I am Canadian

It’s nearly seven years since we moved to Canada and at long last we have been granted our citizenship :smiley: .We received our PR status in Aug 2007 and were told we had to wait until Dec 08 before we could apply for citizenship ,of course that date came and went ,we downloaded the relevant forms and kept saying we’d fill them in on the weekend ,eventually we sent them off in March 2010 :unamused: .
Few months ago we get a letter out of the blue requesting myself and wifey to sit the test the following week ,minor panic sets in as neither of us had done any homework but we take turns with the ‘Discover Canada’ booklet ,glad we made the effort because although the test wasn’t that difficult there were a couple of trick questions thrown in.Failing the test will result with an interview at a later date with the chance of having to start the process all over again.
Last week we got the news that we’d passed the test,and the FTTM family have to attend the Oath ceremony in Regina this coming Monday at noon . Was it all worth it ? Absolutely :smiley:

Think you meant to say… Your name’s Joe and your Canadian! :laughing: :laughing:

(Don’t tell me you’ve never seen the beer ad!)

BOOOOOOO … Traitor, be British and proud :laughing:

Pat Hasler:
BOOOOOOO … Traitor, be British and proud :laughing:

LOL,still have to swear allegiance to her Madge ,of course,but what’s to be proud of nowadays ?

Congratulations mate. We have the forms here too and like yourself keep putting it off :unamused: My pr card is due for renewal so will do that first then early next year get the application in for citizenship. :smiley:

Nice one, made up for you all :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

You all have it better up there than donw here in the USA, we have no workers rights, no real benefits, employees are hired and fired at will with no real way to even fight back, no healthcare that helps anyone but the rich, it is not a real democracy as they think, if it were G W Bush would never have been in the Whitehouse and anyone could run for office, not the richest multi millionaire and people would be far better off, it’s not even the peoples vote that selects the president, because there can be a vast majority of votes for one man and the electoral college make the choice … so fixed :open_mouth:
If this were a democracy the Republican presidential candidate would be John Huntsman who knows what is needed to get this country straight, but he ran out of campaign money.
If you do compulsory jury duty here you get about $28.00 a day no matter how long the case goes on and lots of jurers loose everything… You think I ever want to be citizen to such a corrupt system ?
You are ok in the frozen north. I sometimes wish my family would move up there (but not Quebec :laughing: )

Congratulations FTTM.

course, now when i say “Bloody Canadians” that includes you. :wink: :wink: :smiley:

Charles

Congratulations :sunglasses:

Will you be a Dual Citizen :question:

good news … :smiley: :smiley:
18mnths till our test says the website…lol should be 54yrs by then so no test for me,just the wife :unamused: :unamused:
jimmy.

newmercman:
Congratulations :sunglasses:

Will you be a Dual Citizen :question:

Yes

JIMBO47:
good news … :smiley: :smiley:
18mnths till our test says the website…lol should be 54yrs by then so no test for me,just the wife :unamused: :unamused:
jimmy.

Tnx,why no test for you ■■

when you are 54 or older you dont get the test just see the imigration judge.
jimmy

JIMBO47:
when you are 54 or older you dont get the test just see the imigration judge.
jimmy

Haha you jammy git , My interview with the judge was easy,it turned out that both our sons had played rugby for Canada U17 and U19 so we had a great chat about the sport I love,result :smiley:

I’ll be eligable to apply for citizenship in early 2014. I had no idea that the wait was in the order of two years though, thats certainly a long time. I have read that drivers who travel to the US, have to declare so and present your logs to an immigration judge for that time to count towards the 1095 days and that could considerably delay things?

Congratulations FTTM. I bet your well chuffed!
We sent our applications off earlier in the year so we just have to wait now.

Congratulations FTTM, it’s something we are thinking of doing. steve

Pat Hasler:
You all have it better up there than donw here in the USA, we have no workers rights, no real benefits, employees are hired and fired at will with no real way to even fight back, no healthcare that helps anyone but the rich, it is not a real democracy as they think, if it were G W Bush would never have been in the Whitehouse and anyone could run for office, not the richest multi millionaire and people would be far better off, it’s not even the peoples vote that selects the president, because there can be a vast majority of votes for one man and the electoral college make the choice … so fixed :open_mouth:
If this were a democracy the Republican presidential candidate would be John Huntsman who knows what is needed to get this country straight, but he ran out of campaign money.
If you do compulsory jury duty here you get about $28.00 a day no matter how long the case goes on and lots of jurers loose everything… You think I ever want to be citizen to such a corrupt system ?
You are ok in the frozen north. I sometimes wish my family would move up there (but not Quebec :laughing: )

Pat, you are dead with the above statements. Ive been a U.S. citizen since 1999. Obviously dual.
Not quite sure of a final ruling but it was once proposed that if you didn’t apply for citizenship after a set period of time as a registered alien you would not be able to access your social security funds.
A good friend of mine returned to the U.K. and never renewed her green card on expiry, and may well be unable to draw 18 years worth.
This Country is in a right mess at the present time.

Congratulations FTTM and family.

Congratulations Mr. Flat To The Mat. Does this now mean we should now call you “Flat To The Maple Leaf” ?