I just can’t decide if I should do this or not…

Should i fork out 3.5k to go from car to arctic?

Should I stay in a dead end factory job that pays really well but is it utter ■■■■■■

I just can’t make my mind up.

I’m 45, no real qualifications and yearn for some sort of direction when it comes to the rest of my working life.

There is a lot of negativity towards this job on here which makes me worried, but some good bits too.

I’m currently on about 37k and need to equal or better it. I know I’ll have to do more hours than my current 37.5. Bear in mind I repeat a 60 second Cycle 350 times a day and it’s complex and tiring.

Please could I have some advise, all welcome.

I can fund myself and there is no rush.

Should I book it all now or not even consider it?(not broker)

Tbh I’d stick at a factory job that pays £37k on regular hours than work all the hours to earn that driving a truck.

Regular hours and a life would be a no brainer for me. Most jobs are dead end jobs but what only really matters is how much you get paid and whether it is enough for your lifestyle.

Happiness in a job is a bonus these days the same as there is no such thing as a job for life these days.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

The hours are very antisocial and the work is hellish. One of the logistics providers to the factory are currently taking on class 1 new starts at 40k

I can’t continue to do this job indefinitely as age is not on my side and you have to be very fit and resilient.

I need something viable for the next 15 years or so

The hours driving a truck are generally pretty unsociable. Most companies say you can earn X amount but often it includes working all hours to make that money. Most drivers average at least 55 to 60 hours a week to make that kind of money.

I’ve now got a job where I do 10 hours a night or less if things are good, sometimes up to about 12 hours. That pays around 35k. So like I said if you want to work more hours the money is achievable even on lower basic rates but it becomes a grind working in excess of 50 hours week in week out.

But only you can decide what is really right for you.

It’s advertised at 40K for 50 hours and they might pay for my training costs too!

£1 extra per hour between 6pm -6pm too.

I just know I can’t carry on much longer working the line

I’d tend to agree, stay where you are, because it isn’t very likely you’ll be earning £37k in a hurry as a new pass. But, money might not be everything, if your job is as soul destroying as you’re describing, you might enjoy life a bit more in a different sector of work

New starts welcome. 40k . Monday -Friday . no nights out am and pm shifts. Various start times.

tomoxford:
New starts welcome. 40k . Monday -Friday . no nights out am and pm shifts. Various start times.

Look you’ve been given advice. You clearly only want to hear what you wish too.

Lots of companies say x amount basic etc and the reality is generally very different.

It’s your choice what you do and yours alone, people can give advice but it’s down to you and what you want and are happy with.

Just don’t expect it to be any rosier than your current job.

tomoxford:

Whereabouts in the country is that?

Edit: Sorry, I’ve just seen your other posts, plus it’s in your name! :smiley:

37k for 37.5hrs. I would like your job…

My job sounds great on paper but the reality is very different

How could you advertise a job at 40k if it’s not 40k?

tomoxford:

How could you advertise a job at 40k if it’s not 40k?

Quite easily actually. Jobs often say you can earn X amount but not the rates or hours required to earn that particular amount. Also they can say x amount but would depend on whether day or night etc.

Id suggest you tell us who it is for then people can hopefully tell you whether that is achievable or not based on first hand experience of working there.

What is the hourly rate and is it for days or nights or tramping??

tomoxford:

Driving a truck for circa 35 to 40k sounds great on paper but the reality is very different.

Traffic jams, arsey people at sites, being kept waiting hours on end to be tipped and the list goes on and on. It’s not the rosy fantastic job people think it is and most only do it because they see the £ signs and usually come from lower paid jobs

tomoxford:
It’s advertised at 40K for 50 hours and they might pay for my training costs too!

£1 extra per hour between 6pm -6pm too.

I just know I can’t carry on much longer working the line

This isn’t a job advert, it’s a sales pitch. People want to fill these jobs, and will say whatever it takes in order to do so.
There are very few jobs that will pay that amount, as that wage works out at about £17p/h, especially to new passes.
There are (admittedly very few) companies that will offer training and a job at the end of it, see the recent thread about Eddie Stobarts training scheme for more information, but the wage for those sorts of companies will be nowhere near what you are suggesting.
Now that the driver shortage has ended, most driving jobs will offer £12-15p/h, depending on where they are in the country and the type of work, so to hit £40k p/a would involve working a considerable number of hours.
I’ve been a driver for almost 8 years and I’ve just turned 35. Driving has allowed me to live a comfortable life financially, but I’ve had to work bloody hard in return for it, and make significant sacrifices as well, such as working long and unsociable hours, night shifts, weekends etc, meaning not spending time with family and friends.
Do some more research, see what the job market looks like in your area, and how long jobs are advertised for. If the average job in your area is paying less than that, or if adverts are disappearing quickly, then there probably isn’t a shortage of drivers in your area, in which case the advert you have seen is likely to be more fantasy than reality

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

This is a legit job and advert. A friend, new pass, started with them recently. It’s 40k + for 50 hours roughly. No nights, just trunking runs, manufacturer to manufacture.

Why is this so hard to believe?

tomoxford:
This is a legit job and advert. A friend, new pass, started with them recently. It’s 40k + for 50 hours roughly. No nights, just trunking runs, manufacturer to manufacture.

I’m not wasting my breath on this with you anymore.

You’ve been given advice and ignore everything anyone suggests and clearly have made you mind up so go for it, just don’t come back bleating if it doesn’t turn out to be anything like you expect.

Oh and for ref people lie, especially drivers about what they do and what they get paid happens all the time.

Anyway I’m bored going over the same ground so crack on.

50 hours roughly is that 40k for 50 hours or 40k for 50 plus hours the detail makes all the difference.

Loads of class 1 jobs around my way at £18+ per hour

tomoxford:

Hi there. You have done a job for years. You do it well and earn a fair salary for it. You are probably pretty good at it and your employer values you.

You have asked for comment on moving to being a driver and the comment is the grass is not always greener. There is scepticism on the thread about the wages and pay for a new start. You know the employer involved so think that risk is mitigated. So be it. Afterall you know who you are talking about. If you are interested going over a written contract carefully would help understand that risk.

How attached are you to that current wage you earn? If that is the most important thing then you can’t move. But I don’t think you are. I think your outlook has made the decision for you. Ultimately you are only alive once and are at work for too long to do something that doesn’t make you happy. You have made up your mind to move, so really the questions you are facing are what can I do to make that move a success. If the crux is money address that by being able to live for less like paying off any debts that increase your costs and reduce outgoings. If you can self-fund you are a long way there.

You can also de-risk the move by doing the mental exercise of taking that employer out of the equation. What if you go to work for them and really don’t like them? You just can’t get on with the boss. Think of your happiness. Relying on one employment option is high risk - what are wages like in the wider market and these experienced folks have given their reaction.

Good luck to you. Hope you make it a success.

The market for class 1 in my area always has 17.50+ jobs on offer. I know the employer and and an employee.

I know the grass is always greener but it’s different. The job I have now pays well but is horrible. 3 week rotating pattern between AM- afternoon and nights.

I’ve been considering this move since about 2016.

I’m savvy enough to know what an unrealistic job advert is. This isn’t one of them.

It’s not that I’m not willing to listen to advise but I want more than one persons opinion.

I’ve lurked on this forum a lot so I’m aware of many issues and factors in this industry.

I just want a job I can do as I grow old

tomoxford:
Should i fork out 3.5k to go from car to arctic?

Should I stay in a dead end factory job that pays really well but is it utter [zb]?

I just can’t make my mind up.

I’m 45, no real qualifications and yearn for some sort of direction when it comes to the rest of my working life.

There is a lot of negativity towards this job on here which makes me worried, but some good bits too.

I’m currently on about 37k and need to equal or better it. I know I’ll have to do more hours than my current 37.5. Bear in mind I repeat a 60 second Cycle 350 times a day and it’s complex and tiring.

Please could I have some advise, all welcome.

I can fund myself and there is no rush.

Should I book it all now or not even consider it?(not broker)

My advice: Stop thinking about it, and just do it.