I had to see it to believe it but a reminder - they're out t

there. A14 close call/near miss thursday night

Going east, somewhere before the A1(M) part, maybe around j21 or so, there were roadworks - lane 2 closed so only n/s lane available. 1 truck before me, I follow 3-4 seconds behind. SUV joins just before the roadworks from side road (on the n/s) overtakes me and truck in front, then we enter the single lane part (o/s now coned off) Suddenly the truck before me slows down, I figure SUV has slowed down to exit at next jct so turn off my cc. Now truck in front slams hard on brakes activating automated 4-way flashers, I follow suit and come to a stop within about a half meter from his backside, we both stop for a brief second.

He releases brakes and we slowly go again, I now see the SUV as I’m passing it - on my right, at a 90 angle inside the coned off lane face pointing towards the barrier, no contact either side, rear or front. He/she was trying to turn right into a side road but because of the cones couldn’t so decided to proceed to make a 4 point u-turn (reversing back onto the active lane causing the truck following me which luckily was far behind to stop). This I observed in my o/s mirror as I had already passed the SUV before it could reverse into me. It then turned into the coned off lane against traffic and drove towards the exit it wanted to take originally.

How do you anticipate something like this…

Let natural selection take its course

ETS:

By leaving a 3-4 second gap between you and the lorry in front :sunglasses:

ETS:
there. A14 close call/near miss thursday night

Going east, somewhere before the A1(M) part, maybe around j21 or so, there were roadworks - lane 2 closed so only n/s lane available. 1 truck before me, I follow 3-4 seconds behind. SUV joins just before the roadworks from side road (on the n/s) overtakes me and truck in front, then we enter the single lane part (o/s now coned off) Suddenly the truck before me slows down, I figure SUV has slowed down to exit at next jct so turn off my cc. Now truck in front slams hard on brakes activating automated 4-way flashers, I follow suit and come to a stop within about a half meter from his backside, we both stop for a brief second.

He releases brakes and we slowly go again, I now see the SUV as I’m passing it - on my right, at a 90 angle inside the coned off lane face pointing towards the barrier, no contact either side, rear or front. He/she was trying to turn right into a side road but because of the cones couldn’t so decided to proceed to make a 4 point u-turn (reversing back onto the active lane causing the truck following me which luckily was far behind to stop). This I observed in my o/s mirror as I had already passed the SUV before it could reverse into me. It then turned into the coned off lane against traffic and drove towards the exit it wanted to take originally.

I have no problem with driving over the top of them if I couldn’t stop, dash cam would be great for this