I had a dry bulk load today!

Not a bad day today, loaded in Yonkers with dry sugar in a bulker, it didn’t go down well with the loader because if he overloaded me (which sometimes happens) I have no blower to get rid of some of the load and he would have to shovel it out :laughing: :laughing:
So I drive 230 miles from my house to Yonkers, drop the liquid tank and hook to a dry one, load and drive just 99 miles to the drop spot in Bethlehem PA, drop and hook and run back to Yonkers, my Elog showed 2 minutes time left when I pulled through the gate.
Orft to jolly old Buffalo in the morrow :slight_smile:

Looks different without that shinny cylinder behind don’t it ?

Pat Hasler:

It’d look better with a red bumper! I cant stand how 95% of all Cascadias now come with crappy grey/black plastic bumpers, it makes them look terrible.

As for your elog…what would happen if you went two minutes over? Would you be panicing in a EU style fit of nerves for your livelyhood or isn’t any one that bothered about it?

It wouldn’t bother me one bit ! I have often run out of time stuck on the GWB and taken up to an hour to get parked up, I just make a note in the ‘Remarks’ section and I am covered, so long as you don’t make a habit of it and I am willing to bet DOT would check to see if there was a delay that day.
Some drivers I know log out on the bridge which is a stupid thing to do, if some idiot (and we both know there are a lot in this area) hits you then you are done for, because it’s better to be on the clock and over your hours than off duty but caught on the road.

been informed am going to be on the old log books and not the elogs only about 30 - 40 units in the whole fleet have been fitted with them

Pat Hasler:

hi pat,
that looks better than the tube trailer, you dont need so much solvol autosol, to keep that polished . :unamused: :unamused:
cheers diesel

Pat Hasler:
It wouldn’t bother me one bit ! I have often run out of time stuck on the GWB and taken up to an hour to get parked up, I just make a note in the ‘Remarks’ section and I am covered, so long as you don’t make a habit of it and I am willing to bet DOT would check to see if there was a delay that day.
Some drivers I know log out on the bridge which is a stupid thing to do, if some idiot (and we both know there are a lot in this area) hits you then you are done for, because it’s better to be on the clock and over your hours than off duty but caught on the road.

Can you then log out of it to tip “off card” so to speak then so long as the milleage is very small? I often park outside the shipper/receiver the night before etc. I was talking to a driver from Wisconsin a few years back and his elog let him drive two miles before it changed from rest mode to driving/work. I dont know if thats standard or not.

Few years ago but not now,can’t even sneeze without the bloody thing recording it :unamused:

flat to the mat:
Few years ago but not now,can’t even sneeze without the bloody thing recording it :unamused:

Sounds like the digi card lol

It depends on how your company set them up. Ours were set for 1 mile before automaticaly changing, then they set it at 2 miles. Once you log ‘Off duty’ you can then ‘Log out’ which stops anything being recorded on your log, you can then bob tail to a Diner or to do shopping etc, it usually allows you up to 60 miles. For instance some of our NYC drivers live in the Bronx and one lives about 30 miles north, he is allowed by law to drive home bob tail, once hooked to a trailer you must be logged in.
If as I said before, you run out of hours due to traffic or other unexpected delay it’s best to stay on duty and just enter the reason in ‘Remarks’ that way you will be covered if you have an accident.
If you make a mistake such as forgetting to log off etc stay logged in but use a paper log, tell your company of the error and they can change the log from their end.

Pat Hasler:
It depends on how your company set them up. Ours were set for 1 mile before automaticaly changing, then they set it at 2 miles. Once you log ‘Off duty’ you can then ‘Log out’ which stops anything being recorded on your log, you can then bob tail to a Diner or to do shopping etc, it usually allows you up to 60 miles. For instance some of our NYC drivers live in the Bronx and one lives about 30 miles north, he is allowed by law to drive home bob tail, once hooked to a trailer you must be logged in.
If as I said before, you run out of hours due to traffic or other unexpected delay it’s best to stay on duty and just enter the reason in ‘Remarks’ that way you will be covered if you have an accident.
If you make a mistake such as forgetting to log off etc stay logged in but use a paper log, tell your company of the error and they can change the log from their end.

What is the law in the US on off-duty bobtailing Pat? In Canada we get 75km which we record on our log books but I have always been told by American drivers that they dont have any such thing there? I’ve never believed that to be true as no American trucker would be prisoner to his vehicle due to a logbook/rule like his European counterpart happily would. Hence why they all bobtail around town when off duty.

Pat Hasler:

My sentiments for over 35 years

That is no different to what the drivers do here though Pat, we call it Article 12 now, although we used to call it being flexible :stuck_out_tongue: