I know this is morally wrong but

I am probably going to get slagged off, abused, flamed etc for this but here goes. I would also like to say I do not drink & drive, never have and hopefully never will.

If you are stopped by the police and you KNOW for a fact you are over the limit here is some totally imoral advice. Refuse to give a sample of breath, blood etc, Why?
If you are breathalized and are over the limit you will receive a minimum 12 month ban and a hefty fine. If you refuse to give a breath sample you will receive a 12 month ban and a hefty fine. BUT…
With the latter, the offence will stay on you licence for 3 years, with the positive sample it will stay on your licence for 10 years. A big diffence when trying to re-insure after the ban.

(Hunkers down and awaits flak)[/u]

That has always been the case. If someone refuses to give a sample then it can not be proven they had committed any kind of drink or drug offence at all and hence can only be prosecuted for not co-operating with the law.

The question would be - in their over-the-limit state would they be able to make that rational type of decision :exclamation:

good advice. I got done in the early 90’s and couldn’t afford to a car for years afterwards. Only trouble is remembering to say no to plod after a skinfull!

I’ve learnt my lesson and never touch any alcohol when i’m driving or maybe driving.

The dodgy thing about drinking is the morning after as you have no idea if you are still over the limit. You may feel fine but could still be over the limit.

Speck:
If you are breathalized and are over the limit you will receive a minimum 12 month ban and a hefty fine. If you refuse to give a breath sample you will receive a 12 month ban and a hefty fine. BUT…
With the latter, the offence will stay on you licence for 3 years

Not so, it stays on for ten years.

wire:
That has always been the case. If someone refuses to give a sample then it can not be proven they had committed any kind of drink or drug offence at all and hence can only be prosecuted for not co-operating with the law.

Failure to provide a specimen is an offence.

This might help:

direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Dr … G_10022425

bubsy06:
The dodgy thing about drinking is the morning after as you have no idea if you are still over the limit. You may feel fine but could still be over the limit.

Went to a Leics Police road safety meeting last night that was primarily aimed at young drivers and the ‘MOURNING’ after was the title of one of the sessions

They had some EIRE TV safety DVDs that are aired and they are much more hard hitting than the ones in the UK.

The drink drive one says at the end -
Drink & Drive - You must be a BLOODY IDIOT
and we were told that is shown on Eire TV :exclamation:

They used these videos to reduce the injuries to young drivers who would not wear seat belts as it was not ‘COOL’
There was 85% not wearing them but now only 5% and the injuries have had a dramatic fall and the cost to their emergency services has also fallen a lot.

Speck:
I know this is morally wrong but…

It is also factually wrong.

Whilst failing to provide a specimen for a roadside test carries the lower penalty. Failing to supply a specimen for analysis carries the same higher penalty.

:wink:

Do you mean like this?

OK, I’ve been asked for a comment on this thread, so here goes…

It is an offence to fail to provide a specimen of breath at the roadside, the roadside breath test machines are not deadly accurate but will give the officer a very good idea if you are over the limit or not.

If you provide a sample of breath at the roadside and the machine indicates it is positive, you will be arrested on suspicion of driving with excess alcohol in your breath. (Note that this is a suspicion at this point).

If you fail or refuse to provide a sample of breath at the roadside and the officer suspects alcohol, you will be arrested for failing to provide a sample and in both circumstances you will be taken to the nearest PACE approved police station. Here you will be invited to provide 2 evidential samples on the station machine (which is calibrated and is deadly accurate), the lower reading of the 2 being the one used for evidential purposes. If the officer does not suspect alcohol and you refuse to provide a sample at the roadside, you will be reported for summons for that offence.

If you provide a sample of breath with under 36 microgrammes of alcohol per 100ml of breath, you will be released without charge and that is the end of it. If you provide a reading of 36 or over, then you are technically over the limit and liable to be charged with driving on a road or public place with excess alcohol in your breath. Under some circumstances you may be offered the further option of having a blood sample for analysis and in this case, you will be bailed to return to the police station in the near future until the blood has been analysed. You will also be given your own sample of blood so you can have it independently analysed.

If you blow into the 50’s and beyond, you’ll be charged with drink drive. no ifs, no buts.

If you refuse or fail to provide 2 samples of breath you’ll be charged with failing to provide, no ifs, no buts.

The sentence for both the above is mandatory…12 month driving disqualification and fine (usually around £300 to £500 depending on your means).

When you get your licence back (and sometimes you are required to pass a test to get it back), you’ll have DR10 on you licence…this stays on for 10 years.

The title of the post is also interesting…the morally wrong thing is driving with alcohol in your system in the first place!!!

There’s lots of “urban myths” about drink driving, the simple truth is that the legislation has been around a long time and every possible defence has been tested in Courts and is now enshrined in case-law. There are virtually no circumstances under which you will “get away with” or “get a lesser sentence” for being ■■■■■■ whilst driving.

The above is a very potted version of UK drink driving law and there’s much more to it than that.

I’ve done alot of people for drink driving over the years (it’s become a pet speciality) and I can be honest when I say it gives me a great deal of pleasure to take a ■■■■■■■■ off the road.

Was that OK Rog?

simple rule to drink driving DON’T DO IT
My rule is, just one sip and thats no driving for at least 8hrs

Shrek:
There’s lots of “urban myths” about drink driving, the simple truth is that the legislation has been around a long time and every possible defence has been tested in Courts and is now enshrined in case-law. There are virtually no circumstances under which you will “get away with” or “get a lesser sentence” for being ■■■■■■ whilst driving.

I remember one successfull defence involving spiked drinks. Has that loophole been closed now■■?

Personally, I’d like to see a campaign to lower the limits to ZERO, 3yrs+ ban followed by a period of alcohol + driving monitoring. There’s still alot of habitual drink drivers out there yet to be caught once.

Shrek:
OK, I’ve been asked for a comment on this thread, so here goes…

Was that OK Rog?

Thank you Shrek :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

A very informed post and very enlightening as I had no idea of the laws regarding this issue and perhaps like many others had only heard a mixture of laws and myths.

At most I’ll have 2 smallish glasses of wine if I’m going to be driving. I won’t have a spirit, and I don’t drink pints anyway.

Something that does concern me though is the issue of a zero limit. How do you know when you’re completely clear? The police and other relevant bodies are continually going on about drivers being responsible, and rightly so, but they then pour cold water on the idea of us buying testers for our own private use, the argument being that it would somehow encourage people to drink and drive. IMHO, I can’t think of anything MORE responsible than wanting to check yourself to see if you are below the limit, bearing in mind that the present limit has been set by supposed experts.

The big problem is ‘the morning after the night before’ situation, and for professional drivers often starting earlyish in the morning, it’s of particular concern. So again I ask, how on earth are we supposed to know when it’s safe to do so?

Surely we’re not going to become totally totalitarian and say that if you drink you can NEVER drive, or if you drive you can NEVER drink alcohol??

Supatramp:
At most I’ll have 2 smallish glasses of wine if I’m going to be driving. I won’t have a spirit, and I don’t drink pints anyway.

Something that does concern me though is the issue of a zero limit. How do you know when you’re completely clear? The police and other relevant bodies are continually going on about drivers being responsible, and rightly so, but they then pour cold water on the idea of us buying testers for our own private use, the argument being that it would somehow encourage people to drink and drive. IMHO, I can’t think of anything MORE responsible than wanting to check yourself to see if you are below the limit, bearing in mind that the present limit has been set by supposed experts.

The big problem is ‘the morning after the night before’ situation, and for professional drivers often starting earlyish in the morning, it’s of particular concern. So again I ask, how on earth are we supposed to know when it’s safe to do so?

Surely we’re not going to become totally totalitarian and say that if you drink you can NEVER drive, or if you drive you can NEVER drink alcohol??

There is a calculation that can be done but to do it you must know the exact amount of units consumed and I’ll bet ot many will know that :exclamation:

Alcohol leaves a body at the same rate for everybody no matter what ■■■ or size they are because everyones liver is the same and it is the liver that does the job.

Some Countries have a zero limit and it works for them - zero is not what it says as there is a small tolerance for things that contain alcohol.

The problem with testers at our current level is that people can use them so they can get as close as possible to the legal limit.

With different measures and different strengths in almost every alcoholic drink on our market it really is impossible to calculate what exact units are being consumed

The only sure solution is not to drink & drive at all.

I can’t drink & drive anyway more ends up on the floor… :smiley: :smiley: :laughing: :laughing: lol
only joking people don’t shoot me please… there should be a zero limit in my eyes but thats me…

muckymobile:
I can’t drink & drive anyway more ends up on the floor… :smiley: :smiley: :laughing: :laughing: lol
only joking people don’t shoot me please… there should be a zero limit in my eyes but thats me…

throws muckymobile the well worn flak jacket :laughing: :laughing: :exclamation:

I can’t even stand the taste of alcohol full stop…don’t even like shandy. hick,hick

If you use alcoholic hand wipes can the alcohol end up in your blood stream when it soakes through your skin!!! :open_mouth: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

[quote=“pecjam23”

throws muckymobile the well worn flak jacket** :laughing: :laughing: :exclamation:

i thank you… :blush: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing: :laughing: