I must be unlucky

So fresh from the debarcle of the M1 yesterday on my way to Carmarthen, (There’s lovely :laughing: ) on the way back today, I decided on a change, and thought that the M6 would be the way forward, so duly joined at Brum, and around Stafford the matrix signs lit up, “M6 closed J17-J18.”

WTF, I thought, and then my TT5150’s live services went into overdrive with similar messages, so I thought the best plan would be to have a break at Keele, and then hopefully by the time I got out, it would have all gone. WRONG!!!

2 hours later, I cleared the problem, and ended up back at Huddersfield on my 8 hours, when if it had have been ok, it would have been under 8, with the guaranteed.

Turned out a motor bike and a car collided, and the air ambulance was called.

However, I was amazed at the amount of ■■■■■■■ idiots that thought it was ok to travel up the hard shoulder with their hazards on, in order to jump the growing queue that everyone else was sat in, until I put in a 44 tonne roadblock. At one point a guy came up to me, tapped on my door, and said “I’m running out of petrol.” “Tough,” I said, “We’ve only just passed Keele, and you should have got some then, not my problem.” Later on near Knutsford, more were doing it, but after I had a swift word with the strong arm of the law, (The HATO’s :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: ) they were putting a stop to it themselves.

WTF is up with these idiots that think the hard shoulder is their private motorway? And where are the real Police when you need them?

Now I don’t really care if anyone on here slates me for doing it, nor if anyone who I stopped rings the agencies customer, at the end of the day the hard shoulder is for emergency use only and if you fail to grasp that, then do us all a favour, and surrender your licence.

Ken.

Know what you mean mate, but I reckon the Old Bill might take a dim view of you actually blocking the hard shoulder off, what if one of them was a Doctor in a plain car with no blues & twos for instance, maybe unlikely but still possible.
As you say it’s for emergencies and not for blocking off.

I’ve dealt with Doctors in motorsport, and they have to have a set of green lights when attending a scene, merely saying “I’m a doctor” is not enough.

Ken.

Quinny:
I’ve dealt with Doctors in motorsport, and they have to have a set of green lights when attending a scene, merely saying “I’m a doctor” is not enough.

Ken.

Ok, but how would you see the green light if you have blocked off the h/s and he is 10 or so cars down in the queue, I know it ■■■■■■ you (and me) off, but you or me have no right to become self appointed traffic marshalls…no offence just saying.

That’s where observation comes in.

If you see cars part like the red sea, then you move. Simples.

Ken.

Oh, well thats ok then!..Thanks for that lesson :neutral_face:

A month or so ago, I got caught up in the traffic on the southbound M66 near Nangreaves as a result of an RTA.
After a while the cops decided to turn the traffic (north of the junction) around and exit all off the on ramp to release the trapped traffic, however those who where already south of the on ramp where being left where they where while the traffic was cleared. However several car drivers south of the junction took it upon themselves to turn around and drive 500yds + the wrong way back up the hard shoulder. They unfortunately caught the eye of a traffic officer stood in front of my truck who promptly stopped them and pulled out his ticket book (honest Guv, it wasn`t me who pipped his horn, catching the coppers attention and pointed at the cars).

The real police were probably dealing with the actual accident that caused the delays in the first place. However irritating it is to see others abuse the H/S it’s not our job to enforce road laws.

robroy:
I reckon the Old Bill might take a dim view of you actually blocking the hard shoulder off…

+1

Not very proffesional is it, Ken?

Good for you Ken, if it wasnt for you blocking them, it would have been someone else, it really gets my goat when they use the hard shoulder as a 4th lane, and doesnt matter whether they stop the emergency services getting through or not. Of course the other thing is when a road is going from 3 lanes to 2 or 2 down to 1 theres always a few who have got to be in front, and it doesnt matter how many signs are out to warn them.GGrrr

Quinny:
However, I was amazed at the amount of [zb] idiots that thought it was ok to travel up the hard shoulder with their hazards on, in order to jump the growing queue that everyone else was sat in, until I put in a 44 tonne roadblock. At one point a guy came up to me, tapped on my door, and said “I’m running out of petrol.” “Tough,” I said, “We’ve only just passed Keele, and you should have got some then, not my problem.” Later on near Knutsford, more were doing it, but after I had a swift word with the strong arm of the law, (The HATO’s :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: ) they were putting a stop to it themselves.

WTF is up with these idiots that think the hard shoulder is their private motorway? And where are the real Police when you need them?

Now I don’t really care if anyone on here slates me for doing it, nor if anyone who I stopped rings the agencies customer, at the end of the day the hard shoulder is for emergency use only and if you fail to grasp that, then do us all a favour, and surrender your licence.

Ken.

Cos it has ■■■■ all to do with you. YOUR ONLY A trucker driver and nothing else.

If I was there and you blocked the H/S or any other lane for that matter. I would be uploading the HD footage to YOUTUBE with a link to your company.

Two wrongs don’t make a right :bulb:

Quinny:
at the end of the day the hard shoulder is for emergency use only and if you fail to grasp that, then do us all a favour, and surrender your licence.

So, it’s there so emergency vehicles can get through, as you say yourself. Before your stunt, they can. Then you create a car park in it. Is it safer for everyone before or after?

truckerjimbo:
Cos it has [zb] all to do with you. YOUR ONLY A trucker driver and nothing else. If I was there and you blocked the H/S or any other lane for that matter. I would be uploading the HD footage to YOUTUBE with a link to your company.

surrender your licence, truckerjimbo :laughing: moved to brum? :sunglasses: dummy brummy :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

truckerjimbo:
If I was there and you blocked the H/S or any other lane for that matter. I would be uploading the HD footage to YOUTUBE with a link to your company.

Another good reason today to keep a low profile, and not try and sort out situations that in real terms have ■■■■ all to do with you, and everything to do with the Old Bill :bulb:

Quinny:
Now I don’t really care if anyone on here slates me for doing it

Wouldnt blast you for doing it chap! Really does my head to be honest. Everyone is in the same boat in these situations.
But getting back to it, it seems to be the more “old school” driver who takes this stance, where as the “new blood” have an attitude of nothing to do with me/too scared/the world will come to an end etc etc.

Just for old time sake…
youtube.com/watch?v=Df6cbwFXRWw
sits back and awaits the obvious response…

tonka236:

Quinny:
Now I don’t really care if anyone on here slates me for doing it

But getting back to it, it seems to be the more “old school” driver who takes this stance, where as the “new blood” have an attitude of nothing to do with me/too scared/the world will come to an end etc etc.

Not sure about that mate, I could be described as old school, and yeh, I have done arsey things like blocked contra flow approaches etc for example, which on reflection is maybe also wrong, and I’ve certainly not been scared to question authority, but blocking the hard shoulder to Emergency services potentially risking lives? no.

tonka236:
…it seems to be the more “old school” driver who takes this stance…

I disagree. I think it has more to do with personality type than when you got your licence.

I would also say it’s not a positive personality trait; you can tell a lot about a bloke who likes to play traffic cop and takes it upon himself to block traffic using the hard shoulder or pushing in* at lane closures.
*AKA using the road to its full capacity and merging in turn.

@NWmwaypolice: Dont be tempted to use the hard shoulder on the M6 northbound to jump the queue - cameras have picked out over 30 vehicles

@NWmwaypolice: Drivers can expect one of our tickets through the post and 3 points

Relax Quinny this is what five-o were tweeting about earlier re that incident

Well done Ken, Not what I would have done but… :laughing:

I see them doing it a lot on the M74 south, coming off at the Raith interchange, hazzards on and drive down the hard shoulder/sheveroned area and join the usually empty lane one (of 3)on the off slip… and sometimes they go down the hard shoulder and straight into lane one as a car who has queued up and wait is joining lane one, and they blast the horn at the patient law abiding motorist :imp: (Small mistake by them not checking their mirror for these idiots) question is, If there was a accident there whos fault would it be?

google.co.uk/maps/@55.80531 … ZzP9fw!2e0