I love my job.

Just a thought. Reading some of the negative remarks about our profession, I just wanted to add a different angle.
I love my job. Whether it be driving a bin wagon, or a 44ton artic. A bulker on farm collection, or long distance to Scotland. Full auto box toy, or twin splitter batch.
Sure, I don’t like the crap that comes with it. But unlike those poor saps in factories, building sites, and offices, when we pull out of the gate, we are free…

we are free … to be stuck in traffic, scorned by the general public, to be harassed by mad drivers in all sizes of vehicles and likely to fall foul of any one or more of the thousands of laws that concerns drivers, and then we get the tacho/driving hours regs !! yea, absolutely really miss it all :unamused:

It’s alright I guess. When I used to drive lorries. I had that feeling pulling out of a factory, having actually worked in a factory myself for a summer. Depends what you’re doing. The lorry is fun to drive (less so nowadays) and driving about English countryside can be quite fun. But head to a city it’s rubbish. Just weight limit after weight limit these days. All traps for unwary. I found dealing with RDCs vile. I hate all that RDC stuff, Keune and Nigel or whatever they’re called. I liked general haulage. Driving to farms. Meeting odd, sometimes a bit rude but often interesting folk, military places. Anywhere but those RDCs. Being spoken to like dirt at security/ goods in “managers” (ha!)/ shunter or in those waiting rooms listening to drivers in tracksuits put me in foul form for yonks. It has changed a lot even in 10 years.

Thoroughly enjoy it , hauling cryogenics can be stressful on the QA side of things , and with the silly season starting(we had snow today) I’ll be earning my money for the next 6 months . However 4 and 4 , daft money , no traffic as such , and a dispatcher 2000 miles away who leaves me alone to get on with the job all helps with the smiles per miles .
Why moan about life ? If you don’t like what you’ve been dealt move on . :sunglasses:

I love my job aswell.
Love firing my scania R480 up in the mornings.
Then driving round the countryside all day.

To many people moaning about driving jobs if you ain’t happy go do something else or get a job in the office.
Guarantee a week or two in the office you be wishing you were on the road in peace.

I’ve had several different jobs I my working life, but always come back to truck driving.
That’s why now I’m semi retired I’m having one last session before I drop off my perch.
Having said that, I’ve been retired eleven years and I still keep passing my medical, my wife says she’s thinking of taking me down to the vets when it’s time to put me down!