Hypothetical, is it legal?

i have an agreement with a transport manager to cover 2 shifts per week. friday and sunday nights! saturday night shifts are virtually no existant so i have been taking wednesday as a rest day and tuesday and wednesday every other week but this means a 4 day week once a fortnight

can i do this?
sunday, monday, tuesday, wednesday, thursday, friday
off saturday
sunday, monday
off tuesday, wednesday
thursday, friday

scanny77:
i have an agreement with a transport manager to cover 2 shifts per week. friday and sunday nights! saturday night shifts are virtually no existant so i have been taking wednesday as a rest day and tuesday and wednesday every other week but this means a 4 day week once a fortnight

can i do this?
sunday, monday, tuesday, wednesday, thursday, friday
off saturday
sunday, monday
off tuesday, wednesday
thursday, friday

As long as no more than 144 hours is done between weekly rests or 6 shifts in a row looking at your rota then it is fine because you have a full 2 days off together every other week for the regular weekly rest and have at least one day off for a reduced weekly rest on the other weeks

I think you missed a saturday off at the end of that list because it cannot be a work shift as that would be 9 nights in a row so well over the 144 hour limit

PS - that rota you put up does not have every weds of as you stated !!■■

i would finish at around 0630 on each saturday and start at 1700 on the sunday. that would be every week plus a tuesday and wednesday off every fortnight so it would be 5 10 shifts out of every 14 days. i only thought of this shift pattern this week and i was previously taking every saturday as a day off and every wednesday as a rest day plus every other tuesday which meant a 9 day fortnight. now i am looking at:
6 on, 1 off, 2 on, 2 off, 2 on, 1 off

scanny77:
6 on, 1 off, 2 on, 2 off, 2 on, 1 off

Legal

If you have 34.5 hours off on each of the reduced weekly rests then one can be used as compensation for the other

excellant news. thanks Rog :smiley:

The disadvantage with that shift pattern is that you cannot squeeze in another shift at any point

With most shift patterns it allows the driver to do 11 shifts in 14 days but that one only allows 10 max

the transport manager can best utilise me on night deliveries. i know the routes and procedures but they are pretty much covered every night apart from sunday and friday but very few shifts are available on saturdays so i was doing 9 shifts a fortnight. this way i can at least do 6 and 4.

the reason he wants me doing it is mainly security. each shop has a time window and they can be pretty tight. during the day they are obviously staffed but at night we let ourselves in and they are monitored remotely by a security company. there are a couple of tight ones too and with some of the latest assessment failures, i can understand why he is careful. for example:
one guy mounted the banana at a loading bay
one guy clipped a trailer pulling out of a space
one guy failed his theory when the question was ‘you are approaching a 14’9 bridge with a 15’9 trailer, what do you do?’ his answer was drop the suspension and proceed with caution :open_mouth:

7 weeks, 50 assessments, 13 passes! :laughing: