I need your help !

I’m trying to find a few things on the net:

1. A guide to all those little pictures and buttons that appear in the cab e.g. parking brake light, diff lock button, oil warning light, raise-rear-wheel-button, etc (1st time out in an OLD seddon last week and the dashboard may as well have been in klingon)

2. A picture of an O’license disc that goes in the truck - (how am I supposed to check it if I don’t know what it looks like?)

3. A guide to banksman signals. (for all I know, they’re having some form of fit)

4. An easy-peasy coupling and uncoupling guide (cos I’m doing my class 1)

Anyone know where I can find these?

Most are here on TruckNet! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

1 give mal a pm he knows the Seddon’s like the back of his hand maybe better!

2 they are 2 types of O’licence on trucks! I am sure someone will find a url that shows it! I will look for you tomorrow and hopefully report back! :smiley:

1. LOL… I have personaly only ever droped at one place where they use banksmen! and in truth they were as much use as …(place here anything that is totaly uselss!

4 TruckNet is the place for that once again the thing I always remember is to hook up start at the front and work your way back!! the opposite of the un-hook!
but TN does have good guides if you look!!

Dapper Scavenger:
I’m trying to find a few things on the net:

1. A guide to all those little pictures and buttons that appear in the cab e.g. parking brake light

A circle with lines to other sides like this:
(O)
With either a “P” or a “!” in the middle. If it’s a “!”, it doubles up as a brake warning light when the parking brake is off.

diff lock button

Looks like a rear axle. Two vertical lines on either side, joined by a horizontal line with a lump in the middle, e.g.
|-O-|

oil warning light

Looks like an oil can.

raise-rear-wheel-button

Horizontal line, with two circles below, one much higher than the other, e.g.

O
O

Disclaimer: these are just the ones I’ve seen in my (limited) experience. There might be other versions, and I might even be wrong… :blush:

Oops, that last one didn’t work. The first “O” should be indented a bit, and the second one should be indented a bit more.

For coupling, visit the FAQ’s forum. :slight_smile:

As regards Bankmen, search the H & S Executive site. They do a number of publications relating to the Transport Industry. For ‘one offs’, many are free and they will post to residential addresses. Driving at Work is one of them, along with some on Bankmen’s signals and Parking of Vehicles.

Just go the the site and choose as many as you think may be useful.

2 they are 2 types of O’licence on trucks! I am sure someone will find a url that shows it! I will look for you tomorrow and hopefully report back!

The 3 types of ‘O’ licence are as follows:

Restricted.(Orange) you can only carry goods you manufacture yourself.
Standard National.(Blue) Used for hire and reward within the UK only.
Standard International.(Green) Used for hire and reward within the EEC,including the UK.

For more information,try:

vosa.gov.uk/vosa/hgvpsvopera … ensing.htm

Ken.

Ooops forgot about international! :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :smiley:

Those H&E leaflets are great! Thanks for the linkage.

Right. I found myself pictures of a bunch of controls and switches. Some are obvious and some aren’t. Who’s gonna give it a shot?

Switches

1. Interior light in cab
  2. Looks like something to do with the radio sound system.
  3. Heated mirrors.
  4. Something to do with the brakes.
  5. Diff lock
  6. Say you don’t want to do anymore than 40mph but don’t want to use the cruise control. Accelerate to 40mph, press this switch in and it will stop you doing anymore than 40mph.
  7. Lift axle.
  8. ditto
  9. Diff lock
  10. ditto
  11. Air suspension level setting 1 & Air suspension level setting 2. If you want to set the air suspension at a particular level that isn’t the normal ride height, adjust it to the required level using the control pad usually down the side of the drivers seat and press the M1 or M2 button on it. When you next want to ‘work’ at that preset suspension level you just flick either side of that button as per M1 or M2 settings previously.
  12. Pass.
  13. In cab air recirculation or air circulation sourced from outside the cab. When the cab is cold and the window is steamed up, if you set it to in-cab recirculation you’ll find the windows demist much quicker.
  14. Heated seat or bed and the 2nd one is the same as the left hand one on no.13.
  15. Traction control ‘off’ button
  16. Is that a joke :question:

I would say 12 is some kind of retarder.

number 2 could be a reversing bleeper

Dapper Scavenger:
Those H&E leaflets are great! Thanks for the linkage.

H&E :confused: I mentioned the H&S site. H&E, otherwise known as ‘Health and Efficiency’ was a 1960’s top shelf publication largely featuring unclad females prancing about in volley ball poses.

Are we talking at cross-purposes here. :laughing:

P.S. I only know that because my father used to buy it. Honestly. :open_mouth:

lol typo, apparently,

could’ve been worse :stuck_out_tongue:

Rob K:
16. Is that a joke :question:

I nearly left in the symbol for the parking brake and hazard lights but I thought that really would be taking the biscuit!

Why so many different switches for the diff lock?

The diff lock was for an 8 wheeler, first diff locks both rear axles together and second diff locks wheels on the same axle together.

Number 5 is for the PTO (power take off)

Thought the PTO was your hiab switchy-over-thingie? What does it do?

Also, what is the difference between 7 and 8? The axle lift buttons.

Dapper Scavenger:

Dunno. Stop asking questions :grimacing:. When you start driving them you’ll find out what they all do then :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

7 is the air dump switch and 8 is the axle lift.

Press 7 when is a sticky situation and it dumps the air from the lift axle thus transfering more weight to the drive, giving more grip. Some only allow this for 30 secs then reset automaticlly, others you have to switch off.

Press 8 when empty and the lift axle will lift and stop there until you lower it.

Rob K:

Dapper Scavenger:

Dunno. Stop asking questions :grimacing:. When you start driving them you’ll find out what they all do then :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

BUT I might accidentally press the “eject driver” button!

The PTO is the Hiab thingy, it transfers the power from the engine to any auxilerys the tuck has fitted,such as a hiab or a blower unit etc.