I could do with a set of chains

Anyone know where I could get hold of a decent (strong) set of long chains?

I’m sick of getting bogged down on sites and having machine drivers and banksmen just shrug their shoulders and walk off :angry:

I’m looking for the ones that I believe are called a nest, several chains with hooks on attached to one big loop.

Any ideas?

TIA
Stuart.

Your boss?

it may be better for the truck to not get bogged down in the first place.
banksmen on building sites ect are always full of it,(the last driver did it and he got out,weve had bigger motors than that in here,ect,ect)
if you aint sure dont do it. :wink:

I saw an owner friver get bogged down with a 3600 Daf when we were moving windblown timber from Dover.

He hung a chain on the towing pin and got a lad on a Timberjack to pull him out. While doing this he nipped the chassis rails together, broke the radiator and oil cooler and smashed the cab mountings. :open_mouth:

As a builders merchant driver of many years , I have come to learn :

NEVER LEAVE THE HARD STUFF.

A lot of brickies are lazy ( not all of them ) and dont want to move anything.
more often than not I found that if I could not get a pack of bricks / blocks exactly where they wanted it , they would spit their dummy out.
Quite often this would lead to words being exchanged ( having a rob k I think it is called now :laughing: ) so I would just shrug my shoulders , pack the hiab away and tell them their stuff is going back to the yard and they can come and get it themselves.

bigandy:
As a builders merchant driver of many years , I have come to learn :

NEVER LEAVE THE HARD STUFF.

A lot of brickies are lazy ( not all of them ) and dont want to move anything.
more often than not I found that if I could not get a pack of bricks / blocks exactly where they wanted it , they would spit their dummy out.
Quite often this would lead to words being exchanged ( having a rob k I think it is called now :laughing: ) so I would just shrug my shoulders , pack the hiab away and tell them their stuff is going back to the yard and they can come and get it themselves.

I 100% agree with you there Andy I done it fr quite a time years ago and like you say Bob and his boys will try to get you in to the mire at all times they dont care once youve dropped the load off.

Then you try and get the site forkie to tow you out and he will often refuse if hes not the same company.

My new firm (timber yard) have got a laminated sheet for us in the cabs to show the customer that we are under orders not to leave hard standing.

i do building sites and as has been said dont leave the hard stuff…but i am a bit better off than most as i have a moffett that said i have got that stuck in the mud once

Forget the chains and find yourself and old sling. There not as heavy and they cushion the tow a little better. I liberated one from a building site.

Last time I had to deliver to a building site was with a ‘flat’ full of (big) drainage pipes. I suggested that they unload the stuff on the road as these pipes come banded together in quite big, and therefore top heavy, stacks i.e. a bit unstable!

“Bring it on site mate. It’s right over there we need it!” they said. I had a look at the ground and although an uneven surface, it was quite solidish.

Anyway, I got to where they wanted it, unstrapped it and stood back. They were using a JCB with forks on the bucket and they lifted the first stack OK, started to move slowly backwards and had just cleared the trailer when the right hand side wheels went down a bit of a rut!!

So, the stack on the JCB forks went both side ways and forwards and managed to knack another two stacks on the trailer as they went down!! Luckily the only damage to the trailer was a broken marker light lens.

According to the two unloaders, each stack was nearly two grand so it was going to have to be an ‘insurance job’!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

i got stuck in a septic tank on a farm once, in it right up to my axles :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:
problem was it wasnt marked or fenced off as it should have been :imp: :imp:
the unit stank for days after no matter how many times i powerwashed underneath :unamused: :unamused:
chris