I actually heard it

After reading it on here many times, today was the day I actually heard the words come from a human being.
It is £30 per full wind of the landing legs if caught by VOSA, and that’s straight from the lips of todays CPC trainer.

hopefully he’s on a wind up but i doubt it :unamused:

maga:
hopefully he’s on a wind up but i doubt it :unamused:

At £30 per wind I doubt it! :wink:

Just tell him plain and simple…

STOP TALKING ■■■■!

Then report him to DSA and JAUPT for spouting such bull ■■■■… Seriously, the longer this prick is allowed to spout such ■■■■, the more thick ■■■■■ that will believe him!

You should have took a card in and played DCPC Bingo, 1 point for each bit of bull ■■■■.

Interesting subject, as I heard the same, not in a DCPC class though. Is there such a fine or penalty for such a offence? We have a hired trailer, on this trailer the legs won’t go all the way up like the other trailers, maybe 3-5 winds more would do it, but they just won’t budge in any gear, feels like the handle will snap/break before they move.

G6Bob:
Interesting subject, as I heard the same, not in a DCPC class though. Is there such a fine or penalty for such a offence? We have a hired trailer, on this trailer the legs won’t go all the way up like the other trailers, maybe 3-5 winds more would do it, but they just won’t budge in any gear, feels like the handle will snap/break before they move.

There isn’t a fine. Nada, nix, nothing.

It happens because of a succession of lazy drivers who don’t wind the legs all the way up through either bad maintenance or pure laziness. I always wind them right to the top, even if I have to use low gear to do it, back them off half a turn then stow the winding handle. Not difficult really.

the maoster:
It happens because of a succession of lazy drivers who don’t wind the legs all the way up through either bad maintenance or pure laziness. I always wind them right to the top, even if I have to use low gear to do it, back them off half a turn then stow the winding handle. Not difficult really.

I’m glad of the exercise to be honest :grimacing:

They have a law in hazmat over here, that the bottom of the leg must be more than 6 inches from the ground. I have been stopped both here and in the UK with the legs not fully wound up and nothing was said.

mikey h:
After reading it on here many times, today was the day I actually heard the words come from a human being.
It is £30 per full wind of the landing legs if caught by VOSA, and that’s straight from the lips of todays CPC trainer.

should have asked him to show you the relevant law in writing from the official DVSA source :wink:

did he also tell you that you had to have a 30 minute break after 6 hours working time?

shuttlespanker:

mikey h:

should have asked him to show you the relevant law in writing from the official DVSA source :wink:

did he also tell you that you had to have a 30 minute break after 6 hours working time?

That would be AT 6 Hours or before the 6th hour Spanky :wink: :wink:

I’m still waiting for the chalk one :grimacing:

Had another classic this week. Swapped trucks with a driver (mine was knackered so he had mine as he was only running back solo) and as I was about to drive off he said he was staying as he had to show 15 minutes on his card for vehicle checks.

Yeah, cheerio then, I’m off :grimacing:

Terry T:

Had another classic this week. Swapped trucks with a driver (mine was knackered so he had mine as he was only running back solo) and as I was about to drive off he said he was staying as he had to show 15 minutes on his card for vehicle checks.

nothing wrong with that maybe he knew he’d miss the other load that someone else had to do

Now my cpc trainer said that VOSA will issue a ticket if drivers have made little attempt to wind up the legs, but they don’t have to be right at the top of their travel, but the winding handle must be secured.

Herein lies much of the problem with dcpc. Every instructor seems to be singing from a different hymn sheet. VOSA (or whatever they are now) should have some clear guidelines written down, that the FTA and RHA can pass on to their drivers. There should also be a pdf download for the other hauliers that are not a member of either organisation. How you can be guilty of an ‘offence’ and fined unless that offence is clearly defined so you don’t transgress it, is still a mystery to most of us. :question:

The VOSA Enforcement Sanctions Policy - March 2014 tells us exactly what we need to know

There are two offences

1. Leg — fitment insecure and danger is caused or likely to be caused. FINE = £100
2. Pad, wheel or handle — fitment insecure and danger is caused or likely to be caused. FINE = £100

I don’t interpret the above to mean anything to do with the legs not being wound all the way up as that wouldn’t be ‘fitment insecure’. I would say it DOES count for a winding handle not stowed and so able to swing out.

Is the OP going to tell us who this so called DCPC trainer is?

Oh Yes - as a DCPC trainer myself I get the question about landing legs at least once a week, and I also get a ‘chalk’ story at least once a month. Latest fun one was “My mate got done £30 for flat batteries in his torch. VOSA said it would have been £60 if they were missing completely”. I love these stories - brighten my day and makes for some fun and games.

I have had one this year who was very serious about the Tesco chalk story complete with a bay either side being shut down and free food (yes the Police were called). He was adament it wasn’t a MMTM and actually happened to him. This was actually quite difficult for me to deal with as I can’t exactly call him a liar (he’s a paying customer after all). I loved the bit where the Police officer called in on his way home to make sure the driver had slept OK :open_mouth: :unamused:

mikey h:
It is £30 per full wind of the landing legs if caught by VOSA

Is that in low gear?

the maoster:

G6Bob:

There isn’t a fine. Nada, nix, nothing.

As far as I’m concerned that’s them wound up as far as I can get them.

Terry T:

That is what we have to do, every different truck we drive a minimum of 15 mins other work must be shown, and a minimum of 10 mins before our card comes out. I’d have done the same, getting paid for it so why not do it :smiley:

They started to do this year’s ago in Germany. Maybe if you get a jobs worth he could say that the legs are not all the way up so that could cause a danger on un even land etc. It’s how they interpret the rules

VOSA OFFICER: “Driver I am giving you a £100 fixed penalty for not winding the landing legs fully up”

DRIVER: “What are you talking about, this is a rigid vehicle, there are no landing legs on it?”

VOSA OFFICER: “Let me guess, another know it all driver that’s been on a dcpc course”

DRIVER: “Shall I just give you access to my bank account”

VOSA OFFICER: “Kerchinnng - result”… :grimacing: :grimacing:

There is a foot from the bottom of a landing leg, that looks like it has rotted off in transit, laying at the side of the A414 in St Albans. I wonder how they would explain that if stopped??

“I was so petrified of a £30 per wind fine that I brought them up so far as to ping the foot off the bottom of the leg?! Honest guv.”

Terry T:

Actually that’s law in some countries because it shows you have done your pre trip and post trips inspections. How else you gonna prove you done them??