or rash and decided to leave with some dignity. Unloaded all of my belongings and said bye to some of the lads. I headed into the office where said employer was sat and he didn’t say a word to me while I did my paperwork. Just before I was ready to leave I told him what I thought, I wasn’t malicious, I didn’t swear or shout and all he had to say was ‘You knew there’d be some unplanned nights out when you got stuck’ I replied with ‘I wasn’t stuck out of hours today, you planned it since this morning and assumed I’d just do it’. The last thing he said to me was ‘I didn’t get the impression you’d be here that long anyway. If you’re such a great driver I’m sure you’ll get a better job elsewhere’ and I thought that just about summed him up. I’d given him 7 months good service, never had a sick day, did the job to the best of my ability until the end and that’s all he had to say. It shows what sort of a person he is.

I’m sure I could contest it if I wanted. I have no contract but I’m fairly sure I should’ve been given one after 3 months service. I had no verbal warning, no written warning, just an ultimatum. I’m just glad to be out of there it had been building up for a while. If anybodies considering working for a firm in Wellington, Telford that pulls curtainsiders I’d reconsider.

Unfortunately that’s a story that hundreds of driver’s could be telling up and down the country and even when you stand your ground your just a trouble causer ,
Good look finding new work but you probably have to stand your ground again that’s the way it is in transport now can’t wait to retire ( 12 yrs lol).

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Dipper_Dave:

It’s a given in this job (class 1) whether on day work or not there’s a probability one may find themselves stuck out.

It’s simply never happened on day work. If it gets late in the day, then I make my way back to base, it’s as simple as that.

Indeed. Most employers seem to understand the notion, but I do seem to recall someone in the past (I can’t remember who or where) being surprised that, being employed as a day driver, I didn’t carry any night-out gear or supplies!

Rjan:

Dipper_Dave:

It’s a given in this job (class 1) whether on day work or not there’s a probability one may find themselves stuck out.

It’s simply never happened on day work. If it gets late in the day, then I make my way back to base, it’s as simple as that.

Indeed. Most employers seem to understand the notion, but I do seem to recall someone in the past (I can’t remember who or where) being surprised that, being employed as a day driver, I didn’t carry any night-out gear or supplies!

I always took basic kit even on a day run. Just in case of a breakdown, it did happen