I quit

Got to agree.
When you tell your gaffer you’re up for a few nights out,do you really expect a full days notice?

Dipper_Dave:
Sorry, I really have to apologise for what follows in this post as no offence is intended but I can’t sit by and read this [zb] for much longer.

Look you choose HGV driving as your profession even took the step to class 1 where distance work is a given, you ain’t on multi drop now Dorothy.

So your gaffer wanted you to do another night out, so what he will pay you for it, forget about how things should work, poop happens and any driver worth their salt will adapt.
Yes he was a bit out of order not nurse maiding you early doors but so what your job is to drive thus profiting the company securing your and your fellow employees jobs.

Boo hoo another night out was unacceptable and you did the right thing for you to leave but I can guarantee there’s umpteen drivers in waiting of varying skill levels ready to fill your boots.

So it works both ways, you’ve hit your limit of 2 nights out on the trot and you’ve left for pastures new, just maybe your previous employer may look for more flexible drivers or be more open about what’s expected at the interview, but I doubt it.

Maybe it’s a sign of the times but surely any potential driver considering this profession should be flexible enough for a few nights out. Even back in the day when I was what would be considered a ‘day driver’ (wtf sort of snowflake job description is that) it was a given I would be expected to do a few nights out here and there and them where the days of frisby tachos.

So perhaps trolley dolloying is your best route to follow from now on.

Anyway sorry to give my true opinion but this forum is in danger of becoming as bland as the admins virtual personality, talk about one extreme to another.

Oh yes I can always go elsewhere but I can’t stand by and watch a once exciting dare I say controversial forum bend over and become a shadow of what it once was.

I’m doing my class 1 next month and if someone pulled this sort of stunt on my they would find their vehicle abandoned and me sleeping in my bed.

Driving a bigger vehicle that bends doesn’t mean he needs to bend over and accept it. If his boss needed a night out he should employ someone to do that and not assume people will just accept it as ‘part of the job’.

Dipper_Dave:
Sorry, I really have to apologise for what follows in this post as no offence is intended but I can’t sit by and read this [zb] for much longer.

Look you choose HGV driving as your profession even took the step to class 1 where distance work is a given, you ain’t on multi drop now Dorothy.

So your gaffer wanted you to do another night out, so what he will pay you for it, forget about how things should work, poop happens and any driver worth their salt will adapt.
Yes he was a bit out of order not nurse maiding you early doors but so what your job is to drive thus profiting the company securing your and your fellow employees jobs.

Boo hoo another night out was unacceptable and you did the right thing for you to leave but I can guarantee there’s umpteen drivers in waiting of varying skill levels ready to fill your boots.

So it works both ways, you’ve hit your limit of 2 nights out on the trot and you’ve left for pastures new, just maybe your previous employer may look for more flexible drivers or be more open about what’s expected at the interview, but I doubt it.

Maybe it’s a sign of the times but surely any potential driver considering this profession should be flexible enough for a few nights out. Even back in the day when I was what would be considered a ‘day driver’ (wtf sort of snowflake job description is that) it was a given I would be expected to do a few nights out here and there and them where the days of frisby tachos.

Anyway sorry to give my true opinion but this forum is in danger of becoming as bland as the admins virtual personality, talk about one extreme to another.

Oh yes I can always go elsewhere but I can’t stand by and watch a once exciting dare I say controversial forum bend over and become a shadow of what it once was.

We all have to be flexible as you say its the job but its not the 1960 70 or 80 times have changed
Its mostly now how you are treated in this day and age and both given a bit of flexibility and up front with requests
This guy was walking even before this happened it was just the icen on the cake
Is there not enough people working for cowboys and buttons plus they never stick up for themselves and get stick here for it and then this guy comes along and sticks up for himself and sticks to his guns and you give it to him in spades
People should stop living in the past you don’t have to put up with cowboys anymore even with that stupid attitude, (it pays your wages) it’s all in the past

sammym:

Dipper_Dave:

I’m doing my class 1 next month and if someone pulled this sort of stunt on my they would find their vehicle abandoned and me sleeping in my bed.

Driving a bigger vehicle that bends doesn’t mean he needs to bend over and accept it. If his boss needed a night out he should employ someone to do that and not assume people will just accept it as ‘part of the job’.

Best of luck and each to their own etc.

Looking forward already to your future threads… :wink:

I don’t see why people are turning this on it’s head, yes nights out happen, but the main point is his boss knew from the get go it was a night out, and the OP had already nighted out the previous night, the least you can expect is the be brought back to base and not shafted with ANOTHER night out.

It’s one thing doing the occasional night out when needs must, but when the boss fails to mention at 9am that it’s another night out, that is taking the ■■■■, especially when the OP said he is a DAY driver. If the boss wanted a tramper he should have employed one, plain and simple. The fact the OP was willing to do the occasional night out, the boss should be happy with that as it’s someone he could have called on when needs must.

Sounds like a ■■■■ firm to work for, you are better off out of there. Good luck with the job hunt/new job should you have one lined up.

Dipper_Dave:

All nice but what’s the end bit of that got to do with the OP or is it a general rant? :laughing:

I knew it was too good to last. Here we go down the you’re not a driver unless you spit diesel, work 90 hours and live on grease and chips you’re a no one.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

P Stoff:
I knew it was too good to last. Here we go down the you’re not a driver unless you spit diesel, work 90 hours and live on grease and chips you’re a no one.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Real drivers have ‘HGV Positive’ tattoos as a warning to people that the trucks come first :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Freight Dog:

Dipper_Dave:

All nice but what’s the end bit of that got to do with the OP or is it a general rant? [emoji38]

:slight_smile:
Spot on just a general rant.

2 years ago this thread would have took a different direction.
Quitting job due to unexpected night out, you couldn’t make it up.

Redrum:
Hello again, if any of you have read my last thread you’ll know I’ve been unhappy in work for the past couple of weeks, most of which I think is down to my employer. There’ve been a few occasions (as stated in the last thread) I think I’ve been taken advantage of and subject to general underhanded-ness. Anyway here’s what happened last night and the straw that broke the camels back.

I’d agreed to stay out Tuesday night on the way down to Alresford to deliver some new machines to the salad plant down there. I don’t mind staying out the odd night if I’m needed and I know in advance. Before heading off I’d been told ‘Ring me when your empty and I’ll find you a load to bring back home’ which I thought was fair enough. I rang the office back after I’d been tipped at 9am yesterday morning and was told ‘Theres a load up here in lutterworth here are the details…’ which was no problem. I’d go pick the load up on the way back and run it into the yard.
After a complete balls up at the logistics company handling Harveys furniture in Magna park (which wasn’t the fault of my gaffer and I had kept him informed) I hadn’t finished being loaded until 4:15pm. They hadn’t given me any paperwork with the load so I’d rang the boss to ask if i needed any and this is where it got interesting.

Me: Do we need paperwork for this load? I haven’t been given any
Him: No it’ll be ok, you know where it’s going don’t you?
Me: Back to the yard?
Him: No you’re taking it down to Croyden
Me: I’m taking it down to Croyden?
Him: Yes, head there now
Me: Ok then give me the address

As he started to reel off the address I thought [zb] it, if I start doing unplanned nights out at the drop of a hat there’s going to be no end it it. I’m employed as a day driver, last week I did two nights now he wants me to do atleast another two week. How long before he’s got me tramping 4 nights?

Me: Hang on a minute, when did you know I’d be taking it to Croyden and staying out again tonight?
Him: Since 9 o’clock this morning
Me: And you didn’t think to tell me all day?
Him: What difference does it make?
Me: I’ve got plans, I’ve got no supplies with me, If you’d have let me know I could stopped at a shop. You’ve given me zero notice. You said I’d be home today
Him: That’s the job
Me: That’s not the job, I’m a day driver

At this point I’d completely had it. He’d dropped this on me at this time of the day because he thought I wouldn’t be able to say no, whereas if he’d have told me in the morning when he knew (and failing to mention it the other 3 times I’d spoken to him during the day) I’d have said no.

Me: Infact I’m not taking it. I’m heading back to the yard
Him: I’ll see that as you failing to carry out a basic instruction and not doing your job
Me: My jobs not doing nights out at your disposal with zero notice. Still no
Him: If you do that, that’s it
Me: Ok, that’s fine
Him: You’re going to cost me money. If you do that then this is the end
Me: Yeah like it say, that’s fine. I’m sure I won’t struggle to find employment elsewhere
Him: All the best
Me: Gotta go, need to get this load back. hung up

Anyway, I drove back to the yard as I always do, didn’t do anything stupid or rash and decided to leave with some dignity. Unloaded all of my belongings and said bye to some of the lads. I headed into the office where said employer was sat and he didn’t say a word to me while I did my paperwork. Just before I was ready to leave I told him what I thought, I wasn’t malicious, I didn’t swear or shout and all he had to say was ‘You knew there’d be some unplanned nights out when you got stuck’ I replied with ‘I wasn’t stuck out of hours today, you planned it since this morning and assumed I’d just do it’. The last thing he said to me was ‘I didn’t get the impression you’d be here that long anyway. If you’re such a great driver I’m sure you’ll get a better job elsewhere’ and I thought that just about summed him up. I’d given him 7 months good service, never had a sick day, did the job to the best of my ability until the end and that’s all he had to say. It shows what sort of a person he is.

I’m sure I could contest it if I wanted. I have no contract but I’m fairly sure I should’ve been given one after 3 months service. I had no verbal warning, no written warning, just an ultimatum. I’m just glad to be out of there it had been building up for a while. If anybodies considering working for a firm in Wellington, Telford that pulls curtainsiders I’d reconsider.

Good for you, there are a lot of people out there who would not have the balls to stick up for themselves that’s what’s wrong with this job any ■■■■■■ can do it
There is nothing professional about this job it’s a bit of paper any waster can get
It’s the person who is professional and there is a lot of unprofessional people in this job and they are the ones without a brain or the gift of speech hilter would have loved them because they follow the pack
Things mostly happen for a reason
Good luck in your next job

Dipper_Dave:

TiredAndEmotional:
Wow…consensus on Trucknet…well done Redrum! :open_mouth: :grimacing:

It is a shocker, sure there should be a private area for hardened members where we can all tell the truth… :wink:

^^^^^^^^^
there is…its called the bogs at lymm services.
pick your cubicle or form a circle, :slight_smile:

I quit the transporters when i had a third night out forced on me (agreement of two a week max), presumably i’m a snowflake too, and yes that was the reason at the time but in fact similar to the OP it was simply the final straw that broke this camels back.
Because we were in a downturn, the new management thought they could walk all over people and up to a point they did, mainly with those who had indebted themselves (as those in high earning jobs sometimes do), and no doubt are still doing so as the same motley crew are still at it under another brand name…be interesting to see if their current financers lose as much as the last lot when it all goes ■■■■ up once more :bulb:

Best thing i ever did as it turns out, that was some 9 years ago, since then i’ve had one night out due to an unforseen delay on my current job which is the best i’ve had overall, and since then my average earnings for every hour worked are higher than i could get on the cars, plus i have a life again.

If you go to a car dealer and sign up for an Avensis, you don’t just shrug your shoulders and put a brave face on when the dealer hands you the keys to a poxy Passat do you.

There comes a point where being reasonable and bending over backwards has to stop, i think our OP was being reasonable and the company’s planner wasn’t, simple as, i won’t call this planning monkey a TM because he doesn’t sound like he deserves the title.

To me the thing revolves around honesty , being honest from both sides generally gets the job sorted without too much ill feeling .
People only get to lie to me once .
Holding back information all day is deceitful and shows a total lack of any respect .
Sadly many in the transport game are so lacking even in self respect let alone honesty that until drivers get their act together and actually behave in professional manner things won’t change .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Whenever I Did "as and when"some weeks you did 3…some weeks you did 0.
I went with the flo

beefy4605:
The point I was making was the story changes -
I’ve got plans - well if you have plans your going home
I’ve got no supplies with me, If you’d have let me know I could stopped at a shop. If your stopping at a shop then you have no plans .

Is it not reasonable to think that he’s making three separate objections?

The first, that he had plans which are perfectly reasonable to make as a day driver, for which the employer is showing no consideration. The second, that he was given no notice to rearrange those plans - so that other people (the wife, kids, friends, etc.) may have been let down at the last minute. The third, that even if he had been willing to sacrifice his plans, he had been caused additional hardship by being given no opportunity to prepare for the night out by getting supplies in the normal course of the day.

To which I might add the implicit fourth objection, that his employer was behaving in bad faith (“in a way calculated to undermine trust and confidence”, in the jargon), either by fabricating the lie that the plans were already established and settled so as to additionally, and falsely, raise the perceived stakes of any refusal, or in any case by reserving the information until so late in the day that maximum damage would be inflicted on the employee’s leisure plans or home life.

There is no contradiction amongst these objections.

Redrum:

I’m sure I could contest it if I wanted. I have no contract but I’m fairly sure I should’ve been given one after 3 months service. I had no verbal warning, no written warning, just an ultimatum. I’m just glad to be out of there it had been building up for a while. If anybodies considering working for a firm in Wellington, Telford that pulls curtainsiders I’d reconsider.

Isn’t it law that you must be given a contract of employment before starting work for any country, if you go to court with this you have a dam good chance. By the way well done for standing up for yourself.

Dipper_Dave:
So perhaps trolley dolloying is your best route to follow from now on…

^^
Mm. My misses would most definitely have something to say about that, she is an air hostess. Things they deal with are most definitely not snowflake. Puke, ■■■■ up the walls in toilets, people puking on her. People handing her bags of puke. Perverts trying to touch her up. Fights on board. Keeping someone alive having a heart attack until they could land. Person last week had a serious illness and it was flying out all ends. She’s been on board dealing with 80 hysterical passengers when the aircraft had a hold fire. All for peanut pay and public derision about their role on board.

And they do no notice “nights out”.

Lorrying easy peasy by comparison. So not a good alternative

Dipper_Dave:

And he says he has been employed expressly as a day driver. By any reckoning, that does not involve the right of the employer to plan nights out under any circumstances - except by prior agreement, of course.

Maybe there is, but if that is the case why didn’t the employer simply hire those others as night-out men? And how would it explain the manner of the employer’s behaviour in withholding the information all day, if the employer was simply acting in accordance with their mutual understanding of the arrangement?

Maybe it’s a sign of the times but surely any potential driver considering this profession should be flexible enough for a few nights out.

I generally decline work with nights-out because there’s just not enough compensation for it in any respect (whether in money or amenity). I suppose some guys like being down the road and sleeping in their cab on principle, but all other things being equal I’d rather not.

Freight Dog:

Dipper_Dave:
So perhaps trolley dolloying is your best route to follow from now on…

^^
Mm. My misses would most definitely have something to say about that, she is an air hostess. Things they deal with are most definitely not snowflake. Puke, [zb] up the walls in toilets, people puking on her. People handing her bags of puke. Perverts trying to touch her up. Fights on board. Keeping someone alive having a heart attack until they could land. Person last week had a serious illness and it was flying out all ends. She’s been on board dealing with 80 hysterical passengers when the aircraft had a hold fire. All for peanut pay and public derision about their role on board.

And they do no notice “nights out”.

Lorrying easy peasy by comparison. So not a good alternative

“Trolly Dollying” means supermarket work.

IE. Turn up at your set start time (max an hour either side), sit in the brew room, sign a few new risk assessments, get given a run, refuse it because it’ll take you over 8 hours, that run then gets given to agency, get another run thats to your satisfaction, walk to unit with high vis vest zipped up strictly following the painted walkway, VOR unit because a bulbs out, get allocated another unit, find some grease on step so fill out a “near miss” form, carry out checks, get trailer, carry out more checks, H&S bod has a word in your ear because you missed a step when alighting the cat walk, leave yard with high vis still on, religiously observe all speed limits and do 48mph on the motorway, arrive at delivery, initially refuse to back on bay because yard isn’t as per risk assessment, tip, reload empties, toss it off on the service road behind the shop for a bit, return to depot, refuse second run because it’ll take you over 8 hours, attend investigation for missing step on catwalk earlier, drink coffee, clock out, go home. Rinse & repeat.

Obviously you’re triggered.