I passed my c+e test

OMG OMG

OMG indeed peeps. What a rush, thrill, blast, belting day in fact.

Today started badly as I tried to get an early night (yes), tried to sleep (not a lot), woke before my alarm (way too early before it). Got to Lancaster Training Services yard for 07.30 and think happy calm thoughts. Met Dave who was going to be my instructor for the duration, nice man. His manor puts you at ease, plus he’s just come back from his hols where me and the wife go for ours :cry: :cry:

Out to the truck a 420 Scania with 40ft trailer and a 3 over 3 with splitter, only driven one once for around 1 hour on a motorway. Walk round checks carried out and of we went with Dave driving to show me what its like/ how its done. After a stop for a brew outside of Garstang it was my turn at the helm. Left turn out of the lay by (had doubts about left turns, kept me awake last night), no probs. Headed off round the area getting to grips with the whole thing, felt pretty good in fact, no bum clenching moments yet. We just kept chugging along going where I was directed to go (not quite sure where we went), but we finally came to an industrial park with a Mac D’s by it. Time for lunch, but not quite as Dave had me turn the rig around by reversing in to a dead end which have cars and vans around it :unamused: (didn’t think the reversing was going to be done till we were at the yard, baptism of fire or what). Well I surprised both myself and Dave as I nailed it first time, not even a scratch or anything, now it was time to eat.

Food finished and out on to the queens highway again. On towards Lytham I think and round near Kirkham. From here we headed back towards Lancaster and the lovely one way system their. Only stalled it twice at the same set of lights as I forgot I was in high box not low (felt such a nugget). After this we arrived back at the yard to practice the reversing in a straight line (nailed it), and the reverse exercise twice. Each time I had to take a shunt, but was happy with that. To end the day I had to uncouple and re-couple the unit, no major concerns their.

Time for a debrief from Dave. It appears that I’m going to make his week easy as I seem to have a good grasp of what is needed with only a couple of minor points to improve on. That makes me one very happy chap indeed, till tomorrow.

Over all the day could not of gone any better than it did. :grimacing: :grimacing:

Well done mate. :slight_smile:

Good on you bud, keep up the good work. :sunglasses:

Keep them positive thoughts and you’ll fly through.

G

Sounds like you have taken to it like a duck to water keep up the good work and you will hold that lovely blue certificate in ya hands great stuff

Jx

Excellent first day mate. You should be proud to have accomplished so much in the first day.

Looking forward to the next few days diary and a great result at the end.

Best of luck.

Dean

DAY 2

After the usual walk round checks etc it was straight in to the reversing, but to the new dims that will be in operation from Monday. First attempt required a shunt, second go was straight in no messing :smiley: , job done. Uncouple/ couple was carried out twice with no issues although Dave did rush me on the second as this can happen if it is raining so the examiner won’t want to get wet he explained, another tick in the box.

Out on the road round Lancaster, Preston and Kirkam and no issues to talk about. We talked about the minor problems from yesterday and while we were out I worked on them. It went better than yesterday did my time in the Scania today. Very happy indeed :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

A weekend off and can’t wait for Monday to come.

DAY 3

Usual checks done and out of the yard heading towards Carnforth and on to the M6 heading south to the Garstang junction and down to Kirkham. We headed to the test center to look at the new paint layout that has just been laid in line with the new width and length requirements that came in to operation today. Lunch at the test center and then a reversing exercise to get turned around by the test center in the small industrial estate next door, no real issues with it :astonished: :astonished:

From Kirkham we headed down to Lytham and Blackpool. I have been on some of these roads when I did my class C back in May last year. This time around they seemed to be fairly straight forward unlike last time in the rigid. Anything that Dave asked me to do today was achieved with no real drama’s :smiley:. After some interesting corners that I’ve never seen before the only issue was scrubbing the N/S rear along a couple of curbs.

Out in to the countryside and some bumpy and twisty roads heading back towards Heysham port where once back at the yard I carried out a couple of uncouple’s/ coupling exercises. Then it was time to reverse the trailer in to its parking bay uncouple and reverse the Scania in to the workshop for some night time maintenance work ready for the morning.

DAY 4

Last day before D- DAY I guess. Well it was only a half day as regards to driving on the roads as this afternoon we spent it at the yard on uncouple/ coupling and reversing. It appears that the new dims for the reversing area have caused some problems around the country as C+E drivers can’t apparently reverse in this area with the cone (A, A1) on the yellow line. So the DSA has now decided today that both A, A1 cones are to move over a meter from the yellow line.

We had spent from 12.30 till approx 15.30 reversing with the cone on the line and YES IT CAN BE DONE (cos I’ve done it a number of times). Yes it was very tight but it was possible. Now the cone is a meter from the yellow line it gives more room to turn the unit in order to swing the trailer round. Although once past the B-cone you have to get the trailer lined up with the garage/ loading bay area. Should a shunt be required then there is still enough room to re-position yourself ready to reverse in the garage/ loading bay area. I know this for a fact as we’ve a number of scenarios to see what can be done. :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

The driving today was via Kirkham to Preston and back round to Heysham to LTS HQ. Very happy with how things went and so was David (No. 2) as my normal instructor was on a course. He will be back for the big day though. :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Wish you all the best for tomorow, go for it !! :smiley: :smiley: :sunglasses:

Good luck for tomorrow!!

Thought it was always set in 1 mtr for + E cat vehicles, i,e C+E, D+E. :question:

Thought it was always set in 1 mtr for + E cat vehicles, i,e C+E, D+E

That’s correct. Sounds to me that the instructor slipped up and is giving some bull to cover himself! But nothing lost in this case as it’s been put right.

All the best to the OP. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

All the best of luck for today mate. As strange as it sounds turn in to a show off for a couple of hours and enjoy it!!!

Best of luck fella keeping everything crossed

jx

TEST DAY

Well what a start to the day. Could I park the thing in the garage on the reversing exercise, could I heck as like as all I could do was to take a shunt and two on my final attempt :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: . It was no probs yesterday. So we tried the uncouple/ re-couple which I have to say went with out a hitch (no pun intended). The moment I was dreading was our trip down to Kirkham test center as the butterfly’s were going wild in my belly. The trip down there went very well indeed apart from a couple of silly mistakes that slipped in :blush: :blush: , not too bad though.

At the test center I was asked to walk out to the truck for the show me/ tell me, easy bit that.

Now came the uncouple/ re-couple, job done.

Next was the reversing exercise, well I only got it nailed in one, straight in :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

The inevitable had to happen and that was we set off on the drive in to Preston (:smiley: Happy Days). What ever the examiner asked I delivered and before I knew it we were going on to the motorway on our way back to the test center.
In to the test center we went (tricky junction due to bad corner close by) and pulled to a stop.

The moment of truth was up on me.

:exclamation:

The words were “I’m pleased to tell you that you have passed”

Only 3 minors to boot as well.

WHOOP, WHOOP, WHOOP indeed, all I need is to find a nice job so if anyone knows of anybody looking for a new C+E driver in ■■■■■■■■ Lancashire then I’m here :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Get in that man!! That’s a cracking result and it sounds like you’ve enjoyed the whole week. Good luck for the job search.

Congratulations matey go out an celebrate ,I had a hangover for 2 days after passing mine lol Well done

jx

Well done!!!

Well done. Congratulations on your pass.

Congratulations. Nice One :wink: