I-pod to truck

I know there is a technical forum (b4 any over enthuastic moderator moves this)but this is a general question.

If i want to connect my i-pod to my truck stereo whats the way to do it? I know there is a thingy that connects thru a radio frequency but im told its crap.
My stereo has an “EXT” option but theres no connections round the back.

The stereo is the standard Mercedes truckline blah/blah/blah,its a good enough stereo and it connects to the steering wheel buttons so i dont want to change it,

Anybody able to help?

is there a small jack socket omn the front?
is it a cd or tape deck ?

its a cd nick and theres no jack at the front either.

I have a radio frequency gismo from Belkin.

It was about 30 quid and works fine, the only problem is when you turn off the radio you have to retune it.

If you use playlists or set the on the go mode, you can still use the steering wheel controls and volume button.

off hand whats the radio type ie style mb3309 sort of thing??

nick2008:
off hand whats the radio type ie style mb3309 sort of thing??

i think its truckline 70.

E D you have pm

Nick i am very grateful for your help,thankyou very much and a happy new year to you.

Note for E D…

I didnt understand it either :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Sometimes its just writen in the software in the radio

According to the audio manual there is an external input for TV etc on the Actros radio. I asked our local dealer/supplier for details of which socket it had, and where was it. They could not answer and would not remove the radio for me to have a look. This now applies to 3 units dating back to 2004.
As a result I use a couple of different FM transmitters (available for a few quid these days) and have a few preset frequencies set on the radio. You do not need to re-tune if you store the frequencies. If you get a transmitter with a 12volt adapter, don’t use it - the interference is unbearable. Use batteries and get a battery charger! You may need to change frequencies depending where you are, but it usually works well enough.

Just got back from being sound engineer for a gig with 4 local bands (my lad plays in one of them) and 35 yrs in the music biz. - I’ve got an idea what I’m doing with audio equipment :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

I’m always jumping into different motors so I use an FM transmitter, the Podgear v2 similar to this and it plugs into the ■■■ socket.

amazon.co.uk/Gear4-PodGear-C … B0007OKRPW

I bought mine about 4 years ago, when they were illegal and it is very high-powered. :sunglasses:

It can tune into any FM frequency and has a range of about 1 mile and has enough power to blow the windows out of any FM station. I got a mate to test this one night when we were running together. :sunglasses:

The FM route is probably the only one to go for, if the standard unit is a cheap one its unlikely to have anything ■■■■ to plug into. I have a iPod lead in the car. I have a box with plugs into the CD changer option socket, the stereo sees the iPod as a CD changer. I don’t have a CD changer in the car, comes as standard on the next model up, just have the normal single CD in the head unit, so if the stereo you have as a CD changer button there might be some possibilities.

When I was doing agency work last year in different trucks I had an FM transmitter and it worked fine with either an iPod or a Tom Tom 720

nick2008:
Note for E D…

I didnt understand it either :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Well i think it means that if i take the radio out and look around the back where the wiring loom connects up and follow his diagram jack 9 and 10 are the “EXT” connections so, if i connect to them and select “EXT” on the radio… then hey presto thats the i-pod.

Be great if thats the case.

ellies dad:

nick2008:
Note for E D…

Well i think it means that if i take the radio out and look around the back where the wiring loom connects up and follow his diagram jack 9 and 10 are the “EXT” connections so, if i connect to them and select “EXT” on the radio… then hey presto thats the i-pod.

Be great if thats the case.

Yeah ok ED but your gonna have to have a jack plug socket to plug the I-Pod into!!!

heres the fm transmiter i use

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=225117

24.99 fae maplins

i carry a selections of pen drives with various types of music on them

great tool
and no problems with reception

i have one that plugs into headfone socket on any device and transmits to radio,runs off 2 aaa batteries which last awhile. cost was less than £6 from toddington services.

gezt:
i have one that plugs into headfone socket on any device and transmits to radio,runs off 2 aaa batteries which last awhile. cost was less than £6 from toddington services.

I’ve got one, similar to this.
Plugs into any headphone socket and transmits on any frequency you like, (it’ll plug into my laptop earphone socket, so I can get decent sound when watching DVD’s too).
It was £7 ish off fleabay.