I bet this brings back some old memories

NMP
How many of you older drivers remember this , i’m glad i missed it

ramone:
NMP
How many of you older drivers remember this , i’m glad i missed it

That looks like torture :open_mouth:

Love the lamb’s wool insulation. I had my head the other end.

Nowt wrong there , but I was lucky to live near a foam factory , so a proper foam mattress on a board . Admitted space was a problem for getting dressed but I was young and fit then . I was quite posh though , had proper curtain rails liberated from a scrap caravan .

Yes,cabbed it many times at Mrs Southalls,Mrs Albions and Mrs Leylands.Just make sure you lock the doors on the tilt cab Mandator cos if somebody opened a door it would be like being buried at sea.
And far more preferable than some of the so-called “home from home” sh*t houses that were on the go in 60s and 70s. :unamused:

Luckily for me our firm had larger than normal tachocharts so I was always at home in my own bed. :wink: Some of our Haulmasters had the Jennings foldaway bed retro fitted, one part stacked vertically in the centre of the cab and the seat backrests had to be removed. The three Sed Ak 400’s that did distance work had a bed that folded down horizontally from behind the seats, I can’t remember who made those though?

Pete.

Happy days.
I once had a Sed Atki with a day cab, a piece of board and a single air bed. Pull the curtain, fix my bed up, and in to the sleeping bag.

It certainly does,I’ve always enjoyed a banana!

David

In the '60s we were getting thirty one and six night out money today that would be worth around £30 today so not a bad perk in them days. On a cartransporter there was no way of carrying a “bed” so never cabbed it. Chatting to some of todays drivers on £25 to £30 a day expenses which I guess would cover overnight parking as well
Oily

oiltreader:
In the '60s we were getting thirty one and six night out money today that would be worth around £30 today so not a bad perk in them days. On a cartransporter there was no way of carrying a “bed” so never cabbed it. Chatting to some of todays drivers on £25 to £30 a day expenses which I guess would cover overnight parking as well
Oily

I saw a local firm advertising for trampers a few weeks back and the advert said £27 per night .Driver pays for secure motorway service parking which is around £35

Chris Webb
Good morning, just reading your post on ’ cabbing it '. Done all that with the piece of ply and a foam.
Once drove a 240 powered day cab Foden and fitted it with curtain rail and curtains made by the Mrs, not much fun though in the winter, night heater ?, what were they !
Joint Motorways fitted some of their day cab Marathons with a bed that was hinged up in the roof. On the odd occasion it would come down on your head when stowed away.
All that probably contributes to the fact that i’ve got a knackered back and have had a hip replacement.
Still good old days.
Regards Allani

Yes you were always spoil’t Ramone, no good to you anyway your feet would have been out the window, :slight_smile: , I had a multi fit board with foam that fit AEC, Scammell, ERF and Atki, always kept the bedding over the bonnet during the day to keep the noise and draft down, also multi fit curtains on string, used to hate it getting told your wagon’s in for service take the spare, took half an hour to empty the cab, happy days. Les.

Not fond memories and the seizing painful joints are testimony.
My bed on a S39 Foden cab comprised of two planks cut to size that rested on each window ledge and met in the middle on the bonnet, foam roll over them and sleeping bag on top.
Nights out were awful, always tried to find digs but inevitably many nights were spent in that spartan cab, no night heater not even a set of curtains, taped sheets of newspaper over the windows but would awaken to ice on the inside some winter nights.

S40 was a better cab design, bonnet was lower at seat level and if i recall correctly with a foam roll made an acceptable bed, S80 i don’t remember how i made the bed up probably same as S40 but the S80 boasted power steering which was a first, Leyland Buffalo was hopeless due to sloped bonnet and by then digs were getting really hard to find on general work where you couldn’t plan much more than an hour or two ahead and you could spend a valuable hour trying to find a working payphone where you could park and attempt to book your bed whilst time was ticking away.
After that came day cabs with drop down cushette bunks, eventually was issued my first sleeper cab Sed Ack 400.

CAB,SLEEPING ,YOU WERE LUCKY,in 1966 in a BMC CATTLE TRUCK ,we/i used to sleep inside the cattle box [when empty of cattle]in the LUTON,that was a space where you would keep 2 or3 bales of straw behind the cab,[the straw was for the deck for the animals to stand on and completely fill up with their daily food and water so the smell was what you would call farmyard.
you would access through the little side door just big enough for a human to get in and out of the box.

Then progressed to a super comet across the engine lump,1967/8 crumpled up like a sack of spuds lots of blankets night out money was around 17/6 d ,nice back then.
1970 BRS no cab sleeping, what a result, a sacking offence the job is slowly getting better, then 1978/onwards crusaders, non sleepers arrived flat floor cab level seats a plastic bread basket in-between seats .no more digs ,more beer money.

You could do a one hitter to Doha and back in that truck.

les-p:
Yes you were always spoil’t Ramone, no good to you anyway your feet would have been out the window, :slight_smile: , I had a multi fit board with foam that fit AEC, Scammell, ERF and Atki, always kept the bedding over the bonnet during the day to keep the noise and draft down, also multi fit curtains on string, used to hate it getting told your wagon’s in for service take the spare, took half an hour to empty the cab, happy days. Les.

I always said england wasn’t big enough for nights out , or was it my old boss that said that :wink: i once slept in a Ford Cargo 7.5 tonner at Kingston many years ago and managed to keep my feet in … just

windrush:
Luckily for me our firm had larger than normal tachocharts so I was always at home in my own bed. :wink: Some of our Haulmasters had the Jennings foldaway bed retro fitted, one part stacked vertically in the centre of the cab and the seat backrests had to be removed. The three Sed Ak 400’s that did distance work had a bed that folded down horizontally from behind the seats, I can’t remember who made those though?

Pete.

Satan.

I was lucky, the firm i drove for paid us £30 per night, this was 35 years ago and that was without a receipt, with a receipt they paid whatever it cost, I had to go down to British steel at Port Talbot late one day with some spares for a turbine, they booked me into the executive hotel Aberavan. That £30 didn’t include having to pay for lorry park or dinner, we got £7.50 per night evening meal money £2.50 lunch money and if we started early £1.50 breakfast money. Iirc I was paying around £7 a night in transport digs. Some were decent but one that stands out as very bad was Bowmans in Ardwick Manchester. Loved Newcastle as I stayed at the Rex hotel in Whitley Bay. Found some really nice places over the years.

ramone:

les-p:

I always said england wasn’t big enough for nights out , or was it my old boss that said that :wink: i once slept in a Ford Cargo 7.5 tonner at Kingston many years ago and managed to keep my feet in … just

Funnily enough when tachos were coming into everyday use we had an evening course with a chap from the RHA to explain everything, that was his answer when a driver asked about overnighting! :laughing:

Pete.

Yes when the tachos were first going to come in we had seen them in a Scania but no idea what they were going to do to our [Fiddles ,night outs] also the bosses would be able to see our, not so legal running ,the boss was there as well once the chap started we all got up and walked out but it made no difference, we had to comply, i think cards were issued 1 a day for a start if you were on locals,i think we also used the log books as well if no tacho was fitted. more cards if you were going to the docks ,a s you knew that you were either stuck until the next day or we still kept fiddling nights out.
we were working for a company amalgamated to B.R.S.we did not give a zb.