I can tie dolly knots now

Well, nearly. Came across a driver roping up a load of blues whilst I was waiting for shift change at Sainsburys Rotherham. So I asked him if he’d show me how to do it. Anyways, the shunter came over and said “give us a go, I havn’t done one of those for years.” So between us, we figured them out. Might come in handy some day, you never know :sunglasses: .

grins Its suprising how many times you use it. I’ve had to use ropes 3 or 4 times in the last month.

what for dapper? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :blush: :blush: :wink: :wink:

to hold him down he was trying to run away (a leg ag ally)

Once learned, never forgotten :laughing: When if first started on flat beds in the 70’s it took some guy about three hours showing me over and over again, I used dolly’s for the next 13 years and never again untill I came here, then had to secure some crap on a flat trailer with no straps, I did it naturally as if the last time had been an hour earlier :sunglasses:
It’s like riding a bike :laughing:

Me too, remember an old boy spending hours teaching me,and it is like riding a bike,you never forget,also barrel hitches,chains and tighteners,keep head well out of the way when taking them off!!! And then along came curtainsiders etc and took all the fun away?
regards derek

I still use dollies if I am roping something on the roof of the 4x4 … my Missus goes mad cos she can’t undo them then lolol

Liberace
Double Dolly’s next huh :wink: :slight_smile:

Try being left handed and being taught by someonewho is right handed thats a whole load of fun…

Like Pat says though once learnt never ever forgotten.

Undoing them is even easier just push the hoop throught the bit that goes round it (not easy), i used to walk from one side of the truck to the other until i found that one out. :wink: :wink: .

jammymutt:
Undoing them is even easier just push the hoop throught the bit that goes round it (not easy), i used to walk from one side of the truck to the other until i found that one out. :wink: :wink: .

Shhhhhhhhhh, Jammy, my Missus might see this post!!!

zorba:
Liberace
Double Dolly’s next huh :wink: :slight_smile:

Easy, only just worked the Dolly out, double dolly’s might take a bit more time. I can see me having no door handles left by the end of the weekend.

One of my Uncles was in the Navy & he came bragging oneday about tying knots, so I said can you tie a “Dolly Knot” for once I had the old zb stumped.

i learnt to do them down on the farm, roping tatty boxes stacked 3 high on a 40ft flat on a dolly on the back of my muddy wheeler, had 5 years bouncing up and down the road doing that.
learnt to sheet at the same time, whilst hauling onions in boxes on the same trailor, not fun in the tiddling rain and when the wind is blowing a hoolie up on the cambs fens nearly came a cropper several times!!!
onces learnt allways useful, i taught on old hand how to do them and doubles as well, amazing the pressure that can be applyed with a double i smashed many a tatty box with them but never lost a load unlike one of our students who dropped 36 of them all over prickwillow high street :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
if only he had of asked i would have shown him how to do them instead he used a granny knot instead, 30 mins later with the jcb telescopic i had plenty of kindling wood and about 9 decent boxes left :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
chris

Pat Hasler:
Once learned, never forgotten

Nope I’ve been taught to do them several times and then used them, change jobs and then when I need to use them again I’ve forgotton, :blush: could be like Jammymutt says I’m left handed and the guys teaching me are right handed.

I can tie dolly knots now.

Jesus christ! dont tell anybody…unless you actually like work! :laughing:

Mal:

I can tie dolly knots now.

Jesus christ! dont tell anybody…unless you actually like work! :laughing:

My joints tend to ache if I’m out in the cold/wet too long Mal, so I’m keeping well stum about it - especially with the agency I work for :laughing: :wink: . Where I’m working ain’t in the real world either, so I’d like to stay their thanks :laughing: .

trucking482002:
Me too, remember an old boy spending hours teaching me,and it is like riding a bike,you never forget,also barrel hitches,chains and tighteners,keep head well out of the way when taking them off!!! And then along came curtainsiders etc and took all the fun away?
regards derek

What’s a curtainsider :question: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Nearly 29 tonnes of steel on this trailer and not one strap or chain used :exclamation:

No chains :open_mouth: , on steel :open_mouth: .

I really hope that you don’t have a load of plate under that sheet timborosso.

I hauled steel plate for two n a half years. During that time we had two blow-outs. What had left Scunny as a 3m wide load, with a foot hanging out on each side, arrived in BSD Bellshill with two foot hanging off one side and zero on the other. Chains stopped it going straight off the side of the trailer. Ropes wouldn’t have.
The guillotined edges on steel plate are razor sharp and could cut straight through a rope or strap.

jammymutt:

To undo a dolly knot, all you have to do is, give the loop a downward tug. Not too hard or it jams up again. Just tug it hard enough to get the twist to be pulled out. Then you simply pull enough slack through to take your rope off the hook. Go all the way down one side of your load, throwing the slack rope over the load as you go. Then go to the other side of your load and pull the dolly knots out and coil up you rope as you go. Simple - stupid :laughing: :laughing: , as it needs to be, for truckers :laughing: :laughing: .

Yeah I must admit it sounds worse than it is.

There was no bright bar and no sheet or plate on there.

All black bar in bundles , and blanks on pallets.