hypothetical question .......

(or perhaps not )

a question for employers , if you were approached for work by a guy with a new licence and a full 35 hrs cpc . but the only experience he had was with vans / 7.5t .and he had been doing this professionally for only 4 years but in that time had driven as far as sicilly , czec , Germany , Austria, belgium, Holland and france . delivering pallets , cars (beavertail) ,plant hire and general if it will go on we will take it ,would you consider employing him ■■? ponder your replies then factor in this, the guy is …56 years old and consider again . your views and opinions would be appreciated there is a reason for this question . thanks in advance . oh and the trench is dug and tin hat is firmly on :smiley:

Personally, I would. At least, I’d take him on for a probationary period to see if it worked out.

the question is, does the hypothetical driver (syramax?) have a licence to drive the type of vehicles i run?

if the answer is yes, then, what is the problem?

i know a lot of companies want 2 years minimum experience, but, there are companies, such as mine, that will give a newly qualified driver a chance, at the end of the day, we all have to start somewhere

Trial at the very least, most bloke’s at 56 have quite a lot of common sense.

From my experience, attitude is sometimes far better than experience. The advantage of experience is you might be able to find out what sort of driver and employee he has been, but if he’s been doing transport work for already you might be able to check.

Attitude triumphs experience in my book :wink:

If he’s been doing that then he can obviously think for him self and I would think used to sorting problems by his self,so yes I’d give him ago .

many thanks for your replies gentlemen they have given me some (positive ) food for thought . just to give a quick explanation for the question ,I recently came into a unexpected windfall (not a lot really) that I could a) do something positive with it, or b) spend it on something frivolous , I already have a flash car :smiley: but wasn’t sure upgrading my licence would be cost effective at my age .

Live your dreams…

I wouldn’t touch you with a bargepole for being silly enough to take the dcpc and then think it somehow gives you an advantage.

It would also depend on the other candidates he would be up against.
If it’s something you want to do because you’ve always fancied it, go for it. Just be prepared to have to knock on numerous doors. I’ve no doubt that one will eventually open though.

Truckbling:
I wouldn’t touch you with a bargepole for being silly enough to take the dcpc and then think it somehow gives you an advantage.

I didn’t see it as a advantage as I understand it , its fast becoming a necessetty (excuse the spelling)

I have attitude and no job. … Think I may have obtained the wrong type of attitude but it came with the experience lol

Your age won’t be the big issue with finding employment as a HGV driver, your lack of experience will be the big issue the same as any new cat C or C+E driver.

There are plenty of people on this board who have found that experience driving 7.5t vehicles or buses/coaches did little for them when they applied for cat C or C+E jobs, having said that I’m sure there are also people who did find it a help.

My advice would be to ask this question in the PDF where it will get more views by people who have faced the same issues.

syramax:

Truckbling:

I didn’t see it as a advantage as I understand it , its fast becoming a necessetty (excuse the spelling)

It is, or at east it very soon will be, if you don’t have a DQC in September then you may as well not have an HGV/LGV licence.

Harry Monk:

syramax:

Truckbling:

It is, or at east it very soon will be, if you don’t have a DQC in September then you may as well not have an HGV/LGV licence.

And I’m sure there already companies who won’t take on drivers who haven’t done at least some, if not all, of the DCPC.