I am being lazy so easier to ask than spent the time on the

Is it possible for me to hire a 7.5 ton box with tail lift in the UK to move my son ,wife and 3 kids back to the UK from The Netherlands? What experience have you had of this problem?

I predict it will be no problem…just expensive.
I’ve done it England to Scotland, obviously will be harder crossing borders but you should be allowed for your personal effects.
kendallcars.com/vehicles/7-5t-box-van/

miketdt:
Is it possible for me to hire a 7.5 ton box with tail lift in the UK to move my son ,wife and 3 kids back to the UK from The Netherlands? What experience have you had of this problem?

Depends on the hirer. I only got a 7.5 tonner years ago from Ryder to move home as the company I worked for rented vans and 7.5t trucks off them all the time. Most do not like hiring anything above 3.5 ton to anyone who does not possess an O licence from my experience. Also as you want to take it abroad even more hurdles to cross I would say.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

I suggest that you leave it to the professionals and since Brexit they will need to complete paperwork for their possessions to import

You or they will have to complete a TOR 1 form for Customs.

This ’ manifest ’ has to be minutely correct , submitted and approved before you can bring any items into the UK.

Customs took two weeks to approve the last one I did, and the dossier is valid for a year. It has to include cars, pets and then the whole itemized list of articles you want to bring in.
It has to be matching exactly .
Welcome to the post Brexit utopia kingdom.

Would it not be easier to put your son, his wife and 3 kids on a plane rather than In the back of a little lorry [emoji1787] sorry couldn’t resist.

And some valid points post Brexit that many people would not even consider would need to be done now.

As always expensive to arrange it to be done properly but sometimes you just have to lay someone to do these things.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys somethings to think about and sort, and yes his wife will fly with the 2 month old and he will follow along with the 4 & 6 year old. My younger son did the same thing last year renting a 3.5 ton van, but I know it was expensive. It will be nice having them both back in the country, the eldest has not lived here for 15 years.

If you can get a truck, not easy as Simcor says, get your TOR 1 done as OwenMoney says, then you need to consider what permits and regs apply to the truck itself and driving hours.

Since driving for yourself you may be exempt from many UK rules regarding tachos. But do those same exemptions apply in Holland and in any other countries you may transit?

Although you may not need an O-Licence tacho-card etc, you may be asked for them, and it is then up to you to prove at the roadside why you are exempt from needing them. If you do diy then obeying all EU rules may save arguments.

It not easier to maybe get your stuff shipped over in a foreign truck or shipping container then meet them at the port or a warehouse and pick it up from there in a truck
Or maybe hire a couple of Luton vans with a tail lift onstead

Yes you can do it yourself, but would I do it? Knowing the hassle, limitations, requirements and potentials for hassle …. No I wouldn’t

Sell your stuff in NL and buy what you need for your house in the UK.

miketdt:

I did that about 15 years ago: UK to ROI then back again a few years later. Your main hurdle is finding someone who will hire a vehicle that is going to leave the country. I could only find one company at the time who would do that, Ryder.