"I didn't feel a thing"

Not just what the mrs says to me… also a valid reasoning for this.

dailymail.co.uk/news/articl … YS-M1.html

That’s what the ■■■■■■■ idiot mirror is for amongst every other mirror on a truck and being aware of your surroundings. Not to mention constant mirror checks whilst driving so you are fully aware of what is or isn’t around you.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

toonsy:

Just another excuse for people to slag off truck drivers and hang about in their blind spots.

This wouldn’t happen to a good truck driver, it also wouldn’t happen to a good CAR driver either.

You can’t just expect people to have seen you just because you can see a mirror, not that most car drivers pay attention to that anyway, I don’t know why people put themselves in these positions.

Think any reasonable person would gladly lift off to avoid being in a trucks blind spot. Lack of awareness all around really…

Who are these boneheads? Is anybody actually buying the excuse that the driver can’t see the car, or can’t feel the resistance of its weight? If you do, you really should not be driving.

flammen:

toonsy:

Just another excuse for people to slag off truck drivers and hang about in their blind spots.

This wouldn’t happen to a good truck driver, it also wouldn’t happen to a good CAR driver either.

You can’t just expect people to have seen you just because you can see a mirror, not that most car drivers pay attention to that anyway, I don’t know why people put themselves in these positions.

Think any reasonable person would gladly lift off to avoid being in a trucks blind spot. Lack of awareness all around really…

Ha, your driving skills seem as flawed as your scientific views.
You, as a professional driver should be aware if any car driver enters a blindspot although there a very few on modern trucks compared to older vehicles.
Most car drivers are unaware of lorry blindspots because it is not a part of their driving or their responsibility.

Twice today, half wits in LHD foreign reg artics approaching slip roads (one MSA entry, one jct off slip), both lorries in middle lane jammed right up the arse of other wagons in front, then decide less than 500yds from slip road they need desperately to turn off, both bullied other road users using the vehicle’s size in order to complete their moves.

So, yes, nothing these clowns do surprises me any more on their mission to shave 3 seconds off a journey and sod everyone else, wouldn’t have surprised me if the cars those two bullied hadn’t given way they would have done as the chump in the video and dragged said cars off with them hooked in the side guards or rear underrun bar.
As you expected, the courtesy and manners by-passes performed on said clowns worked perfectly as no acknowledgement of thanks/sorry to the victims who thankfully had more sense than they :unamused:

jakethesnake:
Most car drivers are unaware of lorry blindspots because it is not a part of their driving or their responsibility.

Right, so you’d just stand behind a van when they’re reversing for example? Or would you just avoid being there at all? I mean if he hits you, its his fault isn’t it? Of course you’d just avoid it cos it ain’t worth the bother.
Technically he’s supposed to look before he sets off, but you’d be the idiot for not avoiding a potential accident since you have more instantaneous information than they do.

If you’re swinging nun-chucks in a supermarket, I see you and walk into you, full swing, who screwed up? I did. Because I saw a danger and didn’t mitigate.

Doesn’t matter who’s right or wrong, you keep yourself out of the danger zone and that’s that, being under the windows of a trucks cab is one of those danger zones.

If I’m in the car I’m going to slow down and let the truck pass me and repass him if I’m that bothered about it.

If you expect that just because a vehicles mirror is angled in your direction that you’ve been seen, you’re a poor driver, sorry to say.

jakethesnake:

It is part of their responsibility though, unless they want to give themselves front row tickets to the next blind spot crash caught on camera… If you’re not prepared to rectify other peoples mistakes on the road you’re going to be involved in a lot of incidents. Is it worth the 2hours exchanging details or funeral costs just to be “right” ? No, of course it isn’t.

To suggest being aware of other vehicles visual or technical difficulties is not part of your responsibility is a monumental failure of due care and attention.

How many more cameras & mirrors do these ■■■■■ need.

Car/bike/pram comes up inside or outside of you & vanishes, surely would you not be interested to at least check your mirrors.

Similar to the Royal Mail incident, the one filming has had a chance to get the camera out and start filming which gives an idea about where priorities lie.

You would think that this would happen maybe after a short slip road, where the driver hasn’t seen the car coming flying on. It has never happened to me so I don’t know how much noise is made or how much handling is altered.

As for the downward mirror to the front, I freely admit to not checking this at all when driving along the road. This would take far too much attention away from the road ahead.

One driver who told me something similar happened to him said the police did a standard tacho check and he got on and finished his run. As with all incidents, it becomes more serious when there is serious injury as blame has to be established.

I have a feeling that if the truck was covered with full CCTV, the driver of the car would be found most to blame for ending up on the front of a lorry. As ever the public perception is that the truck driver must be an idiot. Gives you an idea of what we are up against.

Pole protects pole !!

jakethesnake:

flammen:

toonsy:

Ha, your driving skills seem as flawed as your scientific views.
You, as a professional driver should be aware if any car driver enters a blindspot although there a very few on modern trucks compared to older vehicles.

Super snake is right again, oh to be so perfect

I’ve seen quite a few news articles of this happening exactly like that.
I mean, I can see how it happens your doing 200 miles on a motorway, how often are you going to check that top down mirror? For all we know he was pushing the car along for 30 secs. So do you check yours every 30secs?

I can fully believe he did not feel the car though.

jakethesnake:
You, as a professional driver should be aware if any car driver enters a blindspot

The whole reason it’s called a blindspot is because you can’t see them. Unless you happen to be looking in the mirrors before they enter it you won’t necessarily see them will you? :unamused: :unamused:
At some point you’ve got to look in the direction you’re going. You’re as bad as that Sadiq Khan who is running London who wants all lorry drivers to spend all their time looking in five different directions at once. It’ll get to the point where only drivers who are like this will be allowed to drive a lorry.

6 of one half a dozen of the other i would say. All you can say from the video is the car obviously came up his nearside. I susspect the car was trying to go for an undertake ran out of room due the the lorries on the inside lane and cut in on the lorry as there seems to be no reason for the lorry to be in the third lane. Should the person of been looking in his nearside mirror posibly but why would they. They have compleated thier manouver as far as changing lane thier attention is probably rightly or wrongly on the lorry they are overtaking.

however whatever happened before or what ever the situation was the caused the car to get there and if he could of felt it or not suly he could hear the screaching of the tyres and would of backed off even if he didnt have a clue what it was.

My point is this would probably not have happened to most drivers. Drivers who are aware of what is going on around them and not in a daydream or playing with one of their toys. It also all boils down to drivers (car and lorrys) leaving insufficient gaps.
Some are just too quick to use a blindspot as an excuse.
I completely concur with simcor and Juddian.

jakethesnake:

So car drivers are not taught about blindspots in cars and the importance of shoulder checks hmmm?

You talk some utter tripe at times.

Of course drivers in cars are taught the importance of blind spot checks and anyone with half a brain will understand all vehicles have blind spots and the larger the vehicle the larger the blind spot. And absolutely is is their responsibility to drive to a safe standard regardless of what you drive.

I still maintain the truck driver was a knob but so was the car driver as well.

Doesn’t matter who’s right or wrong, you keep yourself out of the danger zone and that’s that, being under the windows of a trucks cab is one of those danger zones.

If you think the average car driver knows about this or cares you are completely deluded.

simcor:

jakethesnake:

So car drivers are not taught about blindspots in cars and the importance of shoulder checks hmmm?

Of course drivers in cars are taught the importance of blind spot checks and anyone with half a brain will understand all vehicles have blind spots and the larger the vehicle the larger the blind spot. And absolutely is is their responsibility to drive to a safe standard regardless of what you drive.

I never said that. Did I? I said car drivers are not taught about lorry blindspots. Try to understand.

well as a driver of both cars and lorries i dont play silly buggers in either like undertaking a lorry then pulling out infront of it when im not past or even for that matter i dont walk behind reversing vehicles or right in front of them so my shoulder is brushing the front of the cab but thats another story.

jakethesnake:

simcor:

jakethesnake:

I never said that. Did I? I said car drivers are not taught about lorry blindspots. Try to understand.

Learn to use quoting properly and it’s much easier to reply.

You said they have no idea about lorry blindspots. So the fact they learn about them in car automatically means they don’t assume it work out larger vehicles have them also?

You also mention not part or of their responsibility and they don’t care about such things.

Therefore they are not safe drivers and not driving to the required standard expected of any driver regardless of length of time they may have passed their test. The law doesn’t say it’s ok to drive below the standard required just because you only drive X vehicle or have been driving X amount of time.

Sadly not enough police to deal with driving without due care and attention and people get away with it and get lazy and complacent.

A driving licence for anyone is not a right it’s a privillidge that can be revoked at any time.