I cant belive it

i’ve heard that if you jump start another vehicle if fries the speed limiter circuit.
who’s sorry now :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I had a brand new Volvo tractor unit which was limited to 50 mph last night. I went from Bristol to Alfreton and back & averaged over 10 mpg. (Light load both ways)

Great. :smiley:

But the journey took 15 minutes more than it normally would so any mpg savings were wiped out because the truck was running for 15 mins longer. :unamused:

shuttlespanker:
who have their vehicles set at 52MPH (alledgedly for fuel reasons

That might work if you were on the motorway 95% of the time the road was fairly clear all of the time and this country was dead flat everywhere. Other than that it is doubtful.

Life’s a Gas:
I had a brand new Volvo tractor unit which was limited to 50 mph last night. I went from Bristol to Alfreton and back & averaged over 10 mpg. (Light load both ways)

But the journey took 15 minutes more than it normally would so any mpg savings were wiped out because the truck was running for 15 mins longer. :unamused:

I’ve got that out of a laden manual one before now,

DAFMAD:

Life’s a Gas:

I’ve got that out of a laden manual one before now,

Not crawling around the M42 in the rush hour you didn’t. :wink:

bloody hell 48 wtf,

thats not good, your gonna have cars sitting behind you at 48 then decide to go itno the fast lane at 48 to pass you and then you have a car doing 70 having to break hard to avoid them

ive had it happen to me, except they pulled out miles behind a puddle jumper to pass it yet the truck was going faster than them. its not safe and its not big,
vosa need to say that 52 is the lowest a limiter can be set at, companies need to stop taking the crap, the slower we go the more fuel we will need to use to get the trucks up hills etc

Is that why it’s painted Hi Viz yellow then?

Sounds a complete nightmare :open_mouth:

I have a cunning plan.

Have a look on the tacho and see when the two year check is due.
Offer to run it in yourself, Explain to the tachoman that you have defected the tacho, if he refuses to turn it up take it elsewhere.

48 aint so bad, look on the bright side, if you set off for Felixstowe, tip, then return, I reckon at some point along your route young Josh will have reached driving age, passed his test and will be able to wave at you along the way. :laughing:

Just drive it in lower gear rev the nuts off it, make it use more fuel, drive at 45mph everywhere takes ages, make it not worth their while.

chatfields.co.uk/Dealers/Dea … alerID=773

Gist at Thatcham went through a phase of limiting the trucks to 52mph. :imp:

They soon realised that as the trucks were not going into top gear, or were dropping gears on hills because you hit them at a slower speed, that the fuel usage actually went UP.

IT DOES NOT SAVE FUEL. For a start all the modern trucks engines and trannys are designed to run at around 56mph. If your DAF is AUTO then it will not be going into top gear in auto mode, you would have to do it manually. Any saving is wiped out as the truck takes longer to get to its destination because it’s slower. So over a two hour run you are 16 miles short of where you would have been at 56.

I think it’s dangerous. What about the times when you are empty and take a load of trucks on a hill, only to be overtook on the straight with all the hand signals that go with it?

quote=“MR VAIN”]Now i think about it dad, i’d love to of seen the look on yr face the moment you realised that 48 was all you’d got
[/quote]

rob i know first i was confused thinking i had done something wrong then as realisation settled in it was pure fed upness followed by defeat :imp: :imp: :laughing:

BozLeeds:
I can just envisage the bulging calf muscles as you tried to mash the peddle harder into the floor.

to be honest ive tried flicking the cruise control stalk trying to out wit. some of the vehicles on the leeds fleet have broken and gone back to 56 so im hoping for that.

aidey:
So i could be passin you sometime alex :smiley: 48 how do you stay awake.

i know i went to hull this week and that seemed like a real distance journey.

the maoster:
48 aint so bad, look on the bright side, if you set off for Felixstowe, tip, then return, I reckon at some point along your route young Josh will have reached driving age, passed his test and will be able to wave at you along the way. :laughing:

bloody hell i dont want to going to port in it … it would be like going back in time taking 3 days for it. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Kenny1975:
Just drive it in lower gear rev the nuts off it, make it use more fuel, drive at 45mph everywhere takes ages, make it not worth their while.

thats another thing they are not getting any better fuel figures even the ones at 56 are still the same position on the fuel graph as they was before :confused: :confused: :confused:

Well I personally think it’s fast enough for you Alex.

Ken.

Life’s a Gas:

Really? By my (rough) calculations, a 1mpg improvement in consumption would have saved about 13 quid in fuel on that trip. Do they really pay you 50 quid an hour…?

48mph!!! not one for the boy racers then…