I,m looking for a career change and need advice

I currently work in retail and looking to have a complete change of career! I’ve been offered an interview with a company and sounds very promising! I have no experience but am very loyal and love a new challenge! What are the pro’s and cons of driving? What do I need to succeed? Can anyone help me with what I need know before my interview? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Difficult to answer the question without launching into an essay.

Briefly, the cons are:

Long hours
Working alone
Often spoken “down” to
Disrespected by much of the motoring public
Pay can be poor
Industry where the driver attracts fines for repeated mistakes

The upside is:

Money can be good - if you get the right job
A sense of freedom - though you’ll probably be subject to telematics
Working along - if that’s what you like
Seeing new places
The enjoyment of driving a truck - for some of us, this doesn’t wear off

You’re going for an interview and obviously have little or no industry knowledge. I suggest you work hard to get the point over that you’re keen to learn, not afraid of the graft and that you want to make a career out of driving.

Good luck with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks Pete, great advice

From what I can tell from your post, you know very little about the industry and have yet to acquire a license?

The pros and cons are very subjective, it’s varies depending on the type of work you do and for which company you do it for.
For instance I currently work in bulk haulage, away from home 4-5 nights a week and love it. Whereas another driver would much rather be home every night and work regular hours, for example builders merchant deliveries.

So unless you already know what part of the industry you fancy, unfortunately the answer is how long is a piece of string?

Good luck buddy, any questions are always welcome on here

A company is looking to train me! Think it’s early starts and home for afternoons! Variety of different contracts so could tailor my needs to what work there is! I’m keen to learn but what’s the best type of work out there to challenge myself to work toward!
Also don’t want to sound a complete dummy at the interview!!

Some jobs may involve not being home Friday night and running back to base on a Saturday after you have slept in the cab all week .
Due to tachograph rules, if you are out of hours, that’s it.
Rdc trunking or regional distribution centre or hubs , this is mostly motorway driving with ambient goods or frozen food .
They take your lorry keys when unloading in case you drive off with a fork lift in the trailer.
Manual entries on a digital tachograph is when you enter other work activity or match up start times, so if the boss said start work 6am and your lorry is not back from night shift or in the garage and you get in it at 9 am .
An analogue tacho is the old fashioned round paper chart, some firms still use these.
Go to the Dvsa website and learn the driving hours and rest period times or print it off.

You may like to suggest that you go out with another driver for a few shifts, to learn routes etc. Or they may have a training regime in place already. I found that really useful.